Crime & Safety in San Mateo>Question Details

Tish, Other/Just Looking in San Mateo, CA

How safe is San Matteo in terms of trouble/crime etc? we are considering moving out there?

Asked by Tish, San Mateo, CA Tue Aug 4, 2009

Hi Tish,
Sure it is a concern for home buyers. After evaluating and comparing all the choices, I chose to live here (26 years), grow my children here, grow my business here even the price of property cost more here. This is just my opinion. Local police Department will be the best person to address your concern.
Should there be anything I might help, feel free to contact me .
Web Reference:
Issues of neighborhood safety are often best referred to the local police department or the county sheriff's department. They have access to the most up to date and accurate information and are normally very willing to be hepful.

Hi, is a great website for information on crime in any given area and also speaking to the local police department might help also.
Web Reference:
Good morning Tish, I think overall San Mateo is pretty safe, but so is Burlingame, Belmont, and San Carlos. I think it really depends on what area of San Mateo you are talking about. West of El Camino is usually better, and if you are in Aragon, Baywood, Baywood Knolls, even better.

IF you can you give me some idea of your price range, I can tell you what areas you could afford. If you don't have an agent yet, please visit We are six full time agents who work the San Mateo area.

Otherwise, tell us your price range and I will tell you what areas, and then you could always check with the Police Dept to see how safe the area really is.

Dave Tap Tapper
Cashin Company
Hi Tish,

I have to completely agree with Ed. I went through the Fremont Citizen Police Academy a few years back and I can tell you that we normally only hear about 2% of what happens on a daily basis. You certainly can limit your exposure to potential crime incidents by picking a geographic area to live in. However, as they say, the best defense against crime is having a great offense, meaning, being aware of those actions that make one, and one's property, a potential target. is a good site for breaking down and mapping incidents. Unfortunately, San Mateo is not sharing their info with them. However, I found a few other sources for you:

San Mateo PD Crime Stats by neighborhood:
General Crime coverage:

Best, Steve
That's a bit of an open-ended question, but in general, San Mateo is a very safe city -- however, it doesn't matter what you pay for your home, or what neighborhood you want to live in, there's no such thing as a totally crime free area. Now, are some areas higher in crime than others? Sure, but you have that in almost every city. It all depends how much you'd want to spend to be in a neighborhood 'less likely' to be affected by serious crime.