Crime & Safety in 75115>Question Details

Jennifer Ric…, Home Buyer in Desoto, TX

How safe is Desoto?

Asked by Jennifer Richardson, Desoto, TX Sat Sep 8, 2012

Is it a good place to have your kids grow up?

Answers

5
Desoto is a wonderful place for your kids to grow up! I have to say that my children were not in the Desoto Public School system, but the city has lots to offer and most of their friends live in Desoto as well. From what I understand the schools used to be top notched but have fallen slightly in recent years. You may want to check the TEA (Texas Education Agency) website for up to date information regarding a specific school. Good luck.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
I'm a local agent to Southern Dallas county and Northern Ellis county. The number of foreclosures have dropped significantly and home values are on the rise, compared to 2-3 years ago. Inventory is tight so many homes are getting multiple offers. So there is stability in the area. The best way to truly assess an area is to contact a local agent who knows the market like the back of their hand. If an agent is more than 25 miles away from an area 9 times out a 10 they are not an area specialist.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Trulia recently launched a way to search area statistics please feel free to visit http://www.trulia.com/local/#crimes or a local police station for information on cities, neighborhoods, zip codes, etc.
Web Reference: http://www.EricaTexada.com
I moved to DeSoto when I was 4 years old. It was a very good community. However I am now 21 and I can't believe it has takin me this long to move away. Lots of thefts! Kids (and I mean from 4 years old to 16) run around like animals, cussing, yelling, littering, rough housin, and fighting! I can't remember the last time I saw someone walking down the street with their pants pulled up. GHETTO people! Foreclosure after foreclosure after foreclosure!!! Not a safe place to raise children in a good environment.

Cedar Hill is better, there are private schools, some entertainment, restaurants, and shopping. Red Oak is about 5 minutes south on I35 and it is a better community as well.
If you work in downtown Dallas the commute should be pretty easy, there is some growth regarding shopping and entertainment in Cedar Hill, Parks mall and Arlington will provide more variety. North Park mall would really be your next best choice. Schools, I would suggest you do your research. Oak Cliff is within a hop skip and a jump, Glenn Heights is just to the South and then you have Ovilla which also may be good choices for you. Housing values in the Desoto and Duncanville area are major unstable, there have been a ton of foreclosures and shortsales, at one time they were one of the hardest hit cities regarding property values. There was a DR Horton community with about 40 speck homes that foreclosed, lots of pre-owned foreclosures too. That being said if you do decide to live in Desoto and you do your homework you can get an awesome deal. If you pay a premium in that area you'll be upsidedown whenever you go to sell-for sure- Get a bargain and you'll be alright. Check out 1004 Long Meadow - that looks like a deal
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012