Asharma, Renter in Minneapolis, MN

How safe is 2534 Colfax Ave South?

Asked by Asharma, Minneapolis, MN Tue Apr 24, 2012

Looking to move from another state to MN. Trying to find a safe area - noticed that the surrounding areas have high crime rates

Answers

9
Hi, Asharma!
It's a shame, but the Department of Commerce of the State of MN does not allow us to give information about or discuss crime rates or what is considered "safe". You see, that might be misunderstood that we are trying to steer you toward or away from a property based on what WE think rather than what YOU think is best.

I would go to the City of MInneapolis website. Here's a link:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/statistics/index.htm

Good luck!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
One good tool that I like to use is http://www.spotcrime.com you can drop in an address and it will show you a 90 day crime map around the home this works best for Minneapolis and St Paul. There are some other online crime stats tools that I use for other areas, If you would like I can email you a link to those.

Kirk Duckwall
The Duckwall Team of Realtors
Edina Realty
Cell 651-303-0019
http://www.DuckwallTeam.com
Your Referrals Are Greatly Appreciated
Tune in to our Twin Cities Real Estate Radio Show Sundays at Noon on AM950
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
Everyone has a different idea of what they consider to be 'safe'. As an agent, I can't make that determination for you, but can direct you to resources that will let you know what's going on in any specific neighborhood.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
Hey Asharma:

I'm not a real estate agent, in fact I live in Brooklyn, NY now and I was just using this site to research my grandpa's house because I'm nosy like that. :) Anyway, your post caught my eye because I lived on the 2600 block of Aldrich for three years, and I love Uptown. In fact, once I get my career straight out here in New York I can't wait to move back to the quiet, clean, and friendly streets of Minneapolis. About crime, pretty much you're looking at a really safe area. I don't know where you're coming from, but I never had any major problems (as opposed to Brooklyn, where my house was burglarized the third month I was here) living on Aldrich, and it seems to me that Colfax is safer still. You do need to be mindful that you're still in an Urban area, so be careful of hucksters, etc (once when the iPhone first came out a guy asked to use my phone while walking on Lyndale, and I let him, but my friend and I mean mugged him and kept on our toes while he was using it....turns out it was a fake number. He was totally trying to jack my phone but I think he knew we would have kicked the **** out of him. haha.) Also there are a lot of bars around that area, my big planters in front of my house get turned over one night, I'm sure by some drunk idiot kids. Also, my car, which was parked on the street, got totaled one night by some drunk idiot 18 year olds in a stolen Mazda. That's the extent of the crime I have personally been privy to in that neighborhood, and most of my friends had the same experience. Just don't be stupid about your stuff, lock your doors, etc, and you'll be just fine. Tell the folks at the Bryant Lake Bowl I say hello. :)
That's a great letter. I hope you come back home, soon. I've lived on both coasts before moving here and I wouldn't live anywhere else. Asharma – take Kathyc's advice about the Bryant-Lake Bowl (it's a restaurant/theatre/music AND bowling alley.)
Flag Fri Apr 27, 2012
Sorry everyone! I meant 2536 Colfax Ave South, not 2534. Thank you for your answers!
Indeed there is no 2534 Colfax. There's a 2532 Colfax (single family home) or 2538 Colfax (apartment bldg).
We have to be very careful when clients ask us about 'safe' neighborhoods since the State of Minnesota might accuse us of steering clients away from any particular neighborhood for reasons that might be regarded as redlining. It's the real estate version of racial profiling. If by 'safe' you are asking about criminal activity, others have already produced links that can tell you what you want to know.

We can talk about the physical properties of a neighborhood – how near parks, lakes, businesses and bus lines, for example.

But, I did check out that address and didn't find it on the market. Is this a single family home or a condo? Are you sure you have the correct address? This is a mixed-use neighborhood which many people like. It's got easy access to restaurants, stores, museums, live theater and downtown as well as the the up and coming LynLake crossroads and the also-hip Uptown area. It's trendy and has a lot of beautiful older homes and condos.

If you'd like to contact me, I can tell you more. I love working with people who move here. I moved from the West Coast (I also spent time on the East Coast) about 27 years ago and fell in love with the Twin Cities. Corporations report that it's the hardest place to get people to move to and the hardest place to get them to leave. I'm sure you'll love it here, too.

Stephanie Fox
Coldwell Banker Burnet
612-728-2204
spfox@cbburnet.com
Go to the link below for the most comprehensive crime statistics for Minneapolis. Check out the crime maps and other crime statistics. The neighborhood in question is in the 5th precinct.

Right now the area around Lake and Lyndale (approx 5 blocks south) is having a mini building boom of high quality affordable apartments. LynLake is slowly becoming an affordable alternative to downtown and uptown living. And if we're lucky, we'll soon have a Trader Joes at 27th and Lyndale.
Hi Asharma,
I live at Lyn-Lake and have loved it for years. But our views of safety may be different!
Check the Minneapolis Crime maps for good info.
Colin