Crime & Safety in Milpitas>Question Details

NewHomeBuyer, Home Buyer in 95035

How is the Milpitas area in order to buy a home? Especially the one close to Able n correction center.

Asked by NewHomeBuyer, 95035 Mon Aug 13, 2007

I am concerned about the crime n safety in this area. But i really like the home we have looked for and very close to the work place.

Dont worry. The jail is well monitored and so far there is no issues.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2007
In 2006 when there were several large residential developments popping up around the correction center, there was the same concern as you are having now. However, the benefits outweighed the "risks." This link: is to a great article about the city of Milpitas, a summary of what it has to offer, etc. With Silicon Valley employees traveling over 50 miles for work, it was becoming tiring and with the lack of land around, people needed housing closer to their job sites, which resulted in the developments built eerily close to the Milpitas jail.

This link brings you to a summary showing the crimes that took place in Milpitas:… The crime level in the city is below the national average. The city itself is very family-oriented and it continues to steer towards encouraging that trend by improving their schools, maintaining shopping centers, and keeping the
neighborhoods safe.

I have a few friends and a few clients who moved to homes around the correction facility in Milpitas when the new developments were built in 2006 and they all love it. They've had no complaints, there has been no trouble with the prison facility, and the life they know there is much better compared to the 2-3 hour commutes of the past. If you want to get a good feel of the neighborhood, consider driving around the house at different times during the day and night. See if you would feel comfortable at all times and get a feel for how you like it. That could really help with your final decision making. Good luck!
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 13, 2007
Actually we have the lowest homicide, like 1 last year? And they even think the body was just moved there from another city.
The area is not a threat to the community.. I lived here just a few blocked away and I haven't heard any mishap inside the correctional facility. Milpitas is one of the best place to settle in, there are more work available than the population. The mayor and his members are great and the police force are awesome. They monitor houses suspected of bad activities, even when you leave your garage door open, they'd knock on your door and let you know.
Milpitas is a terrific area to buy a home. Great schools, shopping and close proximity to
Silicon Valley and Fremont.

The Correction facility is secure, and mostly for DUI, drugs and short term stays.

Since I've lived in Milpitas for nearly 20 years, I'd like to say that Milpitas is first in order when buying a house. And, there's no issue with safety to buy a home in that area as you're likely to purchase in the day time. If you're somehow asking about potentially living there, there's still not much to worry as I've not heard of additional crimes in the area related to those already in the correctional facility.
Web Reference:
I go to the Great Mall all the time and I've never felt in danger. The average stay at Elmwood is 3 months. There are a lot of new homes there. If you are interested in BMR homes in Milpitas I can help you.
As far as the Correction Center: Elmwood. I would call the Milpitas Police Department or see if the city website offers local crime statistics.
My brother lives in that area and I constantly visit him. It is nice. Although, Abel is congested with traffic at rush hours. There is easy access to the highways, schools and shopping locations and calTrain, ie: Great Mall is minutes away.
Milpitas is still affordable and still has quite a bit of potential. As to the crime in the area I would check with the local PD to see what the stats are for the area. Also, be sure to always back out any white collar crime in the area. Good luck
Web Reference:
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in ,
Call the local polics department, ask for the community relations officer, and ask detailed questions. Milpitas is a great comunity and prices are reasonable. Good luck!
Web Reference:
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
there is a lot of new construction in the area going on, so it should be in the city's best interest to keep things safe and protect their investment