Crime & Safety in Astoria>Question Details

Isabella, Home Buyer in Astoria, Queens, NY

Hi Anthony...I'm quite aware of all the reasons Astoria is so desirable. But haven't you read the news

Asked by Isabella, Astoria, Queens, NY Wed Jul 23, 2008

recently? There has been some criminal activity in good ol' Astoria...just last month, someone was shot by police at the housing projects on Shore Blvd. by the park and last year a woman was raped on 28th street between Ditmars and 23rd avenue. Just pick up a local newspaper and you'll see criminal activity taking place in Astoria, unfortunately. So for you to say there is no crime to speak about is completely false and misleading. Oh and by the way, my car was vandalized and broken into 2 years ago while parked in my safe Astoria neighborhood!

Answers

3
North of the Triborough Bridge, and South of Ditmars Boulevard is a good bet if you want a quiet, conservative, more family-oriented and more European feel. Broadway, Steinway or the area around Kaufman Astoria Theaters are good bets for younger people who want at livelier, noisier area with plenty of nightlife. The area around Ditmars has the most convenient shopping, doctors and transportation and would be particularly good for elderly or physically limited people. I've lived in the area for nearly 50 years and my parents and grandparents lived here also.
Realtors are not allowed to comment on neighborhoods or school districts...it is against our rules and regulations.

I don't believe you will ever find anywhere that is without some sort of problem.

My husband was raised in Astoria and we still own the two-family. Since the 1950's, we had one break in. We as homeowners, not Realtors, have always loved the area and have never thought of selling.

You have to be comfortable with where you move...One place may be comfortable for me, but you may hate it. Please make your own decisions after making your own investigations.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 23, 2008
Stay east of 21st is a good rule of thumb. You avoid projects, stinky sanitation parking areas, and h00ker prowling areas. Stay North of Broadway, as that is the more hopping area, but also only as far North as Ditmars.

Move out when you have kids. Its just too much like cramped like Manhatten for kids, with fewer parks.