Crime & Safety in Wilmington>Question Details

Sandy, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Help, I am so confused about safe-ish neighborhoods in the Wilmington area.

Asked by Sandy, Chicago, IL Tue Sep 16, 2008

I need to move to Wilmington rather quickly. Because of the housing market and my job, the only loan I qualify for requires a huge down-payment. Consequently, my max home price is $130,000 and that's absolute max, I'm more comfortable looking in the $100,000 range. However, I have found many homes I LOVE in downtown Wilmington, but now I hear it's unsafe almost everywhere downtown. I researched a bit and can not pin-point the areas that are bad. I am by no means someone who needs manicured lawns, and a Starbucks on the corner. I live in an "up and coming" area of Chicago now, I don't mind homeless people and rats, I just don't want to get shot sitting on my porch. How dangerous are talking and where are the "okay" areas

Answers

7
Sandy,

This is a hard question to answer, as in most downtown area this information can change from block to block! I am attaching a link that you can type street addresses in and see the list of police reports for that area. You can also call the police department tell them the address and they will tell you about the area, sometimes if you may be able to speak with the police officer that covers that area.

The link for the information is : http://www.starnewsonline.com/section/news4602

The number to the Wilmington Police Department is: 910-343-3600.

If you are not yet working with a buyer's agent, I would love to speak with you to see how I can help you.

Best of Luck,
Michelle
Sandy, you have many replies from REAL ESTATE AGENTS looking to make some cash. Stay away from downtown, I saw a girl laying on the sidewalk in her own blood after someone banged on my car window telling me to call the police because she had been stabbed there on new years eve. Stay off of numbered streets and any street for that matter within 10 minutes of downtown. It's not safe
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 26, 2009
If this is a concern you can contact the Wilmington Police Dept at 910-343-3600 and they can give you information about areas that have a higher crime rate. I don't know of a location that you should fear getting shot sitting on you porch. As a Realtor and owner of property in the Downtown area, I have been all over Downtown and I have never feared for my life. Some things you hear are just rumors. Also the City of Wilmington has a HOP program for anyone that qualifies, you can get financing through the city, as long as you purchase in the city you may qualify for some financing with the city a 0% interest. This is worth cecking out if you do decide to move to Wilmington. For more information call me at 910-262-8101.
I moved to Greensboro, NC from Wilmington but kept my home down there (it is rented to a family member). My house is a mile from downtown - its also 80 years old with lots of character. It sounds like you and I have the same taste in houses . I'd be happy to talk with you and possibly turn you onto some areas with homes of that style if you'd like. Feel free to give me a call. Good luck!
Hi Sandy,
Wilmington does have a higher than average crime rate, but it's certainly not out of hand. There has been some violence downtown recently, but it's typically very late at night after the bars close. I also expect that with so much attention from the media, WIlmington Police will be taking a closer look. However, in your price range, you may be better off in another part of town. Would you consider a condo or townhome, or is a house a must? What's more important to you, condition, or size? I agree with Yolanda, it would be best if you found a short term rental while you hunt. I have a furnished 3 BR rental close to downtown, reasonable rate, available after the 21st of Sept. Call me if you would like to know more about it. We could do as little as one month. 910.262.8820 By the way, from what I hear, if you can live in Chicago, Wilmington should seem like Emerald City.
Web Reference: http://www.homevaluator.org
Sandy,
I found there are some nice townhomes in your price range but the homes I saw in your price range in the downtown area are not where I would enjoy living the most. I urge you to find a short term rental or stay with friends for a month while you ride around and look at neighborhoods during Fri.evenings and at other times to get a feel of how the neighborhoods suite you. Traffic is also a concern.I am a realtor at Keller Williams and have lived in this town for 30 years. I frequently laugh when I see things marketed as up-and coming because most of the time you will have a tough time reselling those jewels. Crime statistics can be seen online at starnewsonline.comI agree with the idea to consult a local lender. I love living in Wilmington and hope you will also.
Yolanda Evans
Keller Williams
Hi Sandy,

I have lived in Wilmington for the last 7 years and feel perfectly safe here even in "downtown" Wilmington. The crime stats are not accurate of our area. You are not the first person that has posed this question to me. If your price range, is a $100K there are areas you can look in and feel safe.

Are you currently working with a Realtor in Wilmington? If not, I would be glad to help you. Also, your loan pre-approval you may want to have that reevaluated by a local "Wilmington lender. They are active in the market here and make lending based upon the market and not so much the lending guidelines. Please call or email me if I can help you. Justin King, Coldwell Banker Sea Coast Realty, (910) 264-6449, justinking@seacoastrealty.com