Crime & Safety in Foley>Question Details

David Parks, Home Buyer in Quinton, VA

Foley Crime 2x Alabama's

Asked by David Parks, Quinton, VA Wed Nov 12, 2008

I was attracted to Foley until I saw the crime rates are more than twice Alabama's. If we buy there, isthere some way to feel safe?

Answers

4
I know this was asked and answered a while back, but on the off chance that there may be others interested in living in or relocating to Foley, I would like to offer a local perspective on this.

First of all, crime rates, as I understand them, are statistics gathered from data collected from police reports. Perhaps a better question would be, what kind of crime is being reported that makes it seem that this is a dangerous place to live? I would suggest that you go get that information from the police department, or from someone who lives there right now.

Since Foley is so close to the beach, it is a gorgeous place to choose to live. It is convenient to so many things; it is about half way between Mobile and Pensacola, and though it is still a small town, it has so many big town conveniences, from the outlet mall to to tons of dining options, to convenient health care.

You can choose to live in town, out of town, near the water, on the water, in subdivisions gated or ungated, but no matter what you ultimately choose, the prices are great and you can feel just about as safe there as anywhere else, just taking your normal precautions.

Feel free to call if you have any more questions!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 8, 2009
Without seeing the specific data that you are referring to and actually living in Foley for many years, I'd venture the following opinion.
The local police departments from Orange Beach to the interstate, are familiar with thefact that our population is heavy in vacationers and weekenders that come to relax and have a good time. They do an incredible job of keeping order amid the chaos of vacationers. I suspect that if you were to analyze who commits crime down here it would not be the locals. If our crime rate is higher it is also because of their watchful eyes and their diligence. It has been my experience that Foley for one is a very safe place to live, where an unusual number of people still don't lock their doors and you could walk from one end of the town to the other at midnight and not be disturbed. It is, of course, possible to be foolhardy and be in the wrong place at the wrong time, the same as anywhere else. We hope you come to live here, as long as you, too, plan on being a law abiding citizen.
Hi David,

I always advise my home buyers to check with the local police department about any neighborhood they are considering purchasing in.

Good luck in your home buying quest!

June Watson, Realtor
Weichert-ProSouth
Web Reference: http://junewatson.com
Smith and Wesson LOL

You need to talk to the local police station, teachers, or find a local church and ask about the area most of the crime could be located in one area.

Home security system
Large DOG

Its hard to say if you will feel safe don’t know your personality but if your having this much concern I would just look in another area

Good luck and I hope you find a great place and you have the right to feel safe and I understand your concerns I have 4 children and I like being in the country where no bodies is around so that I feel safe for them.