lisa_b51555, Other/Just Looking in Saint Louis, MO

Does the State of Missouri require a seller to disclose if the house has had multiple break ins?

Asked by lisa_b51555, Saint Louis, MO Mon Dec 10, 2012

My daughter bought her first house in January 2012. She has been broken into twice in the last three weeks and had everything of value taken....the second time the alarm was engaged, but evidently didn't help. She found out from the insurance company that the house had been broken into three times previously, but this was not disclosed by the seller.
Thanks!
Lisa

Answers

6
Dan Brassil’s answer
Unfortunately for your daughter, that info does not have to be disclosed but on the flip side, I do not think she would want to disclose that information is she was the seller. I use Night Hawk Security for my alarm system, a dog (they also make good pets), and talk radio when I am not at home.
No the owner is not required to disclose that information. Legally the buyer is responsible for that kind of information when making the decision to buy a home. It is unfortunate that she has to endure this but there are multiple reputable alarm companies that can call the police. Maybe she should look into some. I wish you the best.
Hi LIsa,

I am sorry to hear of your daughters trouble. It is up to the buyer to check out the crime statistics of the neighborhood. It does not have to be disclosed.
I am so sorry that this has happened to your daughter. Unfortunantly, it is not a requirement on the sellers disclosure statement in St Louis, in fact there is not even a section for "break-ins" and "theft" on the form. There is however, a requirement on the sales contract for the buyer to check with their insurance company to see if the home is insurable within 10 days of having an accepted contract. While the home may have been insurable, her rates were probably higher because of the previous break-ins, so I am surprised that her insurance agent didn't make a comment at that time about the break ins rather than telling her about them after 2 more break-ins had occurred.

I would suggest that your daughter check with her municipal police dept, as many will do a courtesy walk through of a home and give suggestions on ways to help prevent crime, the types of locks and alarm systems that are best, etc. I would also suggest that she make a point of meeting her neighbors and talking to them about the break-ins and seeing if they have had issues as well. I would also suggest that she talk to them about setting up a neighborhood watch so they all look out for each other. A great way to start is with a neighborhood get together (cookie exchange perhaps for the holidays) to get to know each other and to start the ball rolling

It is actually illegal for a Realtor to say that an area has a high crime rate, the most we can do is refer a buyer to the local police and websites to check ALL the homes they are looking at for their crime rate, if we tell someone to check the crime rate for one neighborhood, but not for another, we can get in serious trouble. Here is one of the resources that we refer clients to:
http://www.slmpd.org/crime_mapping.html
Unfortunately, no there aren't any disclosures that would require that. You can always do a search to look into the crime in an area before buying a home. Ask your agent for that info.
Unfortunately, there are no specific obligations for the seller to disclose break-ins prior to the sale of a home in the state of Missouri. However, it can be a part of a good faith understanding to share experiences that can help a buyer understand what precautions he/she can take living in the home. It's always a good idea to inquire about police statistics before moving into a home when these concerns arise.