Will  Harris, Home Buyer in Bronxville, NY

Does anyone know if Upper Vailsburg is a high crime (property crime) area?

Asked by Will Harris, Bronxville, NY Fri Apr 16, 2010

Answers

8
As far as safety is concerned--your best source of information is the local department, why not visit/call, ask all your questions and hear all there is to hear firsthand, they'll gladly help. If you are not too familiar with the area, drive through the neighborhood more than once and at different times of day to get a sense of belonging.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 16, 2010
use to live on Kerrigan by mount Vernon ave"ivy hill"section ofcourse theres crime but compared to Newark as a whole very low
Lovelyflower, I didn't know there was a separate crime rate for "Upper Vailsburg". Please share them as well as the projected crime rate for the area .

Will - 20 years ago Upper Vailsburg was actually somewhat on the decline as were many inner cities due to increased drug activity in the late 80's and 90's. The area is actually better now than it has been and probably among the safest in Newark. But I agree that the best bet is to visit the area different times of the day and also talk to homeowners and the police.
Realtors should never give crime stats to a buyer. It can change from day to day - year to year. I suggest you call the local police department and ask.
Upper Vailsburg is not a place to raise childrens. High crime rate. I personally would not buy a home in that area. This area will only get worst. 20 Years ago it was a beautiful area. Please rethink about buying a home in this area if you have children.
Will, I know the area very well. Grew up there and still invests in the area. 'Upper Vailsburg' is often referred to as 'Ivy Hill' and really starts west of sanford avenue on up into South Orange (the area borders Seton Hall University). Whether or not the crime is "high" there depends on what you're accustomed to and what you're comparing the area to.

If you're comparing the area to the rest of Newark, it's pretty low. But compare it to the suburban towns neighboring the area, Maplewood and South Orange, and it's ok. Personally, if I was really concerned with the crime but wanted to stay in Newark, I wouldn't mess with anything North of 18th Avenue and East of Sanford Avenue (look on the map and you'll see what I'm talking about). Good luck.
Hi Will,

There are several websites available online where you can explore crime statistics in just about every town in the country. This would be your best bet in terms of getting specific information for Upper Vailsberg. Feel free to contact me via e-mail if you have any questions regarding home values in Vailsberg.

Best of luck to you.

Marsha B. Washington
Coldwell Banker
marsha.bowenwashington@cbmoves.com
Hi Will, I don't know but I'll be checking back to see the answers. I was born there!!!