Jim, Home Buyer in Irving, TX

Do bars on windows indicate problem crime?

Asked by Jim, Irving, TX Wed Jan 26, 2011

A few houses in Nichols Way neighborhood in Irving, TX have them, but not necessarily on all the windows. Are they decorative or protective? Will I be safe buying a house here and living in it? Should I leave the bars up or take them down?

Answers

6
Kim Nwachukwu, Texas Realtor’s answer
Hi Jim. In my opinion the grates on windows, especially in older homes, do not necessarily indicate that there is a crime problem. Many years ago it was fashionable to put the grates on windows, crime or not. I personally think they are a fire hazard and would never place them on my own home, and I would probably remove them if they were on a home I might purchase. Lynn, who posted earlier, is correct when she says you should check with the city PD to determine crime stats in any given area. Crime can happen anywhere; it does not discriminate by price range, demographic or any other kind of variable. If someone wants to get into your property badly enough, they'll get in - no matter what kind of security you have. Many police departments nationwide will tell you that some of the very best security measures are lighting and barking dogs. If an area is brightly lit a criminal will usually pass it by - motion sensitive outdoor lighting is great for this. And a barking dog draws attention criminals don't want - they need to be unseen to do their dirty work.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 26, 2011
You need to check Police webstie for crime against professional code of ethics make a comment HOWEVER we can direct you .

Bars on windows - you need confirm with city code if violation they could be consider a fire hazard.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 26, 2011
Hey Jim,

The Nichols Way neighborhood does not have a historical high crime rate (as least over the past few years). You can check the Irving PD website for more detailed information. The bars were more than likely installed in the 80's or 90's when crime was a bigger problem in Irving.

As for your concern about safety, the best source is talking to some of the neighbors are how quiet the neighborhood is. I live very close to this neighborhood and can tell you that it is very safe and the neighbors take pride in home ownership.. Good Luck!
If you are not too familiar with the area, do re-visit more than once and at different times of day--drive around, possibly chat with locals, look at everything that is important to you, etc.--for any crime concerns do visit the local police department and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand, then make your determination, will you be happy living there....
Jim,

Checking with the local authorities may clarify thing for you. I would speculate that if multiple homes in a close proximity the your subject home have take the same percaution, it would be a good idea to pay attention to the message that's being sent.

Before buying, always be on the safe side and follow through on your suspicions.......

Hi Jim,

I would check with the local police dept. or a local realtor. Either one can give you a run down on the areas crime rate and be able to set your mind at ease. Also, check with people who live in the neighborhood and get there perspective of the area. Main thing is, gather as much information as you can and educate your self, then make a decision based on that information. Buying a house is not something to jump into without all the information.