Butch, Home Buyer in Historic District -...

Crime in the Historic District of Savannah, GA

Asked by Butch, Historic District - South, Savannah, GA Sat May 16, 2009

Muggings, Break-ins etc. How safe is it to walk around at night?

Answers

6
as far as crime just look at the 3 murders this week in the historic area. ive had opportunities to buy in that area but the thought of my wife walking in that area is unbearable. anyhow my best advise is for anyone to be armed legally if you live anywhere in the city limits. im not an agent but am trying to give unbiased opinions.remember it only takes one time to end your life as happens all to frequently. i can tell you of places where i was the same day or day before and there was a killing forreason but robbery. there are multitudes of examples.
Hi...I am a Real Estate Broker in NC. I was born and raised in Savannah, and I am thinking of moving back home. I am trying to determine how the Real Estate Market is right now in the Savannah area. Any info would be appreciated. :)
I have lived in the Historic District for almost ten years and have never had an incident. My neighbors are close and we all look out for each other. When we are out of town, they keep an eye on our house. The police have a big presence in the area as well as SCAD security. And because we all walk everywhere, we know our surroundings and are aware of anything out of place. It is a truly wonderful place to live and raise a family.
Butch,

Regardless of where you're considering buying a home - whether it's downtown, southside, West Chatham, etc. - I strongly encourage you to investigate the neighborhood of interest. The best way to do this, as others have stated, is by checking with the local police department here in Savannah. You can look online as well. Many popular sites such as Yahoo! have information that you might find helpful. Crime can happen anywhere, and using good judgment and listening to your gut instinct is always smart.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Georgia/Savannah/neighborhoods
This is an excellent question as there are a lot of myths about the crime rate in the Landmark district - just ask anybody that lives in the suburbs! You need to excercise caution when walking at night - as you would in any Metropolitan area - and secure your home properly. Most parts of downtown are fairly well lit, and there are usually plenty of people around, especially when SCAD is in session.

The police department can provide actual crime statistics for different blocks, and these are published in the Savannah Morning News each Monday.

I have lived Downtown for 20 years and have raised a family here, and all my real estate transactions are in the Historic Districts, so I feel confident in giving you this information. Is there petty crime that needs more attention - yes! Would I live anywhere else in this area - absolutely not, it's fantastic living downtwon. Hope this helps.
Hi Butch.

You aren't the first person I've encountered that asks this question. I always tell people 2 things...

1.) You can go to the Police department in the area and speak with them about crime statistics and reporting, I since I am not in a position to accurately report on or quantify that question.

2.) I have lived in Savannah my whole life, in various areas of the city including the historic district, and never had a single problem. I never put myself in a position where I would be unsafe, no matter what neighborhood, or city I am in.

Here is a website that I like to look at now and then... but if this is something that truly concerns you, take a trip to the police station.