Crime & Safety in Vallejo>Question Details

Brad Prickett, Home Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

Closing on a house on Central Ave in Vallejo. Crime in the area?

Asked by Brad Prickett, Pittsburgh, PA Sun Mar 3, 2013

I am in the final leg of closing on a house on Central Ave, and I am curious as to the crime in the area. I know that generally speaking, west of 80 tends to have a bit higher crime rate. Does anyone have any idea about that particular area?

This area used to be a lot worse. It's cleaned up a bit and over the past 7-10 years. I bought my first home on the 400 block of Wallace Avenue in 2004. We saw / heard more activity because of being so close to Benicia street and there used to be a lot more drug issues in the particular area. Not there anymore. Literally, two months after I bought the house someone was shot and killed on the corner of Starr and Wallace next to the middle school. Other than that there was no other crime the or incident that was a concern for use while we lived there. The shooting was a one off incident and it was likely gang related and outside of their territory. My kids have played soccer for the Pal league and use the field on Wallace there for over 12 years.

It's not the best or greatest of neighborhoods, but it's definitely NOT the CREST! I have no regrets about buying our first home in that area and I would do it again. All our neighbors were great and we all got to know one another and watched out for each other.

You will be fine and hopefully learn to like the community as we have over the years and I am originally from San Rafael, Marin County.
Where is the "crest"?
Flag Thu Mar 14, 2013
I do not think crime is all an east west thing in Vallejo. Central would probably be in the middle of the spectrum on crime.. I beleive most homes are owner occupied and fairly well kept . Certainly check with the police dept for better informatiion. I just rented part of a duplex on Wallce a block away for an owner who has lived there over 20 years and has had no issues at all.
Check out Trulia's community info tab at the top of their site. This link will give you crime, schools and local info, it is a great buying tool.
Web Reference: