Crime & Safety in Roxbury>Question Details

Rebecca Bull…, Home Buyer in Rocking

Can you tell me how safe this area really is? Would it be safe for 3 females to live here?

Asked by Rebecca Bullard, Rocking "M" Ranch, Midland, TX Fri Jul 26, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3116170915-10-Wayne-St-1-Bost…

Answers

11
Really the answer is the same for any urban neighborhood, reputation aside. If you are a fearful, timid and underexposed to city life, you will probably be uncomfortable and give off signals of vulnerability that may make living in such a neighborhood difficult. If you are self aware, responsibly street smart, and observant of local norms, you should be fine. I have lived in many neighborhoods in Roxbury and have never been a victim of violent crime there (victim of theft). Also, close friend of mine hosts foreign exchange students on a regular basis for going on 5 years and not one of them has ever reported having any difficulty. Again look at crime stats etc, but really, think about the type of person you are and what would allow you to live comfortably.
Female humans? I'd bet...I'm not sure but I'd bet lots of "females" live in Roxbury without (or with just as much fear as men) of crime.
I would use Trulia's info. Under local info, there is a tab for crime. It seems their stats are straight from the police blotter.
So... Real Estate agents cannot answer questions about crime, but you have a couple of options. 1) You can go to the local police station, if you contact me with the address I can get you the address of the local Boston police station in that area. 2) You can use the community report on Trulia!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 22, 2013
The crime is high in Roxbury.
Just noticing the address. My sister lived on Wayne St for many years with her husband and 4 young boys, without any problems. There was crime as in most city neighborhoods, but they never were part of it.
It all depends on what neighborhood you live in and what your daily activities are. If you have to be out at night, try not to travel alone or drive. Always be aware of your surroundings just like in any other city or neighborhood of Boston. Don't wear headphones or get distracted by your phone. Certain areas are safer than others. Walk in lighted areas. I am a female living in Roxbury and feel reasonably safe.
Trulia, has an excellent feature that lets you check the crime in an area, it may not be 100% correct but it may give you some input.

Also as others have stated, it never hurts to ask the police about crime and sex offenders in an area.
Hi Rebecca!

It's a lovely property but as a petite blonde woman, I would honestly pick somewhere else for myself. I can recommend absolutely charming, safe areas by Somerville, Boston, and Cambridge. If you need help, please feel free to contact me at any time!
Clare (401) 480-3981

Clare Jerome
Weichert Metropolitan Boston RE
297 Newbury Street Suite 301
Boston, MA 02115
Hi Rebecca,

In a good or bad neighborhood you'll never get the true answer to that question by a real estate agent.

I'll give you the default answer, "Its best to contact the local police station and ask them about the specific crimes that concern you. Or do some online research, there are websites that provide local crime statistics."

But the funny thing is, that answer is probably the best answer, better than the typical, hot air salesmen stuff, us real estate agent pitch.

Hi Rebecca - I am an agent in Boston from Fort Worth. I'd be happy to assist you. Send me an email at your convenience at mindy@myhomesboston.com