Crime & Safety in Smyrna>Question Details

Newbie, Home Buyer in Smyrna, GA

Buying a home and Break-ins

Asked by Newbie, Smyrna, GA Sun Aug 30, 2009

We liked a lot and left the earnest deposit last week. The lot is at the end of the subdivision. It is not a gated community and there are trees next to this lot and there are no homes in the front also (dead end). Just spoke to a neighbor and he told me that there was a break-in in the house next to the lot. But he told me that the house doesn't have any security system.

I am little bit concerned now that it being a corner lot and no homes in the front and also on one side, would it be vulnerable for the break-ins? or having a security system would make it no different than any other home in the neighborhood.

Just wanted to get some opinions. I appreciate any answers!

Answers

5
Newbie,

A single break-in does not denote a "crime wave" in the neighborhood but is should get your attention. We agree that a security system would be a good idea. Fencing, having a dog, outdoor lighting, and surveilance cameras can also be useful deterrents.

Alarm systems are always good. Smyrna police react very quickly.
Newbie -
Congratulations on finding a great home! You are correct to be concerned, and to use your due diligence period to do any and all research on the home on which you have placed an offer. Asking neighbors is a great technique; also visiting websites and checking out police precinct information can be helpful. Calling alarm companies might be useful, as you can get quotes for service and statistics on activity in your area at the same time. Good luck with your contract!
Ali
Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the response. This neighborhood is almost sold out and there are couple of lots left. Having the house at the far end of the neighborhood make it vulnerable for breakins?

The other option I have is two lots interior on the same road but it is next to a detention pond.

Please advise!
how complete is the nbrhod?
how many standing homes and how many empty lots?
it the majority fo the nbrhood is not finished, i don't think this would be a good investment.
if the builder goes bankrupt, the bank will end up trying to sell the empty lots and you won't be sure who or wnen these will sell....smaller homes or no homes may end up in the nbrhood, which would bring your value down.