Crime & Safety in 78744>Question Details

Khenrickson, Real Estate Pro in Austin, TX

Based on Austin PD stats, approx 40% of Austin murders in 2011 took place in Zip codes 78744, 74745, and 78748. Any insight re: these zip codes?

Asked by Khenrickson, Austin, TX Mon May 14, 2012

Answers

5
Virutally every neighborhood has some sort of crime. I think the areas you have mentioned have a lot of inexpensive rental property (ie: apartments, duplexes, four-plexes, etc.). Which means there are lots more people in a smaller area which in turn means more crime. I suggest if this is an area your considering you should look at all the pros and cons and decide where you really want to be. Just because crime stats are done by zip code does not mean the entire zip code is "bad".
I don't know what percentage of the population of Austin resides in those three zip codes, but they are all south Austin zip codes which cover a lot of ground and some densely populated areas, including larger apartment complexes. Perhaps these statistics just reflect the overall population distribution by zip code. I believe if you look at the big picture - not just murders, which are after all, occuring infrequently in Austin for a town of its size - you will see more issues in the vicinity of Rundberg and I-35. The good news there is that APD has increased police presence in those neighborhoods and encouraged more community involvement.
Hello K,
My question to you is "have you driven through there at night and on weekends?"
If you were there regularly it would be apparent the area attracts a rough element.

I was a new home builder off of Bluff Springs for a time about 5 years ago.
We had interested buyers shy away from the area when the surroundings scared them off.
The risk of crime is just greater there than in some other areas of the city.
Many people we met chose to live in other areas, unless they had no other choice.

We'll be happy to help you find a safe and attractive area to live in Austin.
There are several other areas in affordable price ranges to select from.
Check us out at " http://;www.HotAustinProperties.com " and give us a call.
We look forward to hearing from you.

Mike and Alice Newman
512-636-4518
Hot Austin Properties Team
I think it's more important to have perspective on Austin's crime rate (and murder totals) compared with most cities this size or larger. I think the number of murders in 2011 was 27, which was a rate of 3.4 incidents per 100,000 population. The number was down from 2010.

If you need a resource to review crime statistics, let me know.
Sounds like a leading question. Horrible crimes are not caused by 5 digits. What are your specific questions about the neighborhoods?

Scott R Hamilton | Sky Realty
http://www.scotthomesales.com
YOU Gave the best answer Scott, It is not about the digits, I lived in Houston decades ago when crime was less but still rampant [high population density does have an effect], and not everyone can afford to live in an affluent neighborhood, and some of us can only afford a neighborhood like dove springs, which for all your reader's information was worse, 20 years ago. We have lived safely in 78744 / dove springs area for 10 years and many times inadvertantly leave the door unlocked, there are lots of small kids within 100 yards, we must be lucky, or blessed or both, but it is unfair of all the agents who judged, dissed, and offended people who sometimes have no choice but to choose the lowest prices in town because of our economic conditions, employment limitations, or even lack of a vehicle, resulting only in dependency on a bus system. Sounds Like Those Agents are not willing to move or help people if they need an agent if they want those zip codes. Still Being Judgemental is Wrong!
Flag Sat May 10, 2014