Melissa, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Art Museum area safe and kid-friendly?

Asked by Melissa, Philadelphia, PA Fri Mar 30, 2012

Hi there - my family and I are moving to Philly this summer and are focusing on the Art Museum area. We currently live in DC and love it, and have lived in NYC previously (and loved it). I have two young kids. The Philly crime map scares me a bit, but I know it can be very misleading. Is the Art Museum area a safe neighborhood and kid-friendly, and are there particular sections/boundaries within the area I should consider? We like urban living and the normal, quality of life crimes don't bother me (car windows smashed, etc), but violent crime is another story (muggings, etc.). Thanks so much!

Answers

8
Hello Melissa,
While Emily is right, as agents we cannot discuss crime or other such statistics, I can tell you as a resident of the Art Museum area - it is safer than many others and parts may be quite upscale.
There is much development here, restaurants, a great park area, and, of course the museums.
I would be happy to guide you through your property search and even give you a street-property tour if you are here any time soon.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Dmytro V. Bova
Realty Mark - The Diamond Group-Real Estate Sales
Main Line Investors Group - Property Management
700 E. Township Line Road, Suite 100
Havertown, PA 19083
Tel: 610-348-8389
Tel: 610-449-1919 x.223
Fax:484-453-8313
Licensed In Pennsylvania
Melissa,
As real estate agents, we can not expand on the crime statistics. Its considered steering. However, I can share with you that a very dear friend of mine lives in that exact vicinity and has a 14 yr old daughter. She loves it there. Her daughter goes out with friends to various functions and she never seems worried to me! I can put you into contact with her if you would like a little more personal conversation that we as Realtors just can't have. You can also call the police and ask about the crime statistics in more detail.

to search for properties at any time feel free to visit my search site: http://www.montcohomeinfo.com/search-for-homes/
You can set up a list of favorite homes to see when you arrive here! You can also get updates when a new property becomes available!

Please let me know how I can help further and have a great Friday night!

Emily Landis Torres
Realtor, PA Licensed since 1993
RE/MAX Central
Direct: 267-640-2327
Fax: 267-354-6866
Email: emily@emilyshomeinfo.com
Website: http://www.emilyshomeinfo.com
Melissa,

Another factor to consider when moving to Philadelphia with a family is schools. I moved to Philadelphia from New York in 2005 after researching the public and private schools here, and then decided where to live as many of the public elementary and middle schools require that you live in the "catchment" area to guarantee your child placement. If you need help making decisions regarding the where to send your children to school, I would be a good resource for you.

Best...
HI Melissa,
The Art Museum area is generally considered safe and very kid-friendly area but as with every neighborhood, there are parts that are better than others. While it is a vast generalization so I'd rather talk to you in more depth, I would say that the areas further west and south tend to be a little greener and cleaner than the areas east and north. If you want to talk more about specific areas/boundaries, I'd be happy to talk to you anytime. In addition to working as a local Realtor and living in Center City, I also write a guidebook to Philadelphia for the Moon handbooks series, so it is my business to know all there is to know about Philadelphia neighborhoods. Feel free to call or email me anytime to pick my brain or ask about a specific area. And good luck with your move. Philadelphia is a wonderful city and you are going to love it here!
Karrie Gavin
Elfant Wissahickon REALTORS©
2000 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-260-1376
karrie@elfantwissahickon.com
Author of Moon Philadelphia
Hi there,

Welcome!

Real estate agents are not permitted to discuss crime due to the fair housing laws - the philadelphia pd has an excellent interractive crime map on thier website which will help you understand the different areas.

Also check out EveryBlock Philadelphia - its a local community interactive site.

I live in Queen Village, in the south eastern quadrant of center city - its got lots and lots of little ones. We are a popular neighborhood due to the highly sought after Meredith School, which is a public school from K - 8 with 400 students. We have a really thriving community which I think you should consider as well.

I raised two children here and would love to help you in your transition to Philly, its an amazing city and you are going to love it. Please email me privately - I have tons of links to send you + check out my name on google plus my "about" page has several of the links : school, center city district , farmers markets, neighborhood associations. Feel free to send me any questions. If you need housing help, financining help, any direction just send a question. Email me anytime.

Ana Barlow
Coldwell Banker Preferred
anabarlow@gmail.com 215.701.9117
Hi Melissa,

The art museum area is great and there are plenty of families living in the area. Crime maps in any city can be scary and misleading. Feel free to call me to discuss this more in depth. 267.626.7613. Ive lived in Center City for about ten years and have worked with lots of families. I can help you navigate the town and point you in the right direction

Reid
Hi Melissa,

I know several families that are very happy with the quality of life in the Art Museum area including families with children that have attended the same schools as my daughters. Safe is a relative term and different people have different standards for safe. You can go to sites like http://www.phillypolice.com and find crime reports. If you would like more information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Michael Garden
215 500 2981
mg@michaelgarden.com
No realtor can call an area safe. No area no where. You can got to philly police web site and review stats. As for families - its great for access to parks, whole foods and other great things.