Crime & Safety in Las Vegas>Question Details

Rebecca Fabr…, Home Owner in Henderson, KY

Are the any neighborhoods in particular that someone would definatley want to avoid in the Las Vegas area.?

Asked by Rebecca Fabrizio, Henderson, KY Fri Mar 21, 2008

Answers

5
Ben Nelson’s answer
How is telling someone about a neighborhood steering? Giving information and talking about facts is not steering. That's taking that law to a whole new level. It's your job as a realtor to let clients know these things if they ask. Are you all telling me that if someone asked you about a neighborhood, and you knew it was a high crime area, you would not tell them that it was? You would just let them buy the home, or find out for themselves? Steering is "the Illegal practice of restricting the houses that are shown to a purchaser because of race, religious, or ethnic reasons." Or here's another deffinition: "the illegal funneling of home buyers to a particular area based on the desire to keep the makeup of that neighborhood the same or intentionally change it."
Steering is NOT answering questions or telling a buyer facts about a certain area. It's not even telling buyers to stay away from an area because of it's high crime or bad schools. It is intentionally leading or keeping someone away from an area. If you doubt me in this, just look up "steering" in the real estate laws, or heck, even google it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 16, 2009
Realtors are not allowed to steer. It's such a fine line, and they can lose their licenses. I am not licensed in Nevada, but I did live there. Tell the realtor your situation (ie: I am a single mom with two kids), and I am looking for a neighborhood that is safe. I have $$$ to spend, "where would be the most desirable place to live." "Would you live there?" "Will you show me this house at night?" --Look at the convenience stores and the element. Would you feel safe running out at 10pm to the local convenience store?

Familiarize yourself with the topography of Las Vegas. It's huge! Another important thing to ask is, "how long the neighbors have lived there, how many houses are vacant in that neighborhood, is there alot of turnover in this neighborhood? Has there been any violence in this neighborhood in the last year?

Check out the neighborhoods at night by car. Check out the schools in the morning and see the parents drop off the kids. Go to the a coffee house on on a Sunday morning. Ask the people. They'll tell you!!
There is no shortage of people who can give you their opinions without fear. Get on a Las Vegas site, go to the library, ask around at a strip mall in the area you are looking for.

There is crime all over Las Vegas (just like anywhere else). I lived in a very prestigious guard gated community in Summerlin, and was burglarized. I had a false sense of security, and the thieves prayed on that. All of the communities listed by Ken are super safe, but crime can happen anywhere.
Hi again, Rebecca!

Hi again Rebecca,

REALTORS are not even supposed to hint that one neighborhood is better than another! It is against the REALTOR code of ethics, and we could lose our license for what is called "steering."

However we can supply you with places to seek information that may be pertinent to your search so that you can make a wise decision. Here are several sites that may help you:

http://www.lvmpd.com/crimeviewcommunity/
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place/cityprofile/zip_selecto…

I would also suggest that you talk with people who have lived around the area for a number of years. They can certainly tell you which areas they consider the most desirable.

Another great resource to check is the Clark County School District web site. Homes in school districts with high test scores are always popular. You should be able to contact them thru their web site to obtain this sort of information: http://ccsd.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 27, 2008
Hello Rebeca,

As Realtors we are not allowed to discuss neighborhoods you should avoid, per Federal Fair Housing laws. What I can do is point out some desirable neighborhoods such as Anthem, Southern Highlands, Summerlin, Seven Hills and Green Valley just to name a few. If you are concerned with crimes and statistics, please be sure to visit the Las Vegas Metropilitan Police Department web site as it may provide you with valuable information. If you need help finding anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Ken Herrera
Century 21 Infinity

http://www.lvmpd.com/
Web Reference: http://www.C21Infinity.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 21, 2008
Rebecca,
I am sure you will appeciate this answer.
As Real Estate Professional, we are obligated to disclose all pertinent information to our clients. With that said, we are going to help in your search for homes but will not be able to stear you in a particular area. We will however supply you with websites and other pertinent information where you can do your own search as to neighborhood information, schools, and other data that will assist you in what area you would like to live in. At that time we as Realtors will be able to assist you in more detailed information as to market trends, price ranges in neighborhoods, etc. I believe that answer is true for all of the United States.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 21, 2008