Crime & Safety in 33707>Question Details

Carrie, Home Buyer in Saint Petersburg, FL

Are Gulfport and South Pasadena safe places to live?

Asked by Carrie, Saint Petersburg, FL Wed Jul 30, 2008

My husband and I are relocating to the area and online South Pasenda and Gulfport seem like the perfect place to live. We don't know much about the area though. I would love some advice. Like most people we would like to be close to the beach and entertainment but on a teacher's salary.

Answers

8
As a resident of Gulfport I can say it is a unique town with lots of artsy types. I feel its safe and affordable. The beach is close by (you can walk or ride a bike easily) as is shopping, Ft De Soto park and more. I feel if you are willing to do a bit of work you can find an affordable home. South Pasadena is Gulfports next door neighbor and is equally affordable. If I can be of further help, just give me a call 727 864 1515.
Tim had the most direct answer to your question which I believe is not who wants to sell me a home but regarding the safety of living in South Psadena or Gulfport. The Pinellas County Sheriff's department provides law enforcement in South Pasadena and you should contact them regarding safety issues there. The non emergency number is 727-582-6200. Gulfport has its own police department. that number is 727-893-1030. Please request the personnel who keep crime statistics in those agencies, not the officer who answers the telephone. Both are close to the beaches but are very different one from the other. Gulfport is a charming small town but which is not so very different from parts of St. Peterburg which border it. It has a nice beach on Boca Ciega Bay, many good restaurants, art galleries and affordable housing for people of all ages. South Pasadena is one of the most densely populated areas and has its own town government. It has more condos than Gulfport and the twon has a larger percentage of senior citizens. With 24 separate municipalities in Pinellas County the cities tend to run together and someone from another state w ouldn't notice where one ends and another begins. But its an area I love and have called home since 1970. I would guess you could live just about anywhere in Pinellas County and not be more than 30 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. Don't be confused and think Tampa is on the Gulf. That's not so. Tampa Is inland, has no beaches (no baseball team either) and travel time to the warm sands along the Gulf is much longer. Best wishes!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 3, 2008
You should contact the individual cities for crime stats as the links you may receive from folks will probably not be for the areas you are describing given how small they are.

South Pasadena is probably a little safer area but is also an older population with a ton of condos and an ALF or two. But it is close to the beach!

Gulfport is a little more of a "mixed" area in terms of culture, lifestyle, home values, you name it. Not necessarily an unsafe place but one that has a little more opportunity for problems. Gulfport will definitely be a much more affordable area, assuming you are looking for a house and not a condo.

There are a bunch of affordable areas in St Petersburg and surrounding cities. You'll have to determine how far you want to commute to work to figure out what your outer radius is for a home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 30, 2008
Here are direct links that may assist you in comparing these 2 cities:

http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ca/south-pasadena.htm
http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ms/gulfport.htm
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 30, 2008
Hi my how are you, well my husband we looking place to live in Saint Petersburg , but , i dont now nothing about, i want calm and Save place, plase if you now about tell me . Thank you Claudia.
I would be happy to help you and your husband find your home. As you can guess, there are many choices in the areas of South Pasadena and Gulfport. If you would like to give me some of your criteria i.e. bedrooms baths etc we can set aside some time to view them. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!
The correct website's for the Gulfport, FL is http://www.idcide.com/citydata/fl/gulfport.htm
and for South Pasadena, FL is htt;://www.idcide.com/citydata/fl/south-pasadena.htm.

These sites give you lots of background statistics, but to get a good feel for the area, it is best to talk with an agent that lives or works the areas extensively. We relocated from out of state first to a part-time condo on Treasure Island and enjoyed the beach life while on extended vacations. We later moved to the Seminole area - but our last move to the Gulfport (nearby is South Pasadena) area was our paradise found. The small community is surrounded by St. Petersburg and maintains a small community beach (shh! don't let the tourists know!!!) on Boca Ciega Bay with a community rec center, and the Gulfport casino (no gambling, just the name) where Wed. eve. dancing takes place and is used for area functions. The main street has small shops, restaurants, a public library, senior center, community theatre.

Come for a visit, we'll be happy to give you a tour. Our real estate office is located on the main street of Gulfport. Call us and we'll meet you there. Gulfport - The Secret is out! once it was Florida's Best Kept Secret - decide for yourself....
a good place to live on a teachers salary is in a new up and coming community located in washington county. it very close to the beach (panama city) which is a tourist attraction which means you will never run out of things to do and keep you occupied. for more information please call this number and leave your name and number to set up and info conference...718 314 6693