If renting it probably is not a huge deal. If buying money will be lost when selling along with a huge amount of time to sell it.
As you know, though, enough people are concerned about it that it makes selling a home near a high power line much more difficult, and the sales price tends to be substantially lower than comparable homes nearby.
Hope that helps.
It's about ambient energy, and whether low amounts over a long period of time are more harmful or less harmful than short bursts such as hairdryers (his example). The truth is, they don't know! I don't recall the measure of units for the energy, but the number was under 10 on the property, and I believe in a hairdryer it's several thousand for short intervals of time it's being used.
Ambient energy is also higher in cities because everything is so close together. My client felt comfortable enough to buy the property and he's quite happy there. That's the best answer I can give to your question.
Prudential California Realty