Credit Score in Philadelphia>Question Details

Kiara, Other/Just Looking in 19144

is it usual for that i am a member of three different credit providers transunion, expedian and one that shows all three reports free credit score?

Asked by Kiara, 19144 Wed Dec 26, 2012

and they all have three different scores my transunion report is significantly higher on the actual transunion website by 40 plus points then on free credit score and the expedian website has it being 15-20 points different higher then on the website free credit score as well im confused to why?

Shane Milne’s answer
Hi Kiara,

There is no "official" website for consumers to get their credit scores at. You will find various websites like,, etc. that will sell you a credit score. But none of them are the "official" credit score that all creditors will use. The reason why? Is that because each type of creditor (credit card, car loan, mortgage loan) uses a distinct credit scoring system that gives more or less weight to the various items on your credit report. For example a car loan creditor will give more weight to your past car payment history than they will give to credit card payment history.

Mortgage lenders use FICO scores - as a consumer, other than from a mortgage loan officer, you can only get your FICO score from Equifax & TransUnion from as Experian no longer allows consumers to get their actual FICO score. If you are at a website where you can get all 3 scores (such as, you can be pretty certain that they are not FICO scores but a newer scoring system called Vantage credit scores. Vantage credit scores use a lot of the same information to calculate your score, but it gives different "weight" to different parts of your credit profile, so the credit scores are not the same as your FICO scores. I am not sure why Experian no longer allows consumers to get their FICO score from them, I could only speculate that because consumers are not their clients, creditors are, so that may have played into their decision to prevent consumers from getting it. Whatever the reason, at least you can still get your Equifax & TransUnion FICO scores from that website.

Since you are in Pennsylvania though, there is a way you can get your Experian FICO score. You can get it through PSECU's "FICO Score Service" which they describe at The catch is to become a member, either your employer, association or school needs to be connected, or someone in your family (relative) or living with you can become a member too - and you need to reside in Pennsylvania. None of those apply to me, however I have found if you pay $40 to for the "Associate Membership", that association is set up with PSECU, which you can check at Plus you help out the Pennsylvania Recreation & Parks Society, and everyone likes recreation & parks.

Hope you've found this information helpful.

Shane Milne | Lending in all 50 states | NMLS #81195
Hi Kiara,

Shane gives a good explanation below.

I know that you can go to to view your scores and dispute errors. Mortgage Bankers/Underwriters use a combined report that weighs different parts of your credit profile differently. All 3 credit bureau reports weigh differently as well. That is why you will have 3 different FICO scores. Usually the middle score is what decisions are based on.

Please feel free to call me directly with any other real estate related questions.

Have a great day. Looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Larry Lichtman, CNE
Realtor, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
CELL/Text: (267) 254-7994

Liberty Real Estate Associates
924 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Office: (215) 625-4725
Hello Kiara
The Credit reporting agencies are sellers of information.
They sell it to anyone that wants it. It is normal for the scores to be different and it is normal for the score you pull to be different from the one I pull.

If you are confused then you are with 99% of the public that is confused by credit reports, credit scoring and how it works.

Sometimes individual monitoring services use different scales. They usually have an explanation of the scale that they use. I would recommend comparing the scales they use to see how they differences line up.
There are three different credit bureaus Equifax, Transunion and Experian. It is possible to have three different credit scores. Lenders usually use the middle score for extending credit. If you are seeing a significant difference is your credit scores from the same credit bureau, please contact the specific bureau directly to get more information.
maybe im not saying it right what i mean is that i know there are three different bureaus i mean that my transuion score is differnt on two different sites and my experian is different as well i know there are three bureaus and that those ones are different ??
Flag Wed Dec 26, 2012
It's not unusual. There algorithms are different and produce different results.

Because of that, mortgage companies look at your middle score..