Looking!, Renter in Cal Heights/Bixby Kn...

Will a low credit score keep me from renting?

Asked by Looking!, Cal Heights/Bixby Knolls/Los Cerritos, Long Beach, CA Tue Feb 16, 2010

Answers

9
Hi Just Looking,
for a rental the landlord mainly wants to make sure you pay your rent on time and can afford the rent. In this market ; before you rent you should make sure the landlord can afford the mortgage and doesn't have a Notice of Default file on the home (Pre-foreclosure) I have come across a lot of tenants that unfortuntely had to move all of a sudden due to a foreclosure or shortsale. Just ask us (your friendly realtor) to pull up the address and see if the owner is current on the property. Just a thought.......

Lesley Harris, Realtor
(562) 673-0943
"your business and referrals are appreciated"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 10, 2010
Everyone has their own criteria. Be prepared to put up a large deposit and even to offer addtional months rent (worst case). Everything in life is negotiable. Be up front, honest and sincere and that will open doors for you. Have faith that you will find your place and your place will find you.
it all depends on what and who you are renting from... and why your credit is out of wack...
Web Reference: http://www.gotwga.com
I posted a blog about this topic and I also included a helpful video on how to rent a home with bad credit and foreclosure on your record.

Here's the link:
http://www.longbeachrealestateradar.com/long-beach-real-esta…
Hello Looking!

It's a renter's market in California. I am sure there has to be someone that will rent to you BUT that depends on how bad your credit is. Keep trying. Someone will hopefully rent to you but also do your best to support you credit situation (letter of explanation).

Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
mcarrabba@kw.com
(323) 899-2900
Hi Looking,
It can hurt.
You may end up trying online such as craigslist or something.
property managers usually look for qualified people.

Harold Sharpe
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211

http://www.socalhomesrealestate.com
It can. Often the apartment complex will require a higher deposit to make up for the low score. Sometimes it is best to start looking in Craigslist or the classifieds to rent from a person instead of a company if your options start to dwindle.
My experience has been different. Most of my clients who are landlords even when they rent the apts themselves they require the tenant to provide a current credit report or have it run through the apartment association. These reports may not show your FICO score but it will show how creditable you are. Some of my clients are more picky than others. Properties that are harder to rent or where they want a higher than usual rent are easier sometimes on credit issues. Keeping your credit up, paying your bills even though at times in this ecomony it is difficult still will access you to the nicest properties and best rental areas.

If you are looking for a rental, my office handles rental properties and you can run your situation over with them to see if it will be a problem renting. They handle all kinds of rental properties. My office # is 562-434-9911 and ask for Mary Rozier and see what she has to say.

Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

Barbara Robbins-Olexa
Broker
L B Brokerage
714-296-7270
A bad credit score can result from little or no credit, high usage of existing credit or negative entries on your credit report. A landlord will likely never see your credit score (i.e. FICO) but may request a copy of your credit report. If your poor score is the result of negative entries on your credit report -- lots of late payments, collection issues, etc. -- yeah, that might be a problem.

That said, plenty of private party landlords won't pull credit reports at all. It can be dicey for a private party to access another private party's credit and they couldn't do it themselves (probably have to hire a service to check out your credit on their behalf). They'll look into using past residence referrals and income verification as measures instead.