Credit Score in Tustin>Question Details

mynamesnotli…, Home Seller in Tustin, CA

Newly divorced mom w/two kids. Had to file bankruptcy & now short sell my home. We'll be homeless in a month but unable to find rental b/c poor credit

Asked by mynamesnotlisa, Tustin, CA Thu Oct 4, 2012

I receive enough support to cover rent but my "true" income is from part time work. (I've been a stay at home mom for the past nine years and have not been able to find job that pays enough to cover the costs of before and after school care). Because my FICA score is below 600 and my work income is so little no one has been willing to rent to me. I do not have a co-signer (unless a landlord would accept someone from out of state) nor do I have the funds to come up with a couple months rent in advance or pay for a co-sign service. The possibility that me and my young children may be completely homeless and/or living in a shelter terrifies me. Do I have any other options?

Help the community by answering this question:


I’m truly sorry to hear about your situation. I have dealt with many clients’ with similar challenges. Believe it or not, there are some landlords out there that are willing to help, when it makes sense. I have a network of apartment owners that have been willing to consider “less than perfect” renters. Keep in mind, they just want to make sure you can pay, that’s really all they care about. You’ll need to provide them with ample evidence that you can make your rent payment “on time”… Send me an email at: and I’ll tell you what steps you’ll need to take to hopefully get you squared away.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 21, 2013 search active listings also I do offer guaranteed cash aid If you have us short sale your home. Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 18, 2013
The support you're referring to is Child Support? + you have part time work right? If you have enough to pay a rent you're comfortable with to a landlord & be a good tenant, I think you need to write a Cover Letter about yourself to your future landlord, you are someone who would fall into the category of "case by case basis" or "exception to the rule".

You will probably need to drive around the areas you're interested in renting in & look for Privately posted For Rent signs vs. contacting a property manager who has a rental listing. The property manager is going to kick you to the curb faster because of the low FICO score BUT if you can just work directly with Mr. Landlord you're going to be better off.

I think you should start off your letter going back to the Fall of 2004 when you were able to buy your Tustin home & you were married 'working' as a homemaker, then discuss the decline, the divorce & your current situation, but that you're working, you CAN pay rent, you've been a homeowner, you'll treat their place like your own & take good care of it & you'll pay on time.

Homeowners just want to feel comfortable that you're not going to trash the place & you're going to pay on time. If your landlord wants to do some investigation, I STRONGLY suggest you have your current listing agent take OUT of your MLS listing that your home "needs work", this is currently listed in the "private remarks" section. If I can find this, your future landlord may be able to as well w/ the help of a Realtor friend.

Shoot me an email directly if you'd like to talk to me about this further, I don't look back on this same Trulia posting for answers after mine. P.S. you may want to take your Real name off Trulia.

Emily S. Knell
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
100% short sale success ratio
& I can Prove it
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 4, 2012
You may also look into renting a room from a homeowner. Our youth pastor, wife and newborn are renting a room from a terrific couple in Laguna Hills. The owners' child is off to college hence the vacancy. Of course, you need to vet any potential homeowner.

Also, check out Village of Hope with the OC Rescue Mission. It's by Red Hill and Edinger.

I'm sure thing will work out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 4, 2012

I guess since you said that you a short selling your house that you must be in escrow already and closing in a month that is why you are in a hurry to find something. If this is the case, then there is a non profit that my sister is involved with "Family Promise" that will help with housing for you and the kids. Shoot me an email and I will give you my sisters name and number so she can see what she can go.
Also, can the out of state person put in any funds for you to get in some where? Can you get additional support money from the ex?

Lori Hanson
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 4, 2012

I am very sorry to hear of your plight and I hope you and your kids will be ok. Go online and do a search for Section 8 housing for Orange County. One such place is Mercy Housing http://( which lists rentals in Anaheim currently. I believe you will have to go through a Section 8 approval process but it is designed for folks in your situation.

I sincerely hope for the best for the three of you, and I will let you know if I run across anything else that might help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer