Credit Score in Sacramento>Question Details

Tamashere, Renter in Sacramento, CA

My credit score is currently 580, what are my chances for getting pre-approved for a home loan?

Asked by Tamashere, Sacramento, CA Sat Mar 17, 2012

I've also since paid off one debt and will have another paid off in about 2 months.

Answers

25
I'd say pretty good if you use the right lender, have the down payment and you can show that financially you are in a good position. Talk to a broker first that actually knows credit, paying off debt may not be necessary depending on the accounts and how old they are. I recommend the lenders network, if any company can get you a loan they can. I have had clients with under a 580 score get approved... Brilliant real estate minds with a ton of lending contacts. Tell them I referred you!

http://www.thelendersnetwork.com

23 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 11, 2013
Thanks Jessica!
Flag Fri May 9, 2014
Based on this recommendation, I just got a pre-approval through them also! Well, they had a lender call me and he got me pre-approved, but still... YAY!
Flag Thu Dec 19, 2013
The Lenders Network got me approved! I didn't think I was ever going to get my credit scores up enough to get approved lol.. Thanks for the recommendation Jessica!
Flag Fri Oct 25, 2013
We see many credit reports with low credit scores (anything less than 620), and often many scores in the 500's. This is BAD credit. If you are one of the folks affected by this terrible economy, you have a low credit score and you have a dream of buying a home, here's some simple advice for you.

It is unlikely you could be approved for mortgage financing with that credit score at this time.

Beware of any mortgage professionals promising you an approval with such a low score. Wait on buying a home. I recommend you take the time to resolve your credit issues.

First, settle any outstanding debt. If you owe money on collection accounts, charge-offs and/or judgments, make payment arrangements and get these accounts paid promptly.

Next, begin rebuilding your credit. If you have current accounts with good payment histories, or even some previous late-payment-blemishes, make sure you continue to pay those accounts on time. If you do not have any existing credit accounts then you'll need to establish several in order to create a viable credit history.

I have found that CONSUMER ACTION is an excellent resource for objective advice on all things credit related. You'll find free and sincere advice on everything from settling collection accounts to rebuilding credit to building credit from scratch on their website. http://consumer-action.org/

Beware of anyone offering to "repair" your credit! The Federal Trade Commission issued a stern warning last year that such offers are scams. Find more from the FTC HERE. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre13.shtm

The best way to buy a home is to have a decent credit history combined with sufficient Income and Assets for a home purchase.

The best way to have a decent credit history is to settle negative outstanding obligations and pay all your bills on time for at least two years.

Trevor Curran
We can go down to 560 for FHA, but there's no question about it, it's a tough go. At 600+ your obstacles are greatly diminished and stand a better chance. Having said that, I have helped literally hundreds of perspective buyers looking to place themselves in a better position by doing a cleaning out of the closet. But take my heed, going about it without the guidance of a seasoned Loan Officer could cause you months of delays. So make sure you do your research or team up with someone who has been down road many times. For further information click on the click below. It has help a lot of people.

Best of Luck!

Can I Buy A Home With Bad Credit?
http://www.trulia.com/blog/george_raymondo/2011/11/can_i_buy…

No Score What Can I Do?
http://www.trulia.com/blog/george_raymondo/2012/03/no_credit…

Click on the link below for further information
I have had a few client's close with a 580 score with The Lenders Network too so I know it;s possible!
Who knows a good private lender, who will also finance difficult clients?
I can go down to 580 with an FHA loan and 3.5%, and under that with 10% down and 6 months piti reserves
Flag Tue May 14, 2013
I have a 586 credit score. And I want to buy a house. Is there a lender in the DC, MD, VA area that can get me a loan.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 9, 2015
I AM 57 YEARS OLD,CREDIT SCORE 580 LOOKING TO RENT CONDO 55 + COMMUNITY
LISTING AGENT IS ABOUT TO TALK TO OWNER,WILL SHE APPROVE ME.SCARED!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 22, 2013
It's much more difficult to get a home loan with a score below 620 but not impossible. Have you been late on anything in the past 12 mos? I suggest speaking to a experienced loan officer and going though your credit report with them. Many times there are simple things that can be done to bump your score up quickly. Give me a call if you would like me to assist.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 18, 2012
You are not quite there YET, but sounds like you are working on getting your credit straightened out. I would suggest you start talking with a mortgage broker/lender now so they can review your credit to see why your score is low and give you suggestions to improve your score, get a plan and timeline in place for you to purchase a home.

Keep in mind too that the lower your score the higher the interest rate you will be paying, so if you can improve your score it will help you in the long term.

If you need help finding a lender, just call or email one of us direct, we all have lists of lenders our clients have had success with to get you started.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 18, 2012
Tamashare,

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
Paying off debt and working towards your goal of home ownership.

There is a company here in Sacramento - Blue Water Credit - who can assist you
with restoring your credit. They are the only credit repair company in California that is rated by
the Better Business Bureau. Blue Water is trained specifically to partner with their clients
to get control of their credit scores. Many of my clients have gone through their program.
And....now they are buying their first homes too.

Please let me know if you would like Blue Water's contact information. I am happy to send to you.

Your loan options will increase when your credit score gets over a 620.....not as hard as it might seem.

Good luck to you!

Michele Peterson
(916) 743-5934
CallMichelePeterson@gmail.com
CA DRE 01872795
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 18, 2012
You have basically 3 things you can do.

1. Improve your credit score, and a mortgage broker can help you with that.
2. Get a bad credit mortgage
3. Not buy a home

Of those three things, you might think that a bad credit mortgage is the easiest, and it is, but it is also a costly option. However, for some borrowers, it's the best way to go.

Elizabeth Weintraub
Broker-Associate #00697006
#1 Short Sale Agent at Lyon Real Estate 2011
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 18, 2012
Great helpful answer.
Flag Thu Jan 16, 2014
I agree with Gina. Call a reputable lender, or call one of us for a referral. I have a couple of lenders who have done excellent work for low score individuals. It's not just your credit score that counts, it's your ability to pay back the loan, so salary, time at your job and amount of outstanding debt also in consideration.

If you speak to a lender, you may find out that your score is too low, but you should also find out what to do to bring your score up. A great lender will help with suggestions to get you there. It's better to find that out now, rather than wait six months, and still possibly have some debt on your credit report holding you back.

By all means, speak to a lender!!! Great time to buy, and who knows, you might just qualify.
Call or write if other questions, or you need a referral.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
http://www.sacramentorealtor.info
Flag Sat Mar 17, 2012
I would connect with a lender right away. A reputable lender will evaluate your situation and be able to tell you when and how you can qualify for a home loan. In the meantime, start looking at areas so that you know where you want to buy. When you do receive your pre-approval your Realtor can get to work showing you homes! Let me know if I can be of assistance with lender information or any other questions.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
Here are seventeen more answers to your question:
http://www.trulia.com/voices/Credit_Score/I_am_a_young_physi…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Hello Tamashete;

Please dont get discouraged by answers you have heard. New programs come and go. DO NOT pay a company to fix your credit, it won't work. Lenders can tell you what YOU need to do. It's not that tough. Some cities like Roseville and West Sac have assistance programs.

Motivate yourself by looking at homes. Find a realtor that you enjoy and makes this stage fun.

Email anytime jamie@golyon.com

Jamie
916-952-7449
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
Pretty slim. Paying of the the last two debt does not mean your credit score will miraculously go up especially if you have multiple recent late payments and/or credit collections or judgements in your report. I would speak with a loan officer and see what he or she can do to boast your score. Of course there will be lenders out there that will say that they can give you a loan but you better believe you will have the worst rate and worst terms offered score so I would try to get your score to at least the minimum acceptable score. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
With a 580 credit score, Id recommend speaking with a mortgage broker. You can still get a qualified but you'd have to put down at least 10% down, with 5% being your own funds and the rest can be a gift. Good luck. But you're talking about paying your debt off. If you plan on paying off your debt, do so and when you do pay them off be sure to ask them to send you a letter stating the current balance and them agreeing to take it out your credit report. If you do that, your credit scores will eventually go up.

If you can wait, I'd advise you to cause you can get a better rate when you meet the standard bank credit requirements....

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
You are on the right track. Not too many people are loaning with credit scores under 620 or 640. My recommendation would be to get with a lender and let them point you in the right direction. If it's your debt to income ration that is the issue, that will be different than if you have had credit challenges. He/She can point you in the right direction and it may not be as bad as you think.

Good luck...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
You can get an FHA loan but not with 3.5% downpayment. It will be either 5 or 10% down depending on your credit at the time of purchase.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
I am from Carrington mortgage. We will do your loan down to a 550 score. Also pay all your closing cost. Also pay for the appraisal, so I would say not bad. Direct lender and loan servicer
We do manual underwrites and don't base the approval off the computer and use common sense

Michael Diaz 380048
Michael.diaz@carringtonms.com
http://Www.carrinhtonhomeloand.com/lo/midiaz
0 votes Thank Flag Link Yesterday at 10:25pm
Have you tried The Lenders Network? They helped me find a lender that approved our loan and my score was just 590. I highly recommend them. Hope this helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Yesterday at 9:56pm
Credit History and Score Requirements
For those interested in applying for an FHA loan, applicants are now required to have a minimum FICO score of 580 to qualify for the low down payment advantage, which is currently at around 3.5 percent.

If your credit score is below 580, however, you aren't necessarily excluded from FHA loan eligibility. Applicants with lower credit scores will have to put down a 10 percent down payment if they want to qualify for a loan.

So if you're planning to buy a house, and your credit score doesn't meet the minimum, you should weigh the advantages and disadvantages of putting down a larger down payment or using those funds to try and improve your credit score first.
Benefits of an FHA Loan
0 votes Thank Flag Link Yesterday at 4:00pm
You should really go talk to Home Loans For All. They're highly rated and they'll be able to find you lenders that can get you approved. I'll include a link to them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Yesterday at 2:17pm
ICC Mortgage And financial Services, Is a sincere and certified private Loan company approved by the Government, we give out international and local loans to all countries in the world,Amount given out $2,500 to $100,000,000 Dollars, Euro and Pounds.

We offer loans with a dependable guarantee to all of our clients. Our loan interest rates are very low and affordable with a negotiable duration.

Available now

MORTGAGE, PERSONAL, TRAVEL, STUDENT, EXPANSION OF BUSINESS AND NEW UNSECURED, SECURE, CONSOLIDATE

AND MORE
Available now..

Apply for a loan today with your loan amount and duration, Its Easy and fast to get. 4% interest rates and monthly installment payments.

robertinc.linzer@gmail.com

Regards
Gary Cole
(646) 580-4839
My credit score is 580 can I get a home mortgage loan? I have no credit cards or anything showing on my credit except for past due accounts