Credit Score in New York>Question Details

gotpopp, Renter in New York, NY

I have a lot of old stuff on my credit report.Do I wait till it falls of after 7 years or do I try to pay it up?

Asked by gotpopp, New York, NY Tue Jan 22, 2013

Answers

8
Jim Olive’s answer
Did you buy the stuff? Is it legitimate debt? If "yes", then pay it. If your failure to pay on time has led to rediculous penalties, work out an arrangement to reduce those penalties and interest amounts and pay something closer to the original principle. Many collectors are willing to take less than the full amount. Better yet, go back to the original lender (who you originally made an agreement for credit with) and work something out with them. Nobody wants to lend money to a deadbeat that doesnt pay it back, so make sure you are not one of those and you'll have a good shot at getting somebody to lend you more...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
GET UP TO $ 65,000.00 IN GRANT

Why rent? Is there anyone giving money to rent? Any tax deduction? Rent KEEPS going up in Brooklyn? Own CHEAPER than renting - You are in a fixed income- You NEED a FIXED mortgage! While building EQUITY? Find out if you Qualify for up to $ 65,000.00 in grant money (You do not have to repay-subject to condition & terms) Would you hate to find out that you qualify AFTER closing on your house & it's too late? How would you feel paying more than everyone else? We have helped MANY..... family OWN when they thought that they can only RENT!!! START the New Year right & make a difference for your family! Leave a LEGACY to your family!! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT $ 65,000!

Free Homebuyer's Seminar
3:00 PM. Sunday 4/27/14.

Come find out:
How to qualify for up to $65,000.00 in grants (Do not have to pay back - Subject to certain restrictions)
Veterans (VA) or spouses- buy with ZERO down & find out how you can own CHEAPER than RENTING!!!!
Get Pre-approved & lock in your rate (Rates are going up)
Sonyma, FHA, FHA 203, Renovation Loan, VA loan & much more
Citilift, HomeFirst, NACA, Saving, Credit counseling & more!

SUNDAY APRIL 27TH, 2014
Location-
Brooklyn Real Property
389 Atlantic Avenue
Between Bond and Hoyt
To RSVP Call (718) 875-8899

Visit http://www.BrooklynRealProperty.com over 2000's listing!
Brought to you by "Brooklyn REAL Property,Inc."
WE care about our community & give back by EDUCATION!
Ah, but if you read more carefully you would know that I called nobody a deadbeat, I cautioned agains becoming one! Truth is, we have a LOT of them around and it hurts all of us. When people walk away from their debt just because they can (not talking about those who legitimately cannot pay), guess who gets stuck with the tab?? The rest of society. I wouldn't think that gotpopp wants to become a deadbeat.
Jim Olive shouldn't be so quick to call people deadbeats. Buyers and applicants could just as easily call realtors and loan officers "sleazy car salesmen". :)

The poster doesn't indicate whether the status of the credit is delinquent, whether the debt was validated, who owns the debt if not the original lender, the age of the original and latest reporting, whether a transfer of ownership of the debt was used to circumvent statutes of limitations, ... just to name a few things. Sometimes it is just not worth the hassle to pay if the debt doubled in sized from the original credit, the lender refuses to negotiate, and they've hired a "deadbeat" credit collector to hassle not only you but your family for money. I speak from experience on that. I also know people who had cars repossessed and credit cards collected on yet still got a mortgage. ... there's loan officers and realtors for ya.

You should simply read up on everything about credit reporting agencies and ignore scare tactics. Companies default on debt or just ignore obligations all the time and we, like good Americans, keep buying their widgets. You are not much different ... even legally speaking.
Gotpopp,
The question you want to ask yourself is, should I put my life on hold for the next seven years or should I do the right thing and work on paying of my debt? It's just so much less expensive when your credit is in order.

Janet Nation, CBR
Sailing Home Realty
Direct: 646-321-9649
Office: 516-377-4760
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
http://www.jnationproperties.com
It depends on what you have on your credit report. If there is one mistake on an account that entire history can be deleted. Just look into letter of deletion on google. This will help you out. Also look into a credit repair company. Get a lawyer also. Hope this helped.
I love this question. I also did like Jim's answer below. The word "deadbeat" spoke volumns. If you don't like that word said in your direction, perhaps you'll consider paying your debt. Good luck.
This question is not so simple to answer. However, there is a very good Credit Doctor, Tracy Becker, that just sent this "A 30 day late payment can drop your FICO score over 100 points and may take 7 years to recover from. Potential real estate purchasers and mortgage loan applicants should be well aware of these extreme effects since lower credit scores can cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions, over the life of a mortgage."