Credit Score in 60637>Question Details

Super, Renter in 60637

I have AWFUL credit, no criminal background and no evictions. How do I get an apartment in Chicago???

Asked by Super, 60637 Thu Oct 6, 2011

Pretty much what I said above. My credit score is really messed up (like 430) because I screwed it up with I was out of high school. I am in debt pretty bad but I have a really good full time job and I make more than enough for an apartment and I have never had any problem with my landlords in Minnesota. What do I do??

Answers

2
First and foremost you're going to need a co-signor. That I can guarantee you. Most private landlords would be forgiving in your situation provided you can prove current income and like Alan said, provide a larger than standard deposit that doesn't break the law. After that, as a landlord myself, I wouldn't have much of an issue. Make sure the rent is either debited monthly or at their office by the 1st of each month to relieve any latent fears that may have about your ability to pay. In due time you can restore your credit and move on. Be a good tenant, keep the place up and communicate (if need be) with your landlord. Bad news delivered is better than bad news discovered.

a reference from your Minnesota landlord might be helpful, but you may still have to give a hefty deposit, and perhaps pay several months upfront, in order to make any potential landlord feel comfortable with such a low credit score.

meanwhile, you want to try to protect your credit for future. as you're learning, it can be very important.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL