Ninajessieca…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Chasing the american dream of being a home owner and haven't a clue where to start.

Asked by Ninajessiecastillo, New York, NY Sat Aug 11, 2012

I was raised up by my grandmother who only spoke spanish so I didn't know much about credit scores or how it affected a person. So with that being said I found out by the age of 24 I'm now 29. what I do know is my score is a 640. I have 2 unpaid loans, one charge off and late payments on bills. what steps do I need to take to repair my credit?

Answers

10
Tni LeBlanc, JD, MA, Broker’s answer
Hi Nina,

I think the first thing you should do is get in contact with a good lender. They should be able to give you a referral to a reputable credit repair service.

They can also pull your credit reports. You can also pull your credit reports for free once a year at http://www.annualcreditreport.com

Starting with a knowledgeable team you should be able to learn the right first steps considering your credit situation.

Tni LeBlanc
Broker
Mint Properties
(805) 878-9879
tni@mintprop.com
Why rent? Is there anyone giving money to rent? Any tax deduction? Rent KEEPS going up in Brooklyn? Own CHEAPER than renting - You are in a fixed income- You NEED a FIXED mortgage! While building EQUITY? Find out if you Qualify for up to $ 65,000.00 in grant money (You do not have to repay-subject to condition & terms) Would you hate to find out that you qualify AFTER closing on your house & it's too late? How would you feel paying more than everyone else? We have helped MANY..... family OWN when they thought that they can only RENT!!! START the New Year right & make a difference for your family! Leave a LEGACY to your family!! Free Homebuyer's Seminar
3:00 pm. THIS Sunday 1/19/14
Come find out:
How to qualify for up to $65,000.00 in grants (Do not have to pay back - Subject to certain restrictions)
Get Pre-approved & lock in your rate (Rates are going up)
Sonyma, FHA, FHA 203, Renovation Loan, VA loan & much more
Citilift, HomeFirst, NACA ,Saving , Credit counseling & more!
THIS SUNDAY Jan. 19 th,2014
Location-
Brooklyn Real Property
389 Atlantic Avenue
Between Bond and Hoyt
To RSVP Call (718) 875-8899

Visit http://www.BrooklynRealProperty.com over 2000's listing!
Brought to you by "Brooklyn REAL Property,Inc."
WE care about our community & give back by EDUCATION
You should get in contact with a credit professional to get advice on managing your credit and repairing your credit also.
Nina,

The first thing I would recommend you do is sign up for something like http://www.creditkarma.com which will give you an idea of what your score is, notify you of changes to your report, and has tons of great guides to help you boost your credit score. They also have a mobile app so you can check up when and where you want. It's super easy to use and I've had a lot of clients be very successful with it.

You should also visit annualcreditreport.com and pull your actual credit report and working from there. That will allow you to do a free pull of your report from all three agencies once a year and is an invaluable tool.

I think you are already aware of some of the things you need to address, but paying off your bills has an impact on your debt to income ratio as well, which is really important when qualifying for a loan. Having credit is good, but having open monthly payments on those cards isn't. So keep the cards open but pay them off if you can.
Nina:

First thing you want to do is obtain a copy of your credit reports. Begin to challenge all of the negative information. I am going to assume because your score isn't that low, that you have open and revolving credit cards. Be sure to continue to make on time payments from this point on. Also you want to keep your balances at or less than 30% of your credit line. If you need further help, we offer credit help.

Best of Luck;

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit Repair Specialist at
Everlasting Credit Repair
Ex-Mortgage Banker of more than 10 years.
http://www.everlastingcredit.com
I don't know why it says new york I'm in corpus christi texas but am looking to buy a house in ann arbor michigan.
Buenos Dias Ninajessicastillo,

Under current lending standards here in the New York Area, 640 minimum credit score is acceptable for mortgage financing. I'd recommend leaving any derogatory credit alone until you have been thoroughly Prequalified by a Local Mortgage Banker. If you take action on a negative credit item---such as settling the chargeoff---without first consulting a Mortgage Banker you may do more harm than good.

First steps:

1. Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

2. Get a referral to a good, local, real estate attorney. Call the attorney, retain the attorney so you have her information handy when you make an offer. Having that information at time of offer helps you demonstrate to the Seller how serious you are, and they will consider your offer with more interest.

3. Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

4. Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Trevor Curran
Office: 516-829-2900
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
185 Great Neck Rd, Suite 240
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528
Hi Nina,

The quickest and easiest way to be on your way to home ownership is to talk with a lender. They can tell you the steps you need to take to fix your credit, and sometimes the steps they tell you are different than what you might think, or not as much as you might think. A lender can provide you with a road map so that you know exactly what to do, rather than blindly trying to figure it out on your own.

I work with a great guy who works for United Lending. Give me a call or email me and I will connect you with him. Then if you are looking for homes in the Austin area, I can help you find your new home when you are ready.

Sara Scott
512-578-8525
sara@homesbysara.net
Web Reference: http://www.homesbysara.net/
Hi, Nina,

A 640 credit score might not be high enough, it used to be, but not today. If you also have unpad loans and latepayments, you will have a difficult time getting a loan. I suggest you wait another year, bring up your credit score by getting up to date with your payments and hopefully pay up at least one of your loans. Student loans are OK. It is great to be a home owner, but one has to make sure that one can afford it and one doesn't go into foreclosure if not able to pay the bills. There are companies that can help you with credit repair and that's where you need to start. Good luck!
Are you looking for a home in Austin. If so, it is easy where to start....contact me.. I will hook you up with a choice of great lenders, show and analyze homes that meet your criteria, and help facilitate your dream with the appropriate negotiations, inspections, etc.

With rates so low, home ownership can make more sense then renting in a lot of Austin.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588