Credit Score in Shreveport>Question Details

curlysue36, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Can someone please tell me how I can get my score to go up??

Asked by curlysue36, New York, NY Wed Feb 20, 2013

I have been working for over 2 years to get it to change. When I first started this whole process my score was a 575. I paid off old debt, I had old stuff removed, I had inquiries removed. I applied for new credit, got it. I have a car loan and a student loan, and 2 credit cards. Just re-fied my car loan yesterday for a lower rate and lower payments. When she pulled my credit yesterday it was like a 595. There is no way after everything I have done over the last 2 years that it's only gone up 20 points!! I can pull it from the 3 bureaus and it tells me my scores are way higher and then I look at it from somewhere else and they are way lower. What is the deal? I will never get a mortgage if I can't get it above 625!! How can all of these different places have all of these different numbers? How is it that they aren't all the same (I mean given a couple of points here and there)? Is there someone the reporting agencies have to report to? I want to go to them! This is ridiculous.

Answers

13
Linda S. Cefalu’s answer
Find a trusted mortgage company that specializes with first-time home buyers. They can help point out what you are doing wrong, if anything. Sometimes people do things like close credit accounts or completely pay off a credit card and sometimes that actually hurts you. What the banks want to see is a steady employment and a steady bill pay. Are you paying all of your bills on time? Are your credit card balances high? Are you on a deferment of your student loans? Do you pay your utilities on time?

There are many unanswered questions even though you have given us a lot of detail and thank you for that. I'm sure there will be other lenders that will see your question and perhaps can give you a more specific answer.

Don't give up.
It takes time and there is no quick way to fix a credit score. In fact, out of all of the ways to improve a credit score, quick-fix efforts are the most likely to backfire, so beware of any advice that claims to improve your credit score fast. The best advice for rebuilding credit is to manage it responsibly over time.
First, make sure that there are no late payments incorrectly listed for any of your accounts and that the amounts owed for each of your open accounts is correct. If you find errors on any of your reports, dispute them with the credit bureau and reporting agency.
Secondly, Making your credit payments on time is one of the biggest contributing factors to your credit score. Some banks offer payment reminders through their online banking portals that can send you an email or text message reminding you when a payment is due. But make sure you pay more than the minimum payment, that will help a lot.
Lastly, This is easier said than done, but reducing the amount that you owe is going to be a far more satisfying achievement than improving your credit score. The first thing you need to do is stop using your credit cards.
P.S. If you have been managing credit for a short time, don't open a lot of new accounts too rapidly.

GOOD LUCK!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
Where are you looking to buy a home? I ask because we are licensed to originate loans in AL, AR, GA, IN, LA, MS, OK, SC, TN & TX.

The good news is that we are able to finance FHA loans with credit scores as low as 580 and only 3.5% down! Feel free to apply online at http://www.rhlapps.com/kjones or give me a call. You may not need to worry about getting your credit score any higher. :)

The websites that give you credit scores are usually inaccurate. Have you had a lender pull your credit report?

K.C. Jones
RH Lending
214-432-0486
kjones@rhlending.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
I have purchased land in East Texas, an acre from my parents and will owner-finance another two. I am going to put a mobile home on it. I am not married and have 2 children and my mother is recently retired and has taken on caring full time for her 92 y/o mother and her 7 y/o grandson, so, I am moving closer to her to help her out. I don't want too many people to pull my credit, too many inquries, too many hits, lowers my score and I just can't afford to do that.
Flag Thu Feb 28, 2013
It sounds like you are doing the right things. Do not pay someone get your score up. You do need to go to a local lender, look them in the eye, and have a frank discussion with them. The good ones will work with you.

If you would like specifics, go to http://www.Zip711.com and click the Trulia menu tab.

I interview prospective buyers and sellers on a regular basis. I would be glad to speak with you once you have spoken with a lender and have a letter of prequalification. If you would like a list of local lenders to consider, please contact me at Zip711.com.

Carolyn Grimsley, CRS, ABR
Certified Residential Specialist, Accredited Buyer’s Representative
Licensed by Louisiana Real Estate Commission
Realty Executives SB
In Bossier, 4012 Benton Rd suite 110
In Shreveport, 8575 Fern Avenue Suite 105
Each company independently owned and operated

http://www.Zip711.com
Web Reference: http://www.zip711.com
Call Rolanda Knight at Fairway Independent Mortgage here in Shreveport. She is a certified Homepath Specialist, and has helped many of our clients get their numbers up within 90 days.
Hire this company. They are experienced and not very expensive: http://creditrescuenow.com/
Here are some excellent tips on how to fix your credit:

http://www.realtypin.com/news/story/738-cant-qualify-for-a-m…
Web Reference: http://www.realtypin.com
Good evening curlysue36,

We see many credit reports with low credit scores (anything less than 620), and often many scores in the 500's. This is BAD credit. If you are one of the folks affected by this terrible economy, you have a low credit score and you have a dream of buying a home, here's some simple advice for you.

It is unlikely you could be approved for mortgage financing with that credit score at this time.

Beware of any mortgage professionals promising you an approval with such a low score. Wait on buying a home. I recommend you take the time to resolve your credit issues.

First, settle any outstanding debt. If you owe money on collection accounts, charge-offs and/or judgments, make payment arrangements and get these accounts paid promptly.

Next, begin rebuilding your credit. If you have current accounts with good payment histories, or even some previous late-payment-blemishes, make sure you continue to pay those accounts on time. If you do not have any existing credit accounts then you'll need to establish several in order to create a viable credit history.

I have found that CONSUMER ACTION is an excellent resource for objective advice on all things credit related. You'll find free and sincere advice on everything from settling collection accounts to rebuilding credit to building credit from scratch on their website.
http://www.consumer-action.org/

Beware of anyone offering to "repair" your credit! The Federal Trade Commission issued a stern warning last year that such offers are scams. Find more from the FTC HERE. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0058-credit-repair-how-…

The best way to buy a home is to have a decent credit history combined with sufficient Income and Assets for a home purchase.

The best way to have a decent credit history is to settle negative outstanding obligations and pay all your bills on time for at least two years.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
1010 Northern Blvd. Suite 234
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
Hello, What are the balances you are carrying on your credit cards? Be sure your balance is less than 30%. Installments don't make up more than 10% of your credit score. Car loan, Student loans are installments. You need to focus on the revolving credit, (the credit cards). Be sure they are being reported to all three credit bureaus. Be sure they are reporting as revolving. And bring the balances down. This may be what is hurting your score. If you would like to go over what other options you have, my company offers score improvement services.

Have a great day.

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit Repair Specialist
Everlasting Credit Repair
I have work with many first time home buyers to help them increase their credit score. I am a new home sales person for longtide homes in the Shreveport/Blanchard area. Please let me know if you would like my help and to take a look at our homes.
Dianne Hubbard
817-915-8973
Make sure your credit utilization is 30% or lower on your credit cards, so if you have a 1k credit limit stay 300 or under on your usage. This makes up 30% of your credit score also think about getting a few secured credit cards or loans.
Hi Curlysue36,

Very frustrating, I know. I would strongly suggest that you do a little research to find a local lender that specializes in credit repair and/or first time home buyers. They will be able to pull your credit scores ad go over the details of each of them. Then they will be able to assist in telling you how to improve your credit - what you are doing right and what if anything you are doing wrong.

Also, know that sometimes the corrections and payoffs at the credit reporting agencies are very far behind and may not reflect what you have done to improve those scores. You will be able to see this on the print out from your lender.

Don't settle for a loan with a low credit score if you don't have to as you will pay higher interest and most likely PMI.

Hope this was helpful.
Take care,
I have always been told that it is best to keep your credit card balances below half of the credit limit. Example: If you have a Dillard's card that has a $2000 limit, keep the balance below $1000 and NEVER pay it late. Also, if you pay off a credit card, don't close out that account. It's always a good idea to inquire and/or dispute any bad records on your credit report. My husband and I have our credit report emailed to us once per month. That way we can keep a close eye on it.