Agent2Agent in 07701>Question Details

Ninadawn99, Other/Just Looking in 07074

can i transfer my NJ real estate license to texas?

Asked by Ninadawn99, 07074 Fri Oct 29, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Ruth Anne Kelley’s answer
I am currently on my way to Texas and have a PA RE License. I spoke with a agent in Texas and was advised to start from scratch. He said it would not only be quicker in the long run but save me from a huge headache.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 24, 2013
Typically no. They may wave a few class requirements. I would call the Texas Real Estate Department. Best of luck on your transition!

- David Rudd
Kindred Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Hi Nina -

I know your question was asked in 2010, and people are answering it like it was asked 5 minutes ago....

what did you end up doing with your license? Were you able to take the test without the classes?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Not as far as I know. I would recommend contacting the real estate commission in Texas to get accurate information. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Nina, aren't you going to miss our New Jersey taxes? lol
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 25, 2013
I have a NJ license now, what do I need to get a California real estate?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013

Do yourself a favor and call around to a few Texas agents, they will have the quickest 411. To get a RE license in Texas one needs the equavilaent of an associate's degree . . . not the two week course used here in NJ. Again, I've researched this extensively, lived and was educated in RE in Texas and have freinds in the process of acquiring licenses out there. Reciprocity is hard to come by.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker, ePro, SRES
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 12, 2010
Clipped formt he Texas site:

Becoming Licensed in Texas
To become licensed in the state of Texas, an out of state licensee must meet all current Texas licensing requirements, which can be found through the side menu to the left. "An applicant may not have to take the national portion of the licensing examination if the applicant maintains a license equivalent to the license being applied for and has already passed a comparable national examination that is accredited by a
nationally recognized real estate regulator association such as ARELLO."…

So, the above would need some looking into, as it reads to me that there are two parts of the test..
Salesperson State Portion (45 minutes)
TX Salesperson - National (105 minutes)

and it reads you may have to take the state portion and not the national portion if you curently hold an equivilent license in your state.. again, contact the state and speak with someone.

I think it is pretty doable!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010
As John said you need to check with the Texas Real Estate Commission regarding what you need to do as someone licensed in New Jersey to get a Texas license. They may give you credit for some or all of your New Jersey education hours, however their education requirement is more rigorous than ours.

Good Luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010
Hi Nina,

I don't know about the word "transfer" but there is probably a procedure to get it done. You need to contact the Real Estate commission in Texas.

I am licensed in different states myself and it there is usually a process involved, not too big a deal. Most state RE commissions are good about it.

For instance, when I went o NY for my license, The NY licensing procedure for salesperson the requirement is 35 hours of classes. In NJ we take 70 hours of school classes, so given the amount of class hours, NY let me take the exam (which I passed) then I needed to get a statement from my RE school that stated I completed and passed the 70 course, the NJ Real Estate commission had to verify that my license was in good standing and the NJAR also verified my license was in good standing. I sent all of those papers with the NY State form to the NY RE commission and was issued a license.

So, it can be done!

Like anything else your due diligence is key!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010

Did the research on this myself. Absolutely no reciproity at all. However, they do have online "speed" courses that enable you to get a license rather quick.

Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 29, 2010
Hi Nin,

No. State laws are very individualized with respect to real estate. There is little reciprocity. You will likely have to start from scratch down in Texas.

Good luck!


Marc Paolella
Relocation Director/Appraiser
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
201 Route 10 East
Succasunna, NJ 07876
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Coolest map-based home search:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 29, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer