Agent2Agent in San Diego>Question Details

Cindy Davis, Real Estate Pro in San Diego, CA

Who Would You Call to Determine Property Line?

Asked by Cindy Davis, San Diego, CA Fri May 10, 2013

Hi all! My buyer just closed on a house in Del Cerro. He wants to move the backyard fence back to where is property line ends. Title is not willing to walk the line with him since the deal closed already. Who would you call? What offices are type of vendor might do this? Really appreciate your help on this one!

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Cindy,

You can contact a Land Surveyor....but you can also look at the sidewalk, you may see what looks like a metal slug the size of a quarter. This is the property line between you and your neighbor. You can also send me an email and I would be happy to send you a Title report which give you lot size in feet.

FYI: A Land Survey will run from $1,000-$2,500 on average.

Let me know if you need more information or the name of 2-3 Land Surveyors.

Gerry Carrillo
NHORA San Diego President
Big Block Realty
CA DRE LIC# 01423016
3954 Murphy Canyon Rd #D202
San Diego, CA 92123
(619) 368-1992 [cell]
(619) 502-7545 [fax]
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 10, 2013
I also suggest you ask the Help of a Land Surveyor .. they can help you to determine Property line..
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 9, 2015
A land survery will give him the answers he seeks. A surveryor will be able to determine the property lines.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 9, 2015
Surveyors generally can figure out property lines fairly quickly. You want to make sure that you know exactly where your property line is. That's especially true if you are moving your fence line. Those kinds of disputes can be easily avoided if you have a professional calculate the line for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 9, 2015
Contact Bruce McFarland at Alta Vista Engineering in Vista. He's a civil engineer with about 40 years of experience throughout San Diego County.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 29, 2013
Nice chatting with you. Chicago Title customer service is 619.521.3478 and the site I mentioned is
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 10, 2013
A surveyor is the person who can determine property lines. Title only has the plat map anyway, so it's best to hire a surveyor to get the precise property lines in this case.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 10, 2013
There are a couple of types of surveys, with different costs. One is certified and cost a lot more. In this type of survey, they will come out to the property and place markers at the property boundaries. If you want to be absolutely sure where the boundary is to say erect a wall right on the boundary line, you would opt for the certified survey.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 10, 2013
In Illinois, you receive a survey at the closing. I don't know if that was a part of your paperwork in San Diego.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 10, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Find a civil engineering company in the area. They will plot out the lines based off of the parcel map and/or markers that are already in place in the ground. Local companies should have a greater familiarity with the area, and may already have experience with the specific property.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 10, 2013
You will need to get a profession land Surveyor for this job.
Good luck, Bill
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 10, 2013
Look for a private surveyor. I did a google search for surveyor + my city and came up with all the local companies. The municipality where the home is located can sometimes be a help--try calling the city planning office.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 10, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer