Agent2Agent in Burnsville>Question Details

 Andy, Real Estate Pro in Naples, FL

I would like to appeal my property tax to Yancey County. Can anyone recommend a firm or someone that has had success doing this in Yancey County?

Asked by Andy, Naples, FL Tue Aug 27, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


If you feel comfortable appealing on your own, there is a form on the Yancey County Tax Assessor's web site that you can use to appeal your taxes for 2014. Of course, they are going to ask you to give them some information to support your belief that the assessed value that they have applied to your property is higher than it should be. However, it's not as difficult to get this information as some might believe and there are a couple of sources that you can use. One would be find comparable sold properties on a site such as this one. Another option would be to have a broker in your area do a comparative market analysis on your property for a small fee. This would give you a wider source of sold properties and is similar to an appraisal, though not as in depth. Of course, the best support would be a complete appraisal of your property, but most people are not willing to pay $450 +/- for an appraisal just to have their taxes reduced...

I own property in another state and wanted to appeal the assessed value on that property. I was successful in getting the assessed value reduced based on the market analysis that I was able to get from a local broker and was very happy with the results.

I hope that this helps and wish you the best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 28, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer