Agent2Agent in Massachusetts>Question Details

Hugo, Both Buyer and Seller in Massachusetts

I am an attorney who just got my broker's license for the purpose of selling my home and buying a new one. How do I get access to MLS?

Asked by Hugo, Massachusetts Mon Dec 19, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Hugo,

You need to contact MLS and subscribe.

Or you could do an entry only listing with a Realtor that is already subscribed.

Where is your home? New listings are exciting!

2 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
YOu can work out a mls fee with another broker or a referral agreement with another agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 21, 2011
In MA, lawyers, aka attorneys, can get a real estate license when they pass the bar. But if you just passed the bar, you might want a seasoned and experienced professional to sell your property.

You will spend more time getting up to speed on forms, required/suggested procedures, dangers, etc., and then showing, advertising, following up on clients, when these are already in place for a good pro. If you think you can bill yourself out for the same $/hour as your own broker, check your math.

Plus, they'll probably refer you their clients for closings and other legal work over the long run as a return, which could help you build your legal business over the long run.

"Penny wise, pound foolish."
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 21, 2011
There are hefty fees associated with joining an MLS. As an individual just trying to sell their own home, I highly doubt you want to go to all that expense and effort. I'm sure you're an excellent attorney, but does that mean that the new broker's license you got qualifies you to be the best person around to market your home and get you the highest price in the least amount of time? Perhaps you might want to list it with a stellar agent in your area who knows how to get the job done.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
Contact the local Board of Realty and join the MLS; just a suggestion--if your law practice is flourishing, it may be in your best interest to hire a professional to sell your home, and help locating a new home; be aware the process may turn out to be time consuming.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011

if its only for your own house, use a $500 broker to get your home on the mls, plenty of those none professionals out there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
Hi, You will have to join the MLS through your local Board of Realtors...Basically pay the fees involved and get started!

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
Hi Hugo,

Since you are a Broker, you don't need to hang your license with a Broker. You will need to contact your local Board of Realtors and join to gain access to the MLS for your Brokerage. If you just want to get your house on the MLS (and don't want to join your local Board), you could list with another Realtor.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
Think it is pretty much covered here. Local exam, State exam, find a Broker to sponsor you, pay local MLS their fees, list your home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
Hugo you will need to join your local Board of Realtors and can join the MLS. Good luck with your sale and new home.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
You must hang your Lic with a Brokers Office. What town are you in?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer