Question Details

disneydianna1, Other/Just Looking in Gilbert, AZ

How would i get access to use a supra key or the iphone version if I am a real estate photographer?

Asked by disneydianna1, Gilbert, AZ Tue Jun 10, 2014

I would only need access if i need to enter the house for photography purposes. I have lost out on several jobs because I dont have a supra key. The agent says if they need to be there to let me in the house, then they will just take the photos themselves....I am not a licensed realtor.

Help the community by answering this question:


Interesting, because where I am, we'd never think of letting the photographer in without being present.

First of all, unless you're a Realtor or appraiser, you couldn't sign up for a Supra key (here, anyway).

But even if you could, why won't agents accompany you to photograph their listings?
I love to be there (to me, it's part of my job), and will offer my suggestions for shots and do a bit of fluffing pillow or straightening up if necessary.

Isn't it s courtesy to the homeowner?

I also don't "get" anyone saying if they have to let you in, they will take their own do they explain that thought process to the seller?

OK, so that's my take on probably doesn't help you much, but maybe an AZ agent will come along who can offer a suggestion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 10, 2014
I love how you pointed out that the failure here was in the actual broken thinking of the agents involved. There is a serious disconnect with agents on the issue of photography. The pictures are where ALL of the marketing begins. Whether postcards, flyers, MLS inclusion, or T/Z/R.

Refusing to have professional photography done means either you don't believe that good pictures will have any bearing on the successful sale of the home (which might be correct) or you don't believe (or don't CARE) that it might actually result in a higher sales price. If either of these is true, then the thinking is broken.
Flag Wed Jun 11, 2014
I have been self employed most of my life in several businesses, and I can tell you right now, the realtors are trying to give you a message! If you want to be treated as a professional, then you'd better start acting like a professional! If you want to be taken seriously as a photographer, you need to do your homework and find out what your competitors are offering, otherwise you need to offer your services at a discount to allow for the agents coming and spending their time with you. Also, you need to aggressively market your talents and show the agents the benefits of having your professional work, and want it can do for their income. Developing personal business relationships is probably the most necessary ingredient to a successful business!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2014
First I would use caution. If you are not a licensed real estate agent then you might be considered trespassing .

If an agent hires you to photograph their listing then they should provided you access the same way that home inspectors gain access by being present at the property.

It reflects poorly on the agent if they hire you then not want to give you access. That is completely crazy...

But, should you want to pay all the fees to have a Supra then you should contact the local board of Realtors as they are the ones who issue the Supra. Also, note the I phone version only works on Bluetooth Supra boxes. I know in my area Supra boxes are often not Bluetooth and I find many agents unable to gain access even though the pay for the service. I suggest get the Supra e-key. Makes life easy...

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2014
The agent should WANT to be there, so they can make sure the shoots that are taken are the ones they want to MARKET and SELL the property. Even though you are a professional photographer, its ultimately the agent that is responsible for proper marketing!
It sounds like you have been working with a lot of lazy agents, and that is unfortunate for all parties involved.
Yes, you can contact the local Realtor board to see if they will issue a Supra Key, but be prepared to pay several hundred dollars for it.....

Good luck!
Nicole Fedorchek, Realtor
Tarbell, Realtors
DRE 01920370
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2014
Join the local MLS as an associate--but before you do make sure they will allow you to take a supra key.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2014
Look for agents that take more pride in their marketing efforts. Professional pictures sell houses. The pictures bring the showings and if you don't get showings, you don't get offers. I understand your frustration but I think it is more their issue than yours, I know very few agents that can take good quality pictures.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2014
You're going to have to join the local MLS as an associate and pay your fees just like anyone else. Your in business, this is the cost of doing business. I can't speak for the MLS you'd be dealing with but I would expect there are discounted rates for people like yourself, appraisers etc.

I will make one comment the agents who tell you that if they have to meet you there they may as well take the pictures themselves should be ashamed of themselves. Apparently their lazy and clearly not interested in doing whats in the best interest of the clients. I use professional photographers exclusively and have for years. I show up at every photo shoot as I want to make sure the shots are perfect. Most home owners don't do a good job of getting their house ready to be shot, 99 times out of 100 I need to clear counters, move things around to get he shot framed, open or close window blinds, etc. While I'd love it if the photographer knew exactly what I wanted and was willing to move things around and then put them back after the pictures were taken; I accept that none of them are mind readers, and none of them want to accept the liability of moving my clients things around. It sounds to me as if unfortunately your working with some poor quality Realtors.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2014
Talk to the local Board or MLS that handles Supra in your area to find out if there are options available for photographers. Agents and Appraisers can get them, but I've never heard of photographers getting them, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. The only reliable answer will come from the local office that handles them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer