As to that ads that show on the right side of the page, here is a tip to increase your click-through rate. It takes a little work though:
1) Create a Video Tour of one of your listings - this takes the most time. Make sure it's a REAL video tour too...not some canned one from some virtual tour company either. Create something high quality with your own iPhone or Android talking about what you love about the house. You can do this by yourself with you out of the frame but if you can get someone in your family to take clips of you talking about the various rooms, that's better because it gets you in front of the viewer to breed familiarity.
Create a page on your website or blog and embed the video. You should have some type of email opt-in box or some way for them to respond on this page.
2) Create a free account at http://StupeFlix.com/
3) Using the "Blueprint" theme, upload a bunch of INTERIOR photos of the listing you just made the video of.
4) Produce and Play - Produce the video with StupeFlix and when it's done cooking hit the play button.
5) Screencap - the video using a tool like Snagit. Hold down the SHIFT button when you go to snap the image and it will lock it so that whatever you select comes out as a square. Pause the video where you think the BEST interior shot produced by Stupeflix shows up. Edit the picture with Snagit so that it is 300x250
Here is an example of what the initial picture should look like: https://imageshack.com/i/2hcqw9j
6) Edit the Image - you want to apply a video play button overlay to the image. This is really easy to do. Just google, "how to add a video play button to an image" and you'll get tons of tutorials.
Here is an example of what the ad picture should look like when done: https://imageshack.com/i/manxwsj
7) Contact Your Ad Rep - get them the image and tell them you want it to be linked to the page on your site where you embeded the video and it can be played.
Here's what happens:
Truila visitor starts looking at homes in their area. They see the INTERIOR photo with a little play button on the right instead of just some branding ad of your face. They click on the ad trying to get the video to play. They are taken to your site and can play the video of YOUR listing. It wasn't of the home that they were looking at on Trulia, but if YOU are in the video it gives you a quick chance to communicate your message. If you're good, you can get them to op-in to your email list so you can communicate with them in the future.
Repeating, these ads are in the readers blind zone. Banner ads certainly can break through but require above average design, appeal and message. It ALL works...just not for everyone.
Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
Big Water: http://youtu.be/S7xjAs52MiI
To be more specific I was talking about the cell phone banner ads.
The ones on the computer based website do work! Well... they worked when I was using them, since then the platform has changed and I cannot speak to it's effectiveness as I have not used it.