Question Details

Kristian C., Real Estate Pro in Long Beach, CA

Do I have to sell real estate to get my brokers license?

Asked by Kristian C., Long Beach, CA Thu Aug 1, 2013

Hi I am recent California real estate licensee, and I am only concerned with fullfilling the two year requirement needed to obtain my brokers license. I would prefer to accomplish this by working for a property management company. Is this possible?

Help the community by answering this question:


I agree with Kevin, the best source of information is the BRE. Ergo, see the link below.
However, you should also discuss this with your broker - you cannot just claim that you've been licensed for 2 years and therefore you qualify to take the broker exam. Your experience must be documented by your employing broker using BRE Form RE 266 or RE267. RE 267 is used to substitute "equivalent" experience, such as working in title, escrow or mortgage. Some contractor experience can also help to qualify.
Most brokers require that you have full time SALES experience before they'll sign a RE 266 for you, though that form also has space where leasing experience can be entered. That confuses things a little, so the best thing to do is work with your broker to define just what they need to help you qualify to take the broker exam.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 1, 2013
I clicked on the link that you provided and also printed the forms. I'm still not 100% clear however, so I will be contacting the BRE in the morning. Thank you very much John for your time and knowledge!
Flag Sun Aug 4, 2013
Contact the BRE to confirm - working in property management should be okay, but still worth the call to BRE
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 1, 2013
I will be calling them first thing in the morning. Thank you for your time!
Flag Sun Aug 4, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer