Agent2Agent in New York>Question Details

Adam Pops, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

Can a lawyer sponsor you (as a broker)?

Asked by Adam Pops, New York, NY Wed Mar 6, 2013

Can a family member who is a lawyer sponsor you (as a broker)?

Help the community by answering this question:


If the lawyer can't answer your question, are you sure you want to be sponsered by him/her....
3 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
Hi: I'm Michael Levy, the Principal Broker of Grand Lux Realty. We're located in Armonk in Westchester County & work throughout the lower Hudson Valley & Fairfield, CT. We're looking for more agents. We offer truly unique styles, including:

1. Up to 90% commission splits with no fees.
2. Unique, customizable listing programs designed to help you increase your listing load.
3. Recruiting bonuses, if you know anybody else who will join us, I'll pay you up to $2,000 each for your agent recruits.
4. A friendly, non-corporate, family-style.
5. Tons of leads, great training, motivating, coaching, etc.

You can see more on our website: or call me at 914-273-9688.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
only if a lawyer received an individual broker's license from the state on his name or is licensed as a corporate/associate broker in a brokerage company.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
Only if they have their own real estate firm. Best to interview with real estate firm(s), get training and knowledge of the market.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
If your lawyer is also a Licensed Real Estate Broker you can work under his supervision as a Licensed Real Estate Salesperson. Attorneys in NYS do not have to take the licensing course or test. They just need to apply for the license and will be automatically approved. However, if you are not an attorney, you will need to take the course and pass the test to get your license.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
Ask your lawyer, if they cannot answer this questions, you may not want to work with them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
I would check the laws in the state where you reside, but typically if the lawyer is not collecting a fee as a broker they can assist you. If they are a broker they can also assist you. However it is the lawyer who should advise you as to what restrictions they may have in this regard.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
Yes they can but it depends on what you are looking for in a broker. If you are a new agent, in my opinion it is much wiser to choose a broker that can be a mentor and a trainer who is actively working sided by side with you to help you grow your business!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 10, 2013
Hi, Yes if that attorney has a brokers license.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
In most jurisdictions a lawyer must also be licensed as a broker. Check your local rules. Most lawyers are exempt from taking classes and can simply take the exam based upon the training they already received in property law and real estate law classes in law school or from practicing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
Hi Adam! The attorney needs to have a brokers license if He or She plans on sponsoring an Agent.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson , LSA
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
Yes...but...No...but...Yes... Basic background first. Lawyers often are instrumental in writing new legislation like our real estate laws. They often "carve out" exemptions for themselves. With respect to real estate, many jurisdictions give attorneys a real estate license "pass." By that I mean they are not required to take basic courses that all broker/agent candidate are required to take, although they may be required to sit for an examination. Is that ok? Well, that's a matter of policy. Many lawyers have a basic background in real estate because most law schools require that topic as a basic element for graduation. Beyond that, there are other exemptions that may or may not be appropriate. for example, in my state, Illinois, a lawyer representing a client in the sale of a property need not have a real estate license. I can represent the estate of a dead property owner and can offer that property for sale to the publics. No license is needed. Similarly, if I own the property being marketed, then no license is required... I can offer for sale my own property. As you can see, the area is complicated. You need to explore exactly why your relative claims to be "exempt." Good luck... and get a broker license anyway just for your future.

Rusty A. Payton, Broker
iMove Chicago
1225 W Morse
Chicago, Illinois 60626

773-856-6200 [Office]
773-856-6201 [Fax]
773-682-5210 [Mobile]


0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
A lawyer will need to obtain a license if he sponsors agents
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
No, you have to be sponsored by a brokerage not a lawyer that can "practice" real estate without the need to acquire a real estate license. As mentioned below you would be a sales person not a broker as a new licensee.

Janet Nation, CBR
Sailing Home Realty
Direct: 646-321-9649
Office: 516-377-4760
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
To work as an agent, you'll need to have a valid license "hung" with a broker. if your family member who is a lawyer has a brokerage license then it will work.

Nice has a good point - best to align yourself with a brokerage where you can learn the trade - a structured training program that includes good mentoring is where I recommend you begin.

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer