1. I guess the question is, is this common for Alabama? I'm floored at the absolutely lack of ethics from the builder, and honestly every other party involved. I guess I expected more from the South?
2. We just went with the realtor on site, because we honestly didn't know any better, and we used her loan people too. They've been the slowest, most unresponsive people to deal with. We'd get correspondence literally days after we'd ask for something, but we would respond to all requests in hours, if not immediately. Do we have recourse to report them?
3. We did retain a real estate lawyer this morning. But is the builder posturing? Are they trying to bully us? Or are they legit?
4. What is with the arbitrary number of 10k? We don't have it, so even if I thought this builder was ethical (which I don't) we still can't pay it. And we sure as heck will not borrow it. We spent 10 years building and repairing our credit. I find it odd that they wanted nearly 10k for closing, and now that we aren't they want a random 10k...
5. Let's say that we take this to court, because I will pay a lawyer until my dying breath on the pure principle of the matter before I give that rat builder a single penny, what happens? If our contract is written to be contingent on financing, but then not? It seems like the builder wrote the contract to basically coerce us into buying regardless if we got financing or not? What would a Judge even say about that? And what kind of builder and furthermore, LENDER would want you to build a house before you have financing, and then try to force you into it if you cannot/did not get the financing?
6. What other kinds of recourse might we have? Reporting to the BBB, social media reviews and a blog post, potentially a call to local media/news/tv, am I missing anything else? Are there any other outlets in which to report their unethical behavior?
7. We told them we were completely ok with walking away from all money down, we just want our appliances back, and to be left alone. And this is how they responded. By saying we never showed up for a closing that we never had any knowledge of? Nor did we even have financing, so how could we close?
Sorry - a million questions. I'm just REALLY trying to grasp the situation. My heart is truly broken over this situation. We are good people. We thought they were also good people.... more