As a retired realtor, it's very easy to sell your home by yourself. Here's my rules to follow:
1. Hire an appraiser who has full access to your local MLS. The appraiser will tell you what price range to list your home at. Appraisers coat a few hundred dollars but you save on the commission fee and appraisers are the ones hired by lenders to verify if the contract price is accurate.
2. Declutter & remove all family mementos. Make your home spacious, super clean & inviting.
3. Hire a home inspector. Repair anything that will affect the sale.
4. Market your home online I.e. Zillow, fizber.com, fsbo.com, etc.
5. Have a friend or buddy to assist you with Open House days. Never host an Open House alone.
6. If you're a weak negotiator, have a friend or relative assist you with negotiating. As long as you're not paying them a fee, they can help you legally.
7. Hire a real estate attorney to prepare any contracts.