Sharon, Home Owner in San Francisco, CA

Pros and cons of living in San Francisco

Posted by Sharon, San Francisco, CA Thu May 31, 2012

Interesting in getting other's opinions on the pros/cons of living in San Francisco.

Pros:

Incredible restaurants
Diversity of people
Beautiful city views
Different and interesting neighborhoods

Cons:

Too damn expensive
Below average nightlife
Hipsters, tech people, status seekers
Horrible parking situation, traffic, street cleaning!
Public transport
Bad weather
Loads of bums

Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Comments

All the pros outweigh the cons!
0 votes Flag Thu May 31, 2012
Sharon,

Interesting post. You're a home owner in San Francisco so something must have motivated you at some point to make that move. Do you remember what it was? How you felt when you bought your property here?

I'm originally from NY and my point of view is a little different. Great restaurants, yes. Diversity of people, not so much. City views, awesome! Different and interesting neighborhoods, small scale but yes.

Expensive, yes. Pricing are high because people from around the globe would love to live here but most cannot.

Nightlife, not great but I find a lot of people don't party here as much because they want to live a healthier lifestyle.

Hipsters, tech people, status seekers...isn't this the diversity of people you mentioned? lol Hipsters, no comment. Tech people drive our economy so deal with it. Status seekers are everywhere money is (this is a global thing).

Parking isn't that bad here. Perhaps you've never lived in places like NYC. Traffic, easy if you study traffic patterns. This took me about 6 months to get down.

Don't know about street cleaning because I have parking and wouldn't live anywhere in SF without it, period.

Public transport is terrible, agreed. Light years behind any other major city and the bus drivers (not all) are kinda mean and shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place.

Bad weather? You got me on this one.

Homeless (the term bum is very different) are a direct result of our city being too relaxed on issues. This is one of many on a very long list.

Would I want to live anywhere else in the States? No. This place is paradise minus warm/real summers! I hope you find your way back to feeling positive about this amazing place.
1 vote Flag Thu May 31, 2012
Bad nightlife? Wow, you have pretty high standards for nightlife, LOL. I think the nightlife here in the city is one of the best in the country, and definitely one of the top 10 in the world. Also, I agree with Astrid regarding the weather and how the pricing of the city is already baked into the desirability of living here -- it wouldn't be so expensive if people didn't love to live here.

Btw, you missed several other "pros": great entrepreneurial environment, awesome views, diverse population, etc.

Mark Thomas
ReasLo
http://reaslo.com/
1 vote Flag Thu May 31, 2012
Bad weather? Ever been to NY in the summer, or the winter for that matter? Ditto for Chicago. And it is expensive, but that reflects the fact that most people prefer to live in SF than, for example, Walnut Creek, or Novato. Nothing wrong with either of those two cities, but they sure are different from SF and the lower prices reflect that.
Astrid Lacitis
Keynote Properties
415 860 0765
0 votes Flag Thu May 31, 2012
Search Advice
Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer