Austin Homeowner Repair Assistance
Has your Austin home seen better days? Is your roof in need of repair? Are health problems preventing you from being able to make necessary repairs to your home? With the Austin Homeowner Repair Assistance program, you may find just the right solution to fit your needs.
The Austin Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) has developed several programs for various Austin homeowner problems. These programs cover repairs from the foundation to the roof and everything in between. You don't have to fret about how you're going to get much needed repairs done anymore.
- Architectural Barrier Removal - This is a free service for eligible senior and physically disabled Austin homeowners who are on fixed or limited incomes. Applicants must be at least 62 years old or have a severe disability as defined by Federal government regulations. Those who qualify for the ABR program can schedule to have a wheelchair ramp installed, have their doorways widened to accommodate wheelchairs, shower, toilet and sink modifications and buzzing or flashing devices for visual and hearing impaired Austin homeowners. For more information and to set up a visit to your home, please call (512) 974-3100. You can download an Architectural Barrier Removal application here.
- Emergency Home Repair - The AHFC has partnered up with the Austin Area Urban League for this program. EHR is meant specifically for low income Austin homeowners who are currently facing a life-threatening illness or whose conditions at home present a hazard to their health and/or safety. Each applicant will work with a staff member to create a plan of action and decide on a scope of work. For more information, please call (512) 478-7176.
- Holly Good Neighbor Program - If you live near the Holly Power Plant and are in need of repairs to your home, the Holly Good Neighbor Program is for you. This is strictly limited to those Austin homes located between Riverview on the south, Chicon on the west, Willow on the north and Pleasant Valley Rd on the east. You can download an application for the Holly Good Neighbor Program here.
- Home Rehabilitation Loans - A cracked foundation, a leaky roof and plumbing or electrical repairs can be expensive. With the Home Rehabilitation Loan program, Austin homeowners may qualify for interest rates as low as 0%. The simple qualifying process does not involve a credit check. However, there are income restrictions. To find out more, please call (512) 974-3100. You can download an application for the Austin Home Rehabilitation Loan Program here.
- LeadSmart Program - Before 1978, contractors typically used lead-based paint in Austin homes. If your home was built prior to 1978 and you have a child under the age of six living with you or who visits your home at least six hours a week, you may qualify for free lead paint removal and repairs to your home. There are income limits. For more information, please call (512) 974-3100. You can download an application for the LeadSmart Program here.
As you can see, the AHFC wants to help as many Austin homeowners as possible with their needed home repairs. While most of the programs are for low income residents, some programs are available for moderate income Austinites as well. Don't despair if your home is in need of repair. There is Austin homeowner repair assistance available to those who qualify.
Featured Austin Area Home for Sale
For more information on this and other Austin homes for sale, please visit my Featured Austin Listings page.
Shay Hargus, your Austin real estate specialist
Originally posted on my Austin real estate blog here: http://allaboutaustintexas.com/austin-homeowner-repair-assistance/.