Springtime is here and in the real estate world that means open house season is in full effect
. Once upon a time, homebuyers had to go visit a real estate brokerage and flip through an oversized book of listings to see which homes were on the market. Fast forward to 2012. Now, homebuyers and renters
have a full tech toolkit to make their search more fun, efficient and sophisticated than ever before. Smartphones and gorgeous apps are even making house hunting an on-the-go activity!Â
Here are the top 5 tech must-haves for this yearâ€™s real estate open house season.
Trulia Mobile apps w/ GPS capabilities:
- Mobile apps allow you to find open houses near you and easily add them to your calendar
- Use GPS to cruise around the neighborhood and check out nearby open houses
- Move the interactive map to explore new neighborhoodsÂ
- Quickly see whatâ€™s new - Marker colors help show you what properties you havenâ€™t seen yet
- Remember what you liked (or didnâ€™t) about the place - Take notes, photos and video, and also share them easily with roommates and family instantly on your smartphone or tablet
Social networks and Yelp:
- Use Facebook to gather feedback from friends during your home search
- Find a listing you like online? From the property detail page, click the Facebook icon and share it with your digital friends. Add a comment and ask them for their input on the house or the â€˜hood â€“ this is especially handy if youâ€™re relocating and others in your social network have insider info to share.
- Trulia offers Yelp amenities in and around the neighborhoods youâ€™re interested in to see what grocery stores, banks, schools, etc are nearby
Online message boards and blogs
- Trulia Voices offers a community of agents and local residents who are there to answer your questions related to your real estate search
- You can find an expert or agent this way or get the inside scoop from folks who know the area!
Technology has made finding your next great place to live so much easier than it was in the past. Some might argue that it is downright fun! I personally love to drive through a neighborhood, whip out my iPhone and get the details and see the pictures of a home with a for-sale sign on the front lawn. As you go through your home purchase or rental search, make sure you take advantage of the great tech tools available to you. All this innovation has made now the best time to be a home shopper!Â
I'd love to know how technology has helped you in your home search. Leave your thoughts in the comments or drop me a note in the box to the right!
-MichaelFor more great tips: check out Michael's 3 Bestselling Books:Â
Before You Buy!Â Â Find It, Fix It Flip It!Â andÂ Ready, Set, Sold!