Winter is definitely not the ideal time during the year to sell your home. However, in todayâ€™s market, there are a lot of circumstances that might require you to sell your home during the winter. There are a few steps you can take to make your home more appealing during the wintertime and help you sell your home faster.
- Keep the sidewalks and the driveway clear of snow and ice.Â You may have to shovel the snow a few times each day. Place salt or sand on the walkways to keep potential buyers from slipping. Also, place a mat on the porch to allow buyers to stomp off the excess snow. This also shows pride in your home.
- Keep the heat on.Â Make sure your home is warm and comfortable. Turn up the thermostat one or two degrees warmer than normal. If you have a gas fireplace, turn it on. If you have a wood-burning fireplace and you can be around during the tour, light it, but donâ€™t leave it unattended very long.
- Let the light in.Â Open all the blinds and drapes. Turn on every light in the house.
- Think of a showing as hosting a holiday party.Â Set the table with festive china and centerpieces. Make a plate of cookies for your guests and offer hot chocolate or apple cider or even just water.
- Consider the pictures you post.Â When you post pictures on your property listings, try to post outside pictures that were taken in the spring or summer. If you know youâ€™ll be selling your home in the winter, take pictures when there is not snow on the ground. That way, potential buyers can see what your yard looks like.