** SUMMARY: Saint Mary's College ("SMC") might have a Moraga zipcode but it's an integral part of the Lafayette Lifestyle. Here are 10 things you can do there, including links.**
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â **********************************
Saint Maryâ€™s College of Califonia (â€œSMCâ€) might officially have the
Moraga zip code, but that doesnâ€™t stop those of us who live in Lafayette
from claiming SMC as our end destination for family fun and lifelong
That starts with those who go to school at Saint Maryâ€™s, including
our recent high school grads and those going back to school for both
undergraduate and graduate degrees. SMC is a local employer, too. Youâ€™ll
find Lafayette residents who teach there and are on the administrative
staff. And, of course, some locals enjoy worshiping in the schoolâ€™s
beautiful chapel, where regular Catholic and special services are held.
Thereâ€™s so much more, though.
Here are 10 others things local families enjoy doing at Saint Maryâ€™s College. What did we miss?
- Cheer: Go Gaels! SMC has 14 Division 1 teams and 14
club ones. We attend SMC sports events with friends, as a family, or
with youth sports teams. Going alone? Expect to at least wave. Youâ€™ll
likely see friends and neighbors there, too. This includes basketball,
baseball, lacrosse, soccer, and (nationally ranked!) rugby. For those
who live in Lafayetteâ€™s nearby Burton Valley, you can put the dishes in
the sink at 6:30, jump into the car, drive to SMC, park the car and get
to your seat at McKeon Gym in time for the 7pm tip off of some of the
best basketball around. Make sure you already have a ticket, though.
Many of us have season tickets and the team plays to sold out crowds.
Click here for upcoming SMC Gaels sport events.
- Learn from Experts: Free and low cost lectures at SMC are ongoing, but the January Term lecture series options are typically particularly compelling â€“ and usually free to attend.
- Watch and Listen: Â Dance, music, and theatre. Open
to the public and school field trips, too.Â This includes the January
Term Childrenâ€™s Show, always a winner for family entertainment. For an up-to-date SMC performing arts event listing, click here.
- Appreciate Art: Exhibits in the Saint Maryâ€™s Museum of Art,
sculpture and other public art,Â architectural elements throughout
campus, and stained glass windows of the chapel. Photo-ops are
- Meet for Coffee: The â€œhiddenâ€ local coffee shop is SMCâ€™s CafÃ© Louis.Â
There are indoor tables and virtually unlimited outdoor seating. You
can access free Wi-Fi across much of the campus and that includes the
cafe. Look for SMC Guest in the network list. No password is required
but prepare to enter your name and email. Warning: Coffee shop hours vary depending on school calendar.
- Study: The Saint Albert Hall
library cubicles are open to all, and so are the books in the stacks if
you need on-site traditional research options. Ask the front desk about
current rules about the public checking them out.
- Go to Camp: Sports, computer, and more. Â Day and Sleepover.
- Gather: Community and private events are held at the Soda Center, the gym, the chapel and more.
- Compete: This includes pick-up games in Madigan Gym
and high school tournaments, including NCS basketball in McKeon when
local teams are playing.
- Explore: Whether you arrive by bike, car, or just
walk off the Lafayette-Moraga Trail, itâ€™s fun to wander through campus.
Favorite destinations: The cross at the top of the hill, Oak Grove, and
the hidden statue at the end of the wooded path. Have you found the
remnants of the original gym?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dana Green has been Lafayette's top-producing Realtor since 2008, and the top producer in Contra Costa County since 2010. Did you find this article useful? Find more archived on Dana's "At Home in Lafayette Blog"Â atÂ www.DanaGreenTeam.com/blog
Â Â Never miss a new listing, pocket listing or coming soon:Â Join our â€œSneak Peekâ€ Mailing List