My sellers often ask me whether they should put their home on the market now, during the winter months, or wait until the Spring market. Certainly, most homes look better when the flowers are blooming, birds are singing and the grass is green. But there are advantages to putting your home on the market NOW, while the temperatures are low and the skies are often grey.
- You have less competition now than in the Spring market.
- Your home can show very cozily with a fireplace alight with logs and candles, and the warmth of the indoors contrasts to harsher outdoors temperatures.
- The lessÂ bright light of a winterâ€™s day softens some flaws of the interior;
- Immature landscaping or a less-than-flat backyard is not as important when covered with snow;
- Buyers out there in the market under severe weather conditions are much more serious and anxious to buy;
- If you want to sell your home, donâ€™t keep it a secret! Market it to sell!
- Sloping driveways need to be snow and ice-free;
- Heating needs to be uniform.. no cold rooms or drafty places!;
- Windows with the â€œsteamyâ€ look of broken seals must be replaced;
- House smells need to be fresh and not reminiscent of last nightâ€™s dinner;
- Interior lightingÂ needs to be even and bright enough that reading and other activities are done easily;
- Expect fewer showings.