Home > Blogs > Florida > Miami-dade County > Miami > PLEASE BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS ON TRULIA

Alexis Mesa's Blog

By Alexis Mesa | Agent in Miami, FL

PLEASE BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS ON TRULIA

I RECEVIED AN EMAIL LIKE THIS YESTERDAY AND LEFT ME SHOCKED

I am Mr. Jirou Hayashi Japanese origin I need a 4 bed room single family home to buy, in a nice environment, water front is ok it as to be a traditional sale and its going to be a cash buy, with a garage and 2 bath with or without swimming pool price should be up to $500,000 please send me some listing/MLS to choose from for further information please contact my Account manager Mr. Abraham Jacob Tel: 1-613-699-099

THEN I REPLIED:

HI  JIROU, THANKS YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST. I'D BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP YOU IN WHATEVER SERVICES YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IN REALESTATE. I'M COMMITED TO PROVIDING YOU WITH THE GREATEST SERVICE YOU CAN GET AND WILL PROTECT YOUR BEST INTEREST. PLEASE CONTACT ME AT YOUR EARLIEST CONVINIENCE

THEN THE SCAMMER REPLIED:

I will like to offer $500,000 MLS# d1382897 because I love the curb appeal of this property, please send me the contract for me to sign and return immediately this will be my retirement home and it will be a cash buy

1. I will want to close on 15th October, 2010

2. I want to put down $5,000.00 Earnest money

3. $30,000.00 will be applied towards the closing balance and $120,000.00 will be used

By buyer to buy furniture’s in this property

4. I want to put contingency on inspection on the contract.

Please note all 4 listed above shall be on the contract.

My legal name is Jirou Hayashi of 2000 Sheppard Avenue, Toronto Ontario Canada M3N 2J1 and I am single, I will not be in Canada before the closing date to wire the funds to the attorney so I will advice you to send me an attorney information for a check to be drawn to give enough time for check clearance since I wont be in Canada to wire funds for closing.

Please forward me a purchase contract agreement in docusign format, docusign format is an electronic way of signing document. If you don’t have that you can send a pdf

My account manager Mr. Abraham Jacob will Issue payment in US Funds $155,000.00USD for 5,000.00, the will be for earnest money, second deposit of $30,000.00 and $120,000.00 to be applied toward the pay off of buyer’s mortgage in Japan.

My rep Mr. Abraham Jacob Esq. can be reach at:1-613-699-0994, I strongly advice that I need an attorney to represent my interest in this transaction, my lawyer can pay to seller or title company so therefore I would like to deposit all payment with the lawyer.

Please I need the following information for your attorney immediately for payment

Law Firm Name...................................................
Law Firm Address.......................................................
Law Firm Telephone......................................................

Lawyer's Name...........................................................

Regards

Jirou Hayashi

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE DO NOT BECOME A VICTIM OF THIS SCAM AND I HOPE IT HELPS OUT MY FELLOW REALTORS IN THE FIELD FROM GETTING THEIR TIME WASTED AND IDENTITY EXPOSED TO THESE SCAMMERS.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL REALTORS

Comments

By Samantha DeBianchi,  Thu Sep 16 2010, 04:24
The same thing happened to me with the same post...I even requested that he send me a proof of funds and he sent me a bank account statement showing $3mil+.
By Scott P. Elwell - REALTOR®,  Thu Sep 16 2010, 05:09
Craigslist is full of this. I hate to use the saying but "when it seems too good to be true....."
By Emily Erekuff,  Thu Sep 16 2010, 11:22
Thank you for posting this Alexis. We encourage everyone who receives any similar emails to forward them to us. The best way we can nip this in the bud is to block the initial messages these users send through our platform.

We’ve also written the following PSA to help agents avoid phishing scams and urge everyone to share it with their broker/agent sphere.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
By Voices Member,  Thu Sep 16 2010, 11:28
Thank you for posting this! An agent in my office received the same thing!
By Flavia Brown,  Thu Sep 16 2010, 11:34
Why did it leave you shocked? This happens every day!
By Valerie Littrell,  Thu Sep 16 2010, 13:09
I got the same thing. Contacted me thru Realtor.com. Looking between $450, to $550,000 3 or 4 bedroom. It was a differnt name but in Japan. Financial advisor is in Canada. I also received a bank statement showing 2.3 million dollars. This one was not as detailed but did give me a name address and phone. He wanted a lawyer to represent him. He picked a home ,wanted it contingent on inspections, and told me to write it up. I did not like the home he picked and have not heard from him since.
By Rainelle Mishoe,  Tue Sep 28 2010, 11:40
I also got one from a gentleman in Japan. My first clue was he told me he had two children, ages 5 and 7, then told me he was single. It was the attorney who deciphered for sure it was a scam when the check the gentleman sent ( instead of wiring the money) , written on a law firm's account, was signed by someone who is not a partner in the firm. Contact came through Trulia. Realtors beware!!
By Kevin Olson & Jessica Laude,  Tue Sep 28 2010, 11:44
Our association made a post to all Realtors regarding things exactly like this. These people are getting more and more gutsy when trying to pull these scams.
By Sally Kirchoff,  Thu Oct 7 2010, 15:30
I just got hit by him today. I thought it sounded bogus, so I googled his name. Thanks for the heads up!
By Vincent Villafranca, REALTOR,  Thu Oct 7 2010, 23:38
I got something very similiar last week..I disregarded it.
By J R,  Fri Oct 8 2010, 04:43
Am I the only one here who didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday? Is it because I'm from NY? I can't believe anyone would be shocked, or consider these things real.
By SANDY MARTIN,  Fri Oct 8 2010, 13:08
I got this email today, Google the name and hot here. Thanks for the post
By Brian Halstead,  Fri Oct 8 2010, 21:02
This is becoming a real annoyance but with little precaution and unity in the real estate community we can stop these scammers from wasting our time. Please see my blog related to the above topic.

By Wayne Beals,  Sat Oct 9 2010, 06:52
Same here....

Didn't get this far, but obviously a scammer.
By Nancy Huffman,  Sat Oct 9 2010, 14:27
Same here. Googled the name and came to this. Thanks for the warning!
By Arlene Garcia Hanner,  Mon Oct 11 2010, 12:28
Thanks Alex. I just received similar email this morning! I thought it was real at first because I do get emails starting out like that and end up being for real. What a surprise when I googled this name. You saved me time wasted on a scammer, thanks again.
By Vanessa Muse- Top Producer,  Wed Oct 13 2010, 05:02
Thanks for the warning. Just got contacted by this gentleman. Thank goodness for your notice. Thank you thank you!
By Esther M. Camarotte,  Thu Oct 14 2010, 05:39
Got it today! I Googled him and found this - Thanks for the heads up!
By Virginia,  Thu Oct 14 2010, 06:25
I got this email. I googled the name and sure enough... It's a scam just like I suspected. I'm not sure what the scammer gains from doing this but he's got to get better at his game. Maybe he needs to be reported.

I am Mr. JIROU HAYASHI Japanese origin I need a 4 bed room single family home to buy, in a nice area in any city or town in your state and it as to be a traditional sale and its going to be a cash buy, with a garage and 2 bath with or without swimming pool price should be $500,000 please send me some listing/MLS to choose from for further information please contact my Account manager Mr. Abraham Jacob Tel: 1-647-862-1135

Thanks.

Mr Jirou Hayashi
By Diana Beam,  Thu Oct 14 2010, 09:36
I received the same email from him yesterday. He's so dumb that for the MLS number he gave me our zip code so I don't even know which house he was offering to purchase!
By Patrizia Giassa,  Thu Oct 14 2010, 10:31
Yes, I got this too and googled. What's the point?
By Seda Hambarchian,  Thu Oct 14 2010, 12:00
so what is he tryingto do exactly?
By Richard L Gregory,  Fri Oct 15 2010, 09:18
I just got the exact email from him yesterday.. Thank you for posting this!
By Craig Fialkowski, Local Expert,  Fri Oct 15 2010, 09:22
Has anyone actually received a check?
By Evelyne Hunt,  Fri Oct 15 2010, 15:03
I got the same email from Jirou Hayashi...
By Angelica Blatt,  Fri Oct 15 2010, 15:53
I just received one today not with all the info as stated above but the same name. I GOOGLED it and found these posts.
By Richard Recuset,  Sat Oct 16 2010, 10:44
I just got the same crappy email.I checked online and found this post. It saved me time and money. Thanks Alexis!
By Lyle Wolf,  Sat Oct 16 2010, 13:21
I got this one also. He said he was looking to buy a home somewhere in New Jersey. No real buyer would say that.
By Judi Rutland,  Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:11
Alexis...did this go any further than Jiou giving you the requirements of the offer? Curious as I was just emailed and the email I rec'd is nearly identical except for the property itself. Pls let me know what actions you took, if any, after his offer request.
By J R,  Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:30
I can't believe so much serious discussion is being devoted to an obviously fraudulent email that a 5th grader could identify as spam.
By PATRICK SCHOTT,  Mon Oct 18 2010, 09:06
Thanks. Didn't find this post until I forwarded the email to my broker. I was very suspicious from the beginning but in this day and age you never know. The prospect of making a quick sale is very enticing. So proceed with caution...
By Jeanne Feenick (908) 337-0943,  Mon Oct 18 2010, 09:24
Thanks for the heads up, as Emily reminds us, the best thing is to post an alert as you have as a warning to others and a heads up to Trulia.
By TERRY MCCARLEY,  Tue Oct 19 2010, 06:30
I received the email from Hiyashi Jirou also - it sounded too good to be true so I googled his name and found this - thanks for the warning. I have had "real" cash buyers contact me thru Trulia and just closed on a property about a month ago with a wonderful couple that found me on Trulia. I spoke with them on the phone numerous times, met with them when they came to Cape Coral etc...this Hiyashi Jirou has me confused...I can't figure out exactly what he is doing but I don't want anything to do with it. People don't just buy $500,000 homes without seeing them in person.
By Viviana Katz,  Tue Oct 19 2010, 08:51
Look how many of us have wasted time on this jerk! Must be nice to have no life and mess with others!
By Wanda Dewald-Green,  Wed Oct 20 2010, 07:40
I also received this e-mail word for word but did not do anything with it requested the money orders and the bank statement still have not received. Googled his name and was brought here. Thanks for the heads up.
By Wanda Dewald-Green,  Wed Oct 20 2010, 07:43
Also the contact number for the lawyer was different.
By Paulette E Gosden Tumbarello,  Wed Oct 20 2010, 09:13
What a sucker I have been!!! I am ashamed to say that I did not Google his name first and read the comments. I have not received a check and have prepared a contract for his signature and have not heard from him again! What a fool I have been! This will never happen to me again--shame on me once, but NEVER twice!
By Wanda Dewald-Green,  Wed Oct 20 2010, 13:21
I did not do anything either but I did receive another notice from him today.

Hello Wanda,

I have no idea why you are not able to get Mr. Abraham Jacob on phone although I know he is a very busy person but whenever I want to speak with him I always get through to him but sometimes it takes calling several times and he has always states that most times he is in the court room so I do understand his position in this matter so as a result you can email him abrahamj@lawyer.com

I will need an attorney representing my interest in this transaction. The attorney shall handle all legal affairs on my behalf and will be responsible for paying to the Title Company or seller. I will authorize my account manager to effect all payment through the attorney’s law firm.

I need the following information for your attorney immediately for payment

Law Firm Name...................................................

Law Firm Address.......................................................

Law Firm Telephone......................................................

Lawyer's Name...........................................................

I can provide you my account statement as proof of payment but please my document should be treated with utmost care.

Do send me the contract purchase for me to complete. If possible you should send the purchase contract to me in DocuSign format.

I await the purchase contract document and attorney’s contact information.

Regards,

Jirou Hayashi
By Claire LeBlanc, ABR, Realtor,  Wed Oct 20 2010, 13:31
He just emailed me today for a house in Ma. I emailed him back and then Googled him and found all this interesting stuff. When I looked closely he wrote his name Jirou Hayashi and the name on his email Jirouhiyashi he forgot how to spell his own name, there's a BIG CLUE right there.
By Tfellwock,  Thu Oct 21 2010, 10:55
One of my realtors got same thing in last couple of days, sorry to say she has wasted valuable time emailing this scammer. My son's first repsonse was to google him. Thanks for information saved us wasting anymore time.
By Nova Noelia,  Thu Oct 21 2010, 20:41
I don't understand what is the scammer trying to accomplish here? He asks for the lawyer's information, and then what's going to happen? I'm just curious why people do this stuff? Also, what's up with the buyer that says he's coming with $8,000,000 in a duffle bag!
By Christina Blackmon,  Thu Oct 28 2010, 11:01
I got the same email! It's a total scam!
By Lisa and Goran Forss (Broker),  Sat Oct 30 2010, 19:24
Wow, I saw the same thing today. Puh.
By John Walin,  Sun Oct 31 2010, 07:06
The thing is these guys go into the lead hopper so it is meant to get my attention. No way, sight unseen anyone is plopping down 500k on your listing. I did also get a Nigerian businessman email here too. Trulia should detect and cancel accounts associated with these practices!
By Renee Hamilton,  Tue Nov 9 2010, 06:58
Same guy today on Trulia. Did a search and your blog came up. Thank you!
By David L. Mason,  Tue Nov 9 2010, 08:37
Add me to the list:

From Trulia Real Estate Search Tue Nov 9 14:25:17 2010

Hi [Realtor Name]

Jirou found you on Trulia Voices and wanted to drop you a line:
Message from: Jirou
Hello,

Please contact me for real estate purchase.

Regards,
Jirou
Thank you.
Contact sender:
Name: Jirou
Email: jirouhiyashi@yahoo.com
Phone: Not provided

-------------------------

I hope Trulia can find out who this person is and get this stopped, but if not, its always safe to spend a couple extra seconds and Google the keywords and e-mail address to see what comes up. This stuff is all over the place and we do well to share this information. Thanks to all who have added their info.
By Phyllis Mcarthur,  Wed Nov 10 2010, 20:53
I guess 30 years ago you had to be "street smart", now you just have to be smart. Anything that comes in like this I delete half way through. Am I smart? no, not really, I almost fell for a scam regarding a "Iraqi Soldier" and his family. They wanted me to take charge of thier escrow in Austin Texas, and possible put up a 5,000 deposit, as soon as they said "Could you wire us the $5,000,?" I said Buh bye....NOt because I'm smart, only because I'm really frugal.
By John Souerbry,  Thu Nov 11 2010, 04:55
I'm sorry, nieghbors to the north, but many scam contacts seem to be coming out of Canada. If the person making the contact won't come to the area to meet, it's a scam.
By Jan Milstead,  Thu Nov 11 2010, 06:07
Jirou asked me to contact him for real estate purchase - no further comment made...
By J. Mario Preza, CRB, CDPE,  Thu Nov 11 2010, 19:36
RIGHT ON! I recently received two such email messages directly from the Trulia responders, and although they seemed interesting, I could tell almost immediately that they were bogus. You start seeing patterns in some of these scammers, and I get a few such hits on other agent sites I subscribe to. I wonder if the hosts of these sites can do anything about these sorts of things because in some cases the ploy sounds good enough to tempt the novice agent to fall for the trick. Thanks for sharing, I was wondering about that myself.
By Karen Rice,  Fri Nov 12 2010, 10:01
I also received an email, via Trulia, from jirouhiyashi@yahoo.com. I Googled the email address because something didn't seem right and Google found your post. You saved me time and hassle. Thanks Alexis!
By Richard Robinson,  Fri Nov 12 2010, 13:07
I received this same email today. It is very similar to one I received a couple of months ago from another name. I googled that one and while there was a famous person with the same name, they were not a match. I think the scam may be to send you money, cancel the deal and demand a refund back before his check clears. Fat chance that's going to happen. Wish we could send him on a wild chase, but then he would have something to do for a while. Makes you wonder if there is any benefit or payoff, or is it just a lonely person playing games to waste other peoples time.
Thanks for the posts.
By Tim Perkins,  Mon Nov 15 2010, 08:19
Thanks for the information. I also got the jirouhiyashi@yahoo.com email.

Tim
By Tim Perkins,  Mon Nov 15 2010, 08:20
Thanks for the information. I also received the jirouhiyashi@yahoo.com email.

Tim
By Voices Member,  Thu Nov 18 2010, 12:25
I was contacted as well and thought something was a miss. I emailed my attorney and was told to stop all correspondence immediately! Thanks for your post.
By Tim M. Adkins,  Thu Nov 25 2010, 15:49
I got the same information this past week and also got a proof of funds statement. I was sure it was bogus when he said any city in Alabama. Usually someone know what city they would want to live in. Thanks for the heads up.
By Mary Ann Moloy,  Sun Nov 28 2010, 06:03
Yes, it's all a scam. He contacted me this morning..still at work. If people don't take the time to call you or send you a personal email wanting services, I do not reply to these so called "leads". Time is precious, no one needs to be wasting time...we as realtors need to be able to sort through the real leads and the bogus ones. I google all names when contacted and that usually helps to see if there's info out there on these people, such in the case of this guy.
By Lois Kozlow,  Wed Dec 8 2010, 12:24
same thing just happened to me! beware!
By Marsha Jones,  Wed Jan 19 2011, 13:21
I received the same email but he used the name Leo Sung and the Attorney's name is Mr. Eric Thompson. Other than that, the email was identical. I guess he thinks Realtors need something to do.

Marsha Jones
By Jeanne Feenick (908) 337-0943,  Mon Jan 31 2011, 15:35
Just got the same thing - buyer is Tom Shung - same "attorney" though, Eric Thompson. Same address for the buyer. I agree that googling the names is good - googling the buyer name pulled up a thread on Trulia, the attorney name many threads on Trulia.
By Loretha Hendrix,  Tue Feb 1 2011, 08:25
I got the exact same thing from Leo Sung from Cananda. I became suspicious and forwarded to our Attorney. At first I thought it was a scam from docusign. I went to their website put in my information then pushed cancel. Immediately my phone rang and it was a rep from docusign. I told him I was not interested. I wrote the contract forwarded it to Leo Sung and told him I do not use docusign. He even went so far as to send the signed contract back and sent my Closing Attorney $480,000 earnest money and a bogus Bank Statement. The Bank told the Attorney it takes approximately 8 weeks for some foreign checks to clear. Just because some of us are hard workers do not mean we are desperate.
Thanks for the information.
By Glenda Hall,  Tue Feb 1 2011, 13:49
I received the same thing from Mr. Jirou Hayashi. this morning. This lead came from the real estate book.
By Alicia Waltuck Kelley,  Wed Feb 9 2011, 14:13
got the email today:

I will like to offer $690,000.00 MLS: 7544351 because I love the curb appeal of this property, please send me the contract for me to sign and return immediately this will be my retirement home and it will be a cash buy

1. I will want to close on 25 March, 2011

2. I want to put down $50,000.00 Earnest money

3. I want to put contingency on inspection on the contract.

My legal name is Leo Sung of 4645 Jane Street, Toronto Ontario Canada M3N 2K9 and I am single, I will not be in Canada before the closing date to wire the funds to an attorney so I will advice you to send me an attorney information for a check to be drawn to give enough time for check clearance since I wont be in Canada to wire funds for closing.

Please forward me a purchase contract agreement in docusign format, DocuSign format is an electronic way of signing document, forward it to me via docusign format, their website is http://www.docusign.com/ or any other electronic document I don't have access to a printer or scanner here therefore I can not sign and send it back in PDF format I am in a remote area of Japan.

My Canadian rep Mr. Eric Thompson Esq will Issue payment in US Funds for the earnest money for the property payable to your attorney, the check will be deliver to your attorney.

I strongly advice that I need an attorney in your state to represent my interest in this transaction, so therefore I would like to deposit all payment with the lawyer.

Please I need the following information from you the attorney information for immediately payment

Law Firm Name...................................................
Law Firm Address.......................................................
Law Firm Telephone......................................................

Lawyer's Name...........................................................

Regards
By Voices Member,  Fri Feb 25 2011, 13:18
I just received a similar email. He is using the name of Leo Sung in the latest attempt. Thanks for the prior postings. Having all this information prevented me from wasting my time.
By Haley Brown,  Tue Oct 18 2011, 14:14
Another person looking to scam me on Trulia. Not happy with this website. I called the leasing agent and the home is only for sale. doanv.than@yahoo.com is the email. They created an account with actual home owners name! I am disgusted!

Hello,

We are pleased that you have an interest in our house, Our lovely home is still available for lease and we want responsible adults/family who are neat and also believe that they have what it takes to take care of our house as if it were theirs. My wife and I initially had it up for sale but had a change of mind in leasing it out ourselves because the agent that was in charge of our rental property was asking too much of an agent fee and also making it difficult for people who cannot afford the rent, stay away from renting my house.
The reason why our house is up for lease is because I got transferred from my place of work to HOUSTON, TX , I will be away with my family for at least 4 to 5 years because of the love I have for them, I have decided not to sell our house and also assuring them that we only have few years to spend here and will be willing to lease it out to person/family who is willing to assure us of taking absolute care of our home and pay their rent on time. I will start by telling you more in regards me and my family. I have a daughter named Leslie (20yrs) who attends University of HOUSTON, TX as a medical student, she has a lot going for her and she is also down to earth in all that she does to keep us happy and when she is back home on vacation, she also assist her mom in the house work when am at work. I work as a Robotic Programmer & Welder/Fitter here in HOUSTON , TX and got married to a lovely wife who is a member of Joyce Meyer Ministries . We will be very pleased if
we can find the right tenant to rent our home, a person who is a clean freak and does not tolerate anything that has to do with dirt... we also would like to know more about you and your family, your renting experience and how long and when you plan moving into our home. These 3 bedrooms and 2 baths home are very specious and neat.2,764 sqft

Below is the rental property address:
House Address
5420 Donalbaine Drive,
Virginia Beach VA 23464

Monthly Fee ; $1000
Security Deposit: $1000
Pets Allowed:
Available :Available Now for move in.

So pls get back to me today.
I await your reply ASAP.

The rental fee is inclusive with utilities and my home available as at this moment.

God Bless You.