The idea of a green home with things like solar panels, underground geothermal heating systems, radiant floors or green roofs can cost quite a bit up front. But the upside about having these improvements is once you install them, your home becomes more energy efficient and you will begin saving money right away. It is up to you do calculate whether these upgrades will be worthwhile. This is similar to all the hybrid cars on the road, my best guess is it only now after several years of ownership that they are starting to recuperate their costs. Do what makes sense for you!
But if you donâ€™t have expendable income to spend on energy-efficient upgrades, here are some great quick low-cost weekend projects you can do to your home:
1. Replace your shower head.
2. Add aerators to your faucets
3. Install a water-efficient toilet
4. Switch to flourescent light bulbs
5. Install a programmable thermostat
6. Build or install an insulated attic hatch
7. Stop chimney drafts
8. Drain sediments from your water heater
9. Replace your washing-machine hoses
10. Add insulating window treatments
More detailed information can be found here atÂ MSN: 10 energy-efficient upgrades to do this weekend