When people speak of staging their home, they are typically referring
to the inside of the home – decluttering, de-personalizing and sprucing
up the interior living areas to make the home more inviting to
potential buyers. However, people often overlook the importance of staging the exterior of the home. While often
referred to as “increasing curb appeal” this aspect of staging a home
is just as important as ensuring the inside is ready. Remember, people will see your driveway and front porch of your Colorado dream home before they see what the interior has to offer.
Here are ten great tips for ensuring that the outside of your Colorado Springs home sets the stage for a quick sale:
- Create a “to do” list:
Stand at the curb in front of your house and scan your front yard. Jot
down anything that catches your eye that needs attention: edging,
chipped paint, dirty walkway, etc. Then, have a friend perform the same
task and add their items to your list
- Fresh paint: Exterior walls, eaves, doors, shutters, and visible wood should appear freshly painted or stained.
- Clean entryway: Clear any clutter from the entryway to your Colorado Springs Home, store snow boots and shoes and sweep leaves and spider webs away.
- Ensure exterior lights are working:
This includes any fixtures on the home, security lights and landscape
lighting. If you have a dark entry area, consider adding a new light.
- Utilize the outdoor living space: Add an outdoor rug if space allows. If you have a large porch, add a swing or bench that faces the best view from your Colorado dream home.
- Keep the lawn mowed and neatly edged: If the yard is in very poor shape, consider laying sod.
- Clean the flower beds:
Keep them free of fallen leaves and weeds. Consider adding a layer of
mulch – it’s cheap, easy to put down and instantly makes the front yard
look fresh and cared for.
- Add colorful flowers:
Weather and season permitting, plant or pot some fresh flowers outside
the front door. Consider adding potted plants, especially flowers with
yellow blooms as they draw the eye’s attention and makes people feel at
- Trim bushes and trees:
Make sure trees and shrubs aren’t hiding windows, or infringing on
walkways. Also, trimming tree canopies will help ensure this season’s snow doesn’t topple them onto your home.
- Power wash the driveway, walkway, shutters, siding, doors, etc.
In today’s competitive market, staging your home is an important part
of the selling process. With the high number of homes on the market,
your home needs to stand out to potential buyers as well kept, a good
value, and ready for their family to move in. A well-staged Colorado Springs home appears inviting to potential buyers and allows them to see the home as a place their family can live and make memories.
When you’re ready to buy or sell a home in the Pike’s Peak Area, call The Roshek Group! We are ready to help you with all of your real estate needs.