Home > Blogs > 5 Ways to Add Luxury to Your Regular Home
11,836,148 views

Ask Tara @Trulia

make smart decisions w/Tara's real estate + mortgage need-to-knows

By Tara-Nicholle Nelson | Broker in San Francisco, CA

5 Ways to Add Luxury to Your Regular Home

Real estate eye candy is everywhere. And if you love window shopping for homes online, there's a seemingly endless influx of massive mansions listed in the tens of millions of dollars. While their trillion square feet might not tempt you, and their manicured grounds seem like an eco-nightmare requiring a lifetime of landscaping, the luxury amenities and highly customized features do make the living seem easy, right?

Whether you're buying, prepping to sell or simply trying to live the good life in your current home, here are 5 inexpensive ways to add some luxury to your regular home:

1.  Spa bathroom upgrades. I’m not saying you have to have a toilet like Whoopi Goldberg’s or anything.  Her flusher has been featured on the View, Oprah and all over the web - one site even made up a song about it (the ditty is a bit blue, though, so I won’t link here. The curious can find it online.) But her toilet - yes, the toilet - runs around $7,000!! (No typo, folks.)

Image by rb3wreath on flickrIn all seriousness, though, spas tend to have a clean, bright look and feel and luxurious stress-busting features that just flush the tension right out of you (pardon the pun)  - many of which can be installed in your own home for a fraction of what the dreadlocked one paid for her porcelain potty.  For example, pedestal sinks instantly - and inexpensively - open up a bathroom, especially when replacing a dark vanity and wall-to-counter mirrors. I recently put a new pedestal sink in my bathroom for less than $600 - top of the line, including faucets and installation!

Similarly, you can get more of the spa look and experience at home, with a relatively modest investment - especially compared with the lifestyle upgrade for your buck - by installing granite counters (the tiny slab most bathrooms take can run a few hundred dollars), a basic bathtub with jets or river-rock shower floors for under a thousand dollars!

2.  Custom, decorative paint treaments.  Sponge painting?  TrèImage by Crown Molding on flickrs 1990.  Murals in your kids’ rooms, entry hall inspirational mantras that greet your guests - paint is one of the least expensive “edits” you can make to your home, and homeowners are upleveling their home’s aesthetics with custom paint in lots of luxe-ey ways.

From harlequin diamonds to chair rails, crown moldings and wainscoating, decorative paint treatments are a simple, cheap and chic method for upping the luxury in your home life.

3.  Built-in anything. Part of what makes uber-luxury homes, well, uber-luxurious is the fact that it seems like living life in them would be so neat and clean and easy. One way to get that feel in your very own home is to build in some of the necessities, optimizing the way you use your space and takes great advantage of otherwise unusable areas, generally creating what the feng shui set would deem free-flowing chi.

Consider building in:
  • Storage systems. From shelved nooks to closet organizers to garage grids for sports equipment, storage systems eliminate clutter and make sure there’s a place for everything, and that everything has a place. If you can afford a custom cabinet installation or custom closets, they certainly offer the fancy moldings and modules that create luxury appeal.  But many home improvement stores now offer much less expensive versions of these systems that look and work great.
  • Desks and bookshelves.  Like storage, but activity-specific, built-in office equipment maintains order and can turn a dead corner of a room into a highly useful workstation.  To replicate this functionality on the cheap, find a corner or nook and put in an armoire-style workstation that closes and folds up when you’re not working.  And built-in bookshelves are a time-tested selling point when your home is being sold, by the by, so, if you have an empty area from old-school built-ins which were removed, installing inexpensive shelving might be a great way to go.
  • Wine storage. Dead space under the stairs can easily be transformed into a wine cellar or storage space. My own personal wine cellar is where I store my kid’s chocolate milk, my electrolyte water and a bottle or two fish sauce, but it’s a great feature to have at home, no matter what you’ll use it for!
  • Recycling/compost/trash centers.  Try as we might to minimize it, we all generate trash. Built-in centers with clearly marked waste receptacles make this dirty part of life less messy and more manageable.

4.  Dedicated spaces for anything.  There’s no need to go all Candy Spelling and dedicate multiple rooms to gift wrapping.  But space is a luxury in and of itself, so dedicated space for your film-watching (a theater room), gardening materials, crafting supplies or even the kids’ homework is an extra-special, super-duper luxury, especially if it’s equipped with the right equipment for the activity to which the room, half-room or even corner or nook is dedicated.

5.  Automation.  Remember the Jetsons?  The vision for this century was a fully automated, robotic home that did all the work of life for you, so your time would be free to shop at Mooning Dales or work for Mr. Spacely building sprockets.  Most of that hasn’t happened, and that’s probably for the good.  But injecting small touches of automation into your home can give it a decidedly high-end feel - for very, very little cash.

(And they're also gadget-ally delicious!)

I personally just put a couple of these  automated trash cans- $60 each! - into my own kitchen. They’re hands free, so eliminate the germiness and clunkiness of opening a lid with your hands or feet, and they were the hit of a recent dinner party!  (Okay, it was the food, then the trash cans that guests admired.  But still.)  Many hands-free or automatic household items are available at very low prices, like automatic soap pumps, paper towel dispensers and robotic vacuum cleaners.

And if you want a built-in recycling center with a techie feel, here’s one that should really float your boat - $100 bucks for in-home, eco-chic luxe!

P.S. - You should follow Trulia and Tara on Facebook, too!

Comments

By Richard Prescott,  Thu May 12 2011, 05:16
Another way to add luxury (or other changes) if you're selling - is Virtual staging. Get buyers or renters' interest on the internet with great images of your home that get the attention you know it deserves. Virtual stagers do it all with a good photo or two plus their imaging technology, and it can cost much less than real renovations or even real home stagers.
By John Crowe,  Thu May 12 2011, 05:29
Interesting!
By John Potter,  Thu May 12 2011, 05:34
Bathroom pedestal takes away storage space. As does the vanity that now has no storage for simple items such as toothbrushes that are easier to access from the vanity than a closet. Your picture of decor after 6 months now becomes a cleaning menace full of dust in all of the little crevices. Looks nice for three months than a mess after that without added maintenance. What you say on the one hand you contradict on the other. Your automated devices are handyman delights in a years time. Fix it man will be at your house. Granite counter tops are old style now. There must be something more elegant you can recommend. Does not sound like your dead space under your stairs is a wine cellar. Storing chocolate milk outside a refrigerator is not wise. Will not last very long. The area under the stairs probably is far from the temperature in a refrigerator. Even a wine cellar is probably not cool enough for milk storage. Needs ice. Your economic life of your house appears to have diminished with these changes to a vanity fair with high maintenance.
By Qing Hui Wang(Emily) Realtor,  Thu May 12 2011, 05:54
Wise ideas. thanks
By Cindy Billman,  Thu May 12 2011, 05:56
Tara - thanks, good points - I love pedestal sinks for small bathrooms but a medicine cabinet would be an absolute must for storage!
By Lindapwg,  Thu May 12 2011, 06:05
I agree with John about the pedestal sinks. I'm looking for a new home and when I see one of those things I calculate how much it'll take to "fix it" - and many times it's the thing that makes me click out of that house and on to the next. I'd rather see an "Ikea vanity setup" than a pedestal sink, and that's saying something.
By Carol Vonrabenstein,  Thu May 12 2011, 06:09
A new kick plate on the front door. Amazing what it can do for $15 bucks!
By Voices Member,  Thu May 12 2011, 06:10
For those who can't afford the pedestal sink and granite counter tops hope is not lost! Get out a bucket and scrub brush and make your front entrance door sparkle! Add a pot of flowers on either side of the front door and a new door mat. You have just bumped up the first impression of your home to a prospective buyer for less than $50! While you have the bucket out check all the doors inside and the light switches for dirty fingerprints. You might be blind to them now but your buyers are not! Quick mini face lift!
By Jim Lamson,  Thu May 12 2011, 06:48
By Jim Lamson,

Of course whether adding luxury to your existing home or your new home, the 203K Renovation loan is one way to make it possible. The 'K' doesn't just limit you to work that 'must' be done but can be used to add just about anything but a pool.
By Geri,  Thu May 12 2011, 06:51
I thought this was suppose to be inexpensive up grades it all seams rather exoensive in my mind
By Geni Manning,  Thu May 12 2011, 06:54
Or you can use a professional stager to help you with it all! I'm a professional stager and will be glad to help. :)
By Drinaldi4,  Thu May 12 2011, 07:06
John Potter - I've never heard ANYone more negative, and I've been around 50 years. Man, lighten up! Your opinion is JUST an opinion - not gospel.
By Johanna,  Thu May 12 2011, 07:10
Great ideas, thanks.
I especially like the idea of dedicated spaces as a luxury in and of itself...with two dogs, teens and husband I could really use this in my own home!
By Arlene Macdonald,  Thu May 12 2011, 07:17
I have to agree with Mr. Potter, pedestal sinks do look nice, but I need the space that comes with the vanity. I am ready to make some changes to my bathroom , I will be adding more cabinets---I do have the space to do this, doesn't everyone always need more space?
By Aaron Schreiner,  Thu May 12 2011, 07:26
Great ideas! I've always found value in built-in storage.
By Barbara,  Thu May 12 2011, 07:32
Great Ideas! Love pedestal sinks for smallish spaces and bath storage built-ins above toilet and med cabinet. Like the dedicated spaces for dedicated activities. Mr. Potter needs to lighten up. If granite is no longer popular, please tell me what is better? I truly would like to know before I purchase this for my new home??
By Tiger_lux,  Thu May 12 2011, 07:38
I guess a pedestal sink is best in a "powder room" or guest bathroom--but not a master or kid's bath. A pedestal sink makes a room that is small -- i.e. half bath -- look larger. Master baths don't need to look large bc they already are.
It sounds from the article that the "wine cellar" is actually a wine fridge. So no probs w the chocolate milk, John.
By Susanne M. Dutton,  Thu May 12 2011, 08:01
I put in the pedestal sink, but realized you will have to replace that storage somewhere. Storage that is up off the floor maintains that more open look.
By Sciolle,  Thu May 12 2011, 08:04
I would never exchange a cabinet sink for a pedestal. The storage lost is anxiety ....
By Katherine Lent,  Thu May 12 2011, 08:15
OK, you definitely sold me on the trash can. In m Amazon cart!!
By Elainelv56@aol.com,  Thu May 12 2011, 08:22
I no about all this thank you.
By Darren Floyd,  Thu May 12 2011, 08:29
John Potter, you must be a blast at parties. What a downer you are!

I like most of these ideas. Pedestal sinks are great in small guest bathrooms or powder rooms that don't need much storage. Master bathrooms and children's bathrooms need cabinet storage underneath but first floor guest bathrooms usually don't. Granite is still the stone that says "luxury" to most people. Personally, I'm not into polished granite. I like granite to be honed to a matte finish, not polished, for a modern and industrial look. I prefer kitchen trash cans to be hidden away. SimpleHuman makes a great under-counter pullout system with dual bins for trash and recycle. I do use the Simple Human automatic trash cans similar to the one linked above in both the garage and in the laundry room for lint, and they work great. For other home automation, try adding some lighting controls. There are many DIY systems available. Insteon makes a good system that's inexpensive and infinitely expandable. You can set lighting scenes and dim levels via a secure web interface. Or if you have a bigger budget, try a Control4 system that will tie-into your home audio, heating, door locks and security system. You'll be able to control your entire system from your iPhone while you're away. I have this and it's great. But, admittedly, Control4 falls outside the "budget" part of this discussion because it requires custom installation.
By Robert C. Lages, PA CDPE DMV ,  Thu May 12 2011, 08:35
Thanks for all the pros & cons. Interesting information/comments
By Terryjourney,  Thu May 12 2011, 08:38
Can someone tell me what brand pedestal sink this is? Love it! Thank you!
By Gloria Laughton Allston,  Thu May 12 2011, 08:42
No doubt about it -These are some of the upgrades that are desired by those looking for features in a more upscale home.
By Carolyn Mitchell,  Thu May 12 2011, 08:57
I really like these ideas, thanks for sharing.
By Robin,  Thu May 12 2011, 09:04
Dang Potter....relax!! Do you just spend your day writing junk like that???
By Soody54,  Thu May 12 2011, 09:15
RESPONSE TO: Geez, dude. Reminds me of those Dads who yell at their kids for getting an A-minus (instead of an A) on their report card. Kinda like my old boyfriend's Dad who used to complain that I was always "too happy" on the phone. Whaaa? Is there such a thing as too happy?

I feel sorry for Mr. P. Nothing seems good enough, everything's negative, and not ONE positive note to offer. I LOVED the article and enjoyed her writing style, too. And I would certainly hate to be saddled with the kind of thought process that occupies poor Mr. Potter's widdle head. Kinda sad, really. Wake up and smell the roses! They're really out there!

By John Potter, Thu May 12 2011, 05:34
By Jim Mondicih,  Thu May 12 2011, 09:20
Pedistal sinks are fine for main bathrooms however with 4 bath rooms in the house we had a ten foot cabinate and counter top his her sinks in the master bed room it was nice.
By John C Carlisle,  Thu May 12 2011, 09:24
If you replace a vanity with a pedestal sink and remove a wall mirror, you may have to replace flooring and make repairs on the wall. It would be better if you mentioned this so people don't get too far into a project and then realize it will take more time and money than you make it sound. I'd also be curious where you can find "Top of the line," sinks and faucets installed for $600. Most nice bathroom fixtures I look at are $350-400 and the last pedestal sink I purchased was around $400, that did not include installation. One more "picky" thing: the picture shows a bead board wall behind the pedestal sink. That may or may not have been behind a vanity, causing another expense. I think these kinds of ideas are great, but people need to be given realistic expectations, not just, "Wow, look what you can do for only $600!"
By Kathy Weber (951) 551-7587,  Thu May 12 2011, 09:31
Not everything "pretty" is practical - the suggestions make the home look more appealing - adjust according to your individual needs - always love your posts Tara. Oh, I do remember the Jetson's!!!!
By Debra (Debbie) Rose,  Thu May 12 2011, 09:33
Well, all I can say is - who doesn't like a touch of luxury!!

However, luxury may be in the eye of the beholder.....if one doesn't drink, a wine storage area may seem like a waste of space.....(but since I do love wine - bring it on!!)

In regard top Whoopie's fancy commode (sounds nicer than calling it a toilet!), my friend has one of those (I think the company that manufactures it is called Toto?)........and that amazing contraption does everything except read you a bedtime story! haha
Just one little cute feature is - you wave your hand in front of it, and the lid automatically rises or lowers!
By Jim Mondicih,  Thu May 12 2011, 09:40
Land scape do it your self I go to a grower with a pick up after each house I build tell him to fill it up showing him areas I want to hide with high plantings and entrance ways that need colour using a couple more expensive plants that show people you didn't skimp an anything and he usually cuts me a deal and throws in some extras he has an overstock on..(Don't block windows) don't be lazy spend a couple hours or hire some kids to dig the holes. PS: take some pictures of the house to show him he will know what do. Buy something to Keep grass from comming up use your pick up and go directly to the gravel pit and get the kinds of stones you want
By Elaine Laird Gaertner,  Thu May 12 2011, 10:10
Enough with the storage issue. Throw out the junk that doesn't fit. You need a dozen fluffy towels rolled on a shelf next to the tp display, and an attractive little basket for the small stuff. Put in the pedestal sink for a tidier floor space.
By Ron Peterson,  Thu May 12 2011, 10:15
A central vacuum should be on the list.

Countertops should be seamless for ease of cleaning, Although one might prefer a synthetic solid surface like Corian or Silestone, I wouldn't pull out slab granite to make the change.

Concrete floors in the basement or garage can coated or covered to make them more attractive and easier to clean.

Don't forget to do landscaping with special regard to firm scaping (putting in retaining walls, paths, decks, patios) to make the outside more livable.

Safety items like hand holds in the bathroom are always a good idea.

A picture rail is the most attractive way to hang pictures.
By Margherite Myers,  Thu May 12 2011, 10:16
I think we need to take Mr. Potter out for a beer.
By Chris,  Thu May 12 2011, 10:36
I like those new sinks that have a cabinet with a bowl sitting on top. They are stylish, have room for storage and are relatively inexpensive... definately an upgrade.
By Tess,  Thu May 12 2011, 11:07
I'm with Lindapwg and John!!!
I abso-freaking-lutely HATE the pedestal sinks! I would NEVER be looking for a new home with "those things" and I'm like Lindapwg would calculate how much it'll take me to "fix it" OR 99% I would walk away.
Pedestal sinks scream - limited space & most of the time cheap upgrade! So, congrats you contradicted yourself.
And about other permanent apgrades - you need to be very careful as well. You have now idea what for or how potential buyer wants to use that spare space in your home. Less is more if it's not a 6,000 sqft mansion.
By Lisa Hancock,  Thu May 12 2011, 11:13
Pedestal sinks -- you love them or you don't. I've survived the installation and use of many pedestals including one in my current downsized home in which I actually share an upstairs bathroom with my kids! The floor underneath needed no repair and I have never had to make repairs with any of my pedestals. Our full bath space is small, but the American Standard Restrospect pedestal with generous surface space for toothbrushes and soaps really opens it up. For storage, we have a large, oval mirrored medicine cabinet (Lowes) above. In addition, I installed shelves above the toilet with an attractive wicker basket system (also Lowes). Each household member has his/her own large rectangular, portable basket for personal items. No cheap drawers to mess with and no accumulation of clutter in a vanity. The sink in the photo may be Kohler Memoirs, another attractive option but without as much surface space on top.
By Kendra Borland,  Thu May 12 2011, 11:29
This article was good. Although I too only like pedestal sinks in powder rooms! As For Mr Potter, he must not be aware that Permelat (sp?)makes individual cartons of milk that are pasturized and not perishable. You can store them just about anywhere.
By GAMA Contracting Services, Inc,  Thu May 12 2011, 12:49
I will definitely consider some of this on next remodel.
Regarding the loss of storage when you replace your outdated vanity cabinets with a pedestal.... There are many interesting and fun ways to add the storage back to your room. One example would be a cool covered basket under the pedestal. Another may be a funky hanging corner shelf or cabinet, or a cabinet over the toilet. Make it fun!
By Tamara Schuster Broker, Agent,  Thu May 12 2011, 14:51
Hi Tara, you always post great articles. I do think all trash should be hidden from view preferably under the sink unless your entertaining. This is no matter how nice the container, but if you must show it get a nice one!
By eLiz,  Thu May 12 2011, 15:10
Pedestal sinks do look nice, and in a powder room may be adequate. I am one who likes lots of storage, and I also look at all the creivces that would be a cleaning nightmare, unless that is your love of choice, ah chores, lol. I keep trying to find toiltets that don't have all these curvy spaces that attract dust and dirt. Why doesn't someone make a purely streamlined smooth one, that doesn't cost a fortune to buy?
By Glennpjoyner,  Thu May 12 2011, 18:29
CLEAN! Clean is the real name of the game. Immaculate and spotless. Pristine. Even older stuff looks great when it sparkles. Makes it look loved and cared for. Fresh paint on everything, even baseboards.
By Lynne,  Thu May 12 2011, 22:58
I am a Realtor and love the comments about spiffing up the front door (including many times replacing oxidized door hardware), adding that classy kick plate and adding potted plants, but it seems from the title of the article that the goal is to add luxury to your existing home, not to sell it. Staging is not conducive to really living in a home, and the living is what counts. (ergo ix-nay on the cute pedestals except in half baths because they eliminate storage) Make the renovations as inexpensive as possible and do something you LOVE. Which may include simply new throw pillows! Get them at a consignment store, and NOW you are talking cheap!
By Carol Southern,  Fri May 13 2011, 06:59
I actually appreciate Mr Potter's comment, because it generated a lot of pros & cons on the suggested upgrades! For example, now I have a better overall picture of whether a pedestal sink is a good idea or not.
By Davida Williams,  Fri May 13 2011, 11:02
I too appreciated Mr. Potter's insightful comment. I don't think it was not written in any way but to be informative. Yes, I agree with Lynne that the article (however lightly) touched on the subject of how to make your home luxurious. The simplest ways to do that is to clean it (good Glenn and other poster) including the walls. Making sure everything is neat and clean (especially if you don't have the money for anything else) is extremely important for your and other's health.

However, built-ins are a great idea for luxury, if it can work for you. If it will turn into another corner that will collect dust, do without it. Less is more and the feeling and knowing that you have extra and open space is actually alot more luxurious than most people understand or realize. If you find that you need more storage, its probably that you need less things. The book, "One Year to an Organized Life" by Regina Leeds is EXTREMELY useful because she ACTUALLY breaks it down for you week by week, month by month so that you have the luxury of having an organized home.

By the way about sinks, there are now sinks that have a top drawer that goes around the main drain. And they come in so many different colors and finishes. Okay, sorry this post was so long. I never posted before and I am sure I violated some posting code of etiquette. (chuckle). Sorry about that. Thanks for the article.
By Alissa Spears,  Fri May 13 2011, 12:18
I love these ideas. They are so do-able and affordable. Thank for sharing such awesome information.
By Alissa Spears,  Fri May 13 2011, 12:18
By Jim and Sally Scrimgeour,  Fri May 13 2011, 20:44
Terrific, easy and affordable ideas for making big impressions! Love sharing these quick & easy 'how to articles' on trulia with our sellers...great conversation starters on how to be more competitive in this real estate market!
By Amanda Laws,  Sat May 14 2011, 00:32
Wow realy nice tips .
By Helen Oliveri,  Sat May 14 2011, 14:42
Terrific blog! Great tips!
By Agnes Tabor, REALTOR,  Sat May 14 2011, 14:51
Joanne,
Your comment was right on, you don't have to spend a whole lot to make your home appealing to a buyer. Be original bake a cake or some cookies nothing is more welcoming than the smell of something just out of the oven.
By Agnes Tabor, REALTOR,  Sat May 14 2011, 14:53
Trulia is an inspiration gets us all thinking with the result being agents and the customer are all benefactors.
By Anne,  Sun May 15 2011, 12:49
I appreciate the current culutural move to living simple. I lived on a Pearson 38 sailboat for 4 years, while working full time. When we moved aboard we obviously had to scale down. First went all the counter top appliances. Amazing what you can do with cutlery, 3 pans, and reusing containers then disposing when a new one comes in from some other food product. Then there's your wardrobe: mix and match. I could get more boring with scaling down cosmetics, medicine, etc. And how many sets of towels and sheets do you really need? No more than two sets - pass along excess where it won't be taking up space and someone else could use. When I moved in my house, I had no problem having a pedestal sink. and a few attractive containers like someone else described. The room always looks neat. Garbage? Get some fresh air and exercise, take more trips to dispose in the outdoors' containers. I learned a lot living on that sailboat - 'conspicuous consumers' (did I reveal my old age?) keep you tied down. We now strive to keep our possessions to a minimum. Simple is neat and free. Stop the stuff clutter. Change your thinking. Enjoy your freedom.
By Decorgeek,  Sun May 15 2011, 14:21
Mr. Prescott,
The Virtual Staging is not a good idea in the long run because it could be construed as a "bait & switch" tactic. Changing the way a home really looks online with technology will only disappoint and possibly alienate a buyer because what the person saw online is vastly different from reality. I know if a house had a certain look and feel to it online and I then went to view the home and it was different from what I viewed online I would not be happy. I think the virtual staging idea was good in thought, but not appropriate in practice. Besides, you could always do a cheaper version and "redesign" your space to update the look for a sale. There's sometimes no way of getting around spending money to prepare your house for going on the market. You can only cut corners so far.
By Kathi,  Mon May 16 2011, 19:59
Fascinating...with regards to all the comments.
By Ladoucemaddy,  Thu May 19 2011, 05:27
Every time I find a condo I want, it is already sold. I think that Trulia should be sure of what's for sale and what is already sold........ It is frustrating... Thank you!

I am trying to find a condo in Deerfield Beach 33441 2 bed, 2 baths, washer and dryer in appart., condo fees under $300...... 2nd level...... for under $50,000.00 Would pay cash......no financing

P.S. Also I am interested in Meadows Lakes on the 15th street or Ave 33442 only.
By Ladoucemaddy,  Thu May 19 2011, 05:32
Every time I find a condo I want, it is already sold..... I think that Trulia should be sure of what's for sale and what is already sold.... It is frustrating.... Thank you!!!!
I am trying to find a condo in Deerfield Beach 33441...... 2 bed, 2 bath, washer and dryer in appart... condo fees under $300.00 .... 2nd level..... for under $50,000.00 No financing, would pay cash..
P.S. Also interested in Meadows lakes on the 15 th street or ave 33442 in this zip the only place...
By Shannon Lyon,  Sat May 21 2011, 10:59
Kitchens and bathrooms sell the home. If you want to upgrade above the norm for your area, start there
By Gerard J. Carney,  Sat May 21 2011, 11:19
Rule of thumb should be that if you are spending a few hundred to less than five thousand, and it is popular upgrading, do it! But if you are standing there saying do I spend $7000 for new carpet, think twice, better to give the buyer $5000 in allowances for Flooring, telling them you know the carpet down now is not up to snuff. The allowance allows the buyer to get new carpet, or to put it towards maybe wood flooring. this means you can please more potential buyers with the allowance than by actually putting new carpet down, then hear a buyer go, oh I wish it were hard wood and not carpet!
By Xmasbb,  Sat May 21 2011, 19:55
An alternative to the pedestle sink is a low profile sink (for a small bath), The storage is still there...who uses the back of the cabinets anyway? The cabinet depth is the difference..makes the bath look MUCH bigger becase pf the increased floor space. Most everywhere carries them. I think we used Lowes or Home Depot for ours,. The best upgrade we ever did? The front door and resurfacing and faux painting the porch. Tied for best? Our wonderful yard (originally a mudslide/'eyesore). We get more wow comments on the yard than the house. Laminate vs. hardwood? I say yay,
By Katarina,  Sun May 22 2011, 18:01
Great ideas!
By Carmen Brodeur- Top 1% Realtor,  Mon May 23 2011, 17:28
Great ideas - I find many buyers love granite in the bathroom. It is a relatively inexpensive way to add a huge dash of luxury.
By Elizabeth Paulo,  Tue May 24 2011, 09:46
Simple, quick and easy! Wonderful suggestions, although I do find furniture sinks with raised vessels add a lot of luxury and have become very inexpensive, yet offer a big impact to bathrooms.
By Helen Oliveri,  Tue May 24 2011, 14:13
Great simple tips to live the life of luxury.
By Haddoxerik,  Wed May 25 2011, 01:31
I visit your site. It is necessary to add luxury to our homes. It is useful to every house working woman. I like your post.

___________
By A.J. Ackerman 239-349-3784,  Wed May 25 2011, 04:34
Amazing how many comments are here. =)
By Alison Shuman,  Thu May 26 2011, 16:13
What a fantastic list. Love the photos and the real advice.
By Karla Wagner #1 Broker JLS LTP,  Sat May 28 2011, 12:45
Great information as always Tara. Thank you!
By Ruth & Perry Mistry,  Sat May 28 2011, 13:23
Great article. Excellent comments on automating items around the house
And making it like that of the Jetsons.

Ruth
By Lilbeth Reniva,  Thu Jun 2 2011, 03:12
This is very useful and informative! I'm going to follow your advice.
By Jane Grant,  Thu Jun 2 2011, 10:12
Excellent ideas and I would add that spending a little more on kitchen appliances can be a great way to add luxury to items that are used every single day!
By Tean Wong,  Sun Jun 5 2011, 06:49
Adding luxury is a lot easier than a lot of people think, and sometime is not too expensive.
By Melia Indra,  Fri Jun 10 2011, 07:05
Inspired to try a few in my own house! Thanks!!
By Tdfox,  Mon Jun 13 2011, 20:38
We are a professional foreign trade website, mainly engaged in all kinds of polo shirts. OurCrested polo shirtsnow. Welcome to our website for shopping.
By Butch Losbanes,  Wed Jun 15 2011, 09:38
This is such a wonderful advice, thanks for sharing this tips and I will definitely try this out.

By Chris Blasic,  Sat Jun 18 2011, 23:11
I tell my clients just keep it clean! A well mantained property never seems to have a problem selling.
By Steve Daria,  Mon Jul 11 2011, 08:55
This is a great blog and awesome advice for anyone trying to sell a home. Simple, inexpensive upgrades can do a LOT!
By Carlos del Amo,GREEN,CDPE,  Tue Jul 26 2011, 21:53
Love the built in recycling center. Cool idea,but a little too much to spend.

Live Green
By Brian Petrelli,  Tue Aug 30 2011, 11:56
Great ideas. Thanks for the article.
By Philippblake,  Thu Sep 15 2011, 04:30
Hi, I agree with you. Really this blog is very informative.

executive office furniture
By Diane Diamond,  Thu Dec 29 2011, 08:55
While pedestal sinks can look great, you lose storage and counter space. Storage is everything, especially in Las Vegas, where very few homes have basements, let alone attics! Any time you can maximize storage by building in shelves, putting double bars in clothing closets, utilizing empty space under stairs, having a storage-savvy garage, etc., will definetly win the hearts of home buyers. I have added shelves to dormer windows; circled my son's room with a 10" deep shelf - 18" down from the ceiling - for books and collectibles; added a high shelf on one side of my pantry to store paper towels (as I pull one out, the others drop down - holds 18 rolls and frees up valuable space); built half-shleves in the pantry, so that it accomodates short and tall items and makes everything easy to find; built-in glass-front cabinets under the front side of a never-used kitchen bar (on the side facing the family room) - the perfect place for wine glasses, books, a prized collection, etc.; the ideas are endless.
You can call granite old-fashioned, but it's still a head-turner and much desired by buyers. A newer twist could be to select a different surface for the kitchen island - like stainless steel.
Paint is still the best bang for your buck. Neutral & Flat with white or off white trim. Nothing transforms a room faster and for less money. Please don't sponge - that look is OVER.
And if you have no money left in the decorating coffers - CLEAN IS KING!! Nothing is more appealing than a clean house. Period.
By Wendy.neugebauer,  Thu Dec 29 2011, 12:10
Um, we were just in Germany and talk about not having any storage. No closets, no bathroom cabinets, or storage, and a limited number of cabinets in the kitchen. Sorry, but I am with Potter......I love my storage, electric toothbrushes, hair dryers, curling irons, electric shaver (hubby). Where else would you put all that stuff and who wants to deal with "hiding it" on a daily basis. Give me my counters with sinks built in and cabinets underneath for all those things that we just want accessible on a daily basis. Just because he is "practical" does NOT make him negative.
By Uget,  Thu Dec 29 2011, 18:58
By Mimi la puce,
this report is for each writer to give their own personal opinion and NOT to criticize others' opinion. It is not a GOP debate for god's sake!
And for those critics, I also will add that I do not like pedestals sinks, they are very impractical for storage and especially in small bathrooms.
By Mellis,  Fri Dec 30 2011, 05:41
Bathroom and kitchen should be considered well worth it improvements, also painting and putting things away - I like the Ann's statement about stop the clutter. we did the above things and also priced our house after having our realtor give us the comps in our neighborhood, it was painful to digest the reality of how the prices of houses have fallen but we took her advice and sold the house in this market in one month. good luck to all you sellers, take heart it will happen...
By Gwen Janicki,  Mon Jan 2 2012, 05:55
I agree that paint is one of the least expensive “edits” you can make to your home. I gather a staging team (painter, handyman and stager) before listing any home and frequently start with a good paint color to neutralize the overall look. Then I bring a stager in to either supplement what is already there, rearrange it or fill select rooms of an empty house. I use a stager who inventories her own furniture so the cost would be considered minimal. I am always amazed how a less than desireable kitchen or bath can be staged to sell. In the last few months, I've had two homes under contract in 24 and 48 hours with this strategy.
By Acceptprint11,  Tue Mar 20 2012, 03:08
Hi, this blog is really instructive. I would like to know more about this.

luxury office furniture
By Robertcliff,  Mon Apr 30 2012, 20:49
I am very happy to see this blog again.This is also remembering the office furniture.These furniture are quite awesome. Thank you.

By Voices Member,  Fri May 31 2013, 13:54
It is amazing how ofter Law and Real Estate overlap in my day to day life... I should read more of these articles!

David | http://johnbraniganlawoffices.com/practice-areas/philadelphia-auto-accident-attorney/
By Voices Member,  Fri Jun 7 2013, 12:24
You can also add a new bathtub: http://www.kitchen-bath.biz/baths.html
By Voices Member,  Tue Jun 18 2013, 13:20
Your writing definitely lights up the internet, Tara! Keep up the excellent work! :)

David | http://www.fireflybuys.com/m-81-terralux-products.aspx
By Voices Member,  Fri Jun 28 2013, 13:07
Another way to add luxury is to remove things that don't allow peace and calm. Loud music, messes, etc. Great work, Tara!

David | http://www.snowballpestcontrol.com/termite-control