Decatur real estate in this part ofÂ DeKalb County sold in 1822 for 10 cents an acre.Â The following year, Decatur was named the County Seat and the area began developing. Leafmore Hills and the surrounding area was once a rural farming community with few homes and noÂ 4-lane highways.Â Dairy farms dotted the landscape and Clairmont Road, now a major artery, was part of an Indian trail.Â There were no shopping centers, grocery stores, or restaurants, just small crop farms and cows!
An expanding population pushed Atlanta eastward towards Decatur, which was becoming a prestigious suburb by the early 1950â€™s.Â According toÂ history compiled by the Leafmore Civic Association, there was a country storeÂ with a single gas pump, pot-bellied stove and rocking chair located at North Druid Hills Road and LaVista Road.Â Development of Leafmore Hills began in 1952 and filled the neighborhood with young families, all new to the area.Â Leafmore Hills became a close-knit community with an active Garden Club, Clubhouse, and Pool.
Local Leafmore Architecture
Decatur Area Amenities
Â Atlanta Decatur Homes is a local Atlanta real estate company selling homes in the Druid Hills, Atlanta, Decatur and Tucker neighborhoods for over 25 years.