Today'sÂ Chicago Tribune articleÂ reports the tragic news of deaths in Rogers Park due apparent carbon monoxide poising. CO2 is a silent killer and can tragically kill in a matter of minutes without the occupants knowing there is any problem. CO2 can accumulate for many reasons - including a faulty furnace, block exhaust, etc. Â Tragically, for one family in Rogers Park, awareness and prevention against this common risk come too late.
Let this event teach us all the importance of appropriate detectors. Â Get them and install them. Â f you have them already, make sure they are functioning properly. Â Change batteries routinely. Â Also, be aware that some detectors have a limited lifetime and require replacement after a period of time. Â Don't let a tragedy like this strike again.