Home > Blogs > Oklahoma > Oklahoma County > Oklahoma City > James Smith Company and Ryan Smith

Phill & Theresa Slocum's Blog

By Phill & Theresa Slocum | Agent in 79041

James Smith Company and Ryan Smith

We attended the Get Motivated Seminar, the $49 Seminar for James Smith where Ryan Smith was the main speaker along with other speakers, plus the $4,000, 3 day Real Estate Workshop/Seminar.

First of all, My family would like to thank Ryan Smith and James Smith, for Ryan's compassion and kindness shown to me and my family. We hope to be able to repay your kindness someday by paying it forward after implementing the skills learned from the 3 day Real Estate Workshop. We have started looking for properties that would fit our situation.

The Get Motivated Seminar is truly exactly what the title implies. My husband and I were almost to the point of not even caring about anything anymore. We had pretty much given up. We are an older couple in our 50'S., and after a career in the military; My husband is a retired officer, and he spent 11 years trying to climb the ladder in corporate America. Phill spun his wheels 11 years ,and then he was laid off. My husband is a hard worker not a slacker. I believe he was let go due to his age, and that he was one of the better paid managers due to his experience. You know . . .- hire a younger candidate with less experience pay him $20,000 less a year; anyway due to lack of work to cover our bills, we pretty much had given up hope. We are still down and out, but we do have hope.

We left the Get Motivated Seminar with hope that maybe it was not all over yet. We live for our children gave them everything we could and still are, and we are and were drained, financially and mentally drained. Our savings account drained, everything drained.

And then the Get Motivated Seminar and the James Smith Company came into our lives. The spark of hope was lit in the Get Motived Seminar and the Fire was ignited with the James Smith Company.

And Ryan was instrumental in fanning the flame to motivate our lost hope and zeal.

Phill once again after being beaten down by life is zealous to accomplish success. We still have no money, but we have hope and a ton of possibilities! We are excited about our future. Phill, Josh, & I plan to somehow form a llc.

We hope to attend more seminars in the future. If we could, We Would purchase the M5 without reservation. Too bad they don't let you make the money and then pay them, but that is not how the real world works.

Seriously, I found Ryan to be a Beautiful young person inside as well as out. Sure he makes mistakes, but who doesn't. We all make mistakes. I thought Ryan and family, but especially Ryan, to be genuine and caring and even be a sweet, kind, young person.

Ryan pushed our ship towards success. We are not there yet, but I have every confidence that we will be.

The only regret I do have is that I do not have the funds to purchase the M5 with the added training and products I know we would attain our goals. I would never in my wildest dreams -dream that we could make 5 million in 5 years, but they have us dreaming it, and you can not buy that. Dreams are inspired not bought, so A Huge Thank You to Ryan and the James Smith Family for the flame that was once smothered out by life in general.

Theresa, The Lady in the Wheel Chair, OKC, July 2009 & Aug 2009

John 3, Deut. 28, Psalms 91

Look us up on the interenet at:

March 31, 2011
I had no idea this blog would be such a popular topic.  I have had many people contact me regarding this blog.  Most recently, someone ( I am leaving their name out due to privacy issues) contacted me asking, if they should spend their $4,000 to attend the 3 day seminar.  They mentioned that they would have to scrimp and try to find the money, and that they could not really afford to attend the seminar, and they wanted my opinion;

Should they spend the money?

To anyone reading this blog and wanting my advice.  I am happy to share my personal experience, But I respectfully request that you do not base spending your money on my blog, especially if you can not afford to go to the seminar, and you are spending your last $4,000, or you have to try to find or borrow the money.

I appreciate that you value our experience and opinion, but we  really do not want to be responsible for your decision if you should or should not attend the James Smith Seminar.  Only you can determine, if you should or should not go based on your own personal financial and life evaluation.

If you can not afford to attend the seminar, the internet is a wealth of information.  Utilize the internet for free information.  I buy new & used materials from Amazon.

Best of Life and Success to those who read this blog, and

Thank you to those who have added your comments and shared your experiences.

Comments

By Ken Cruise,  Wed Mar 9 2011, 14:25
I attended the 3 day workshop of James Smith Co. recently. I found it to be informative & exciting. We have signed up for the M5 & asset protection workshop. I am looking forward to and excited about working with this co. I want to thank Ryan & Jamie for their knowledge & efforts. PS James Smith is more fun than going to the comedy club!
Ken Cruise
By Acurrlady,  Sun Mar 13 2011, 23:20
Would anyone share what you have learned via email?
By Phill & Theresa Slocum,  Thu Mar 31 2011, 01:28
Hi Ken Cruise,

I absolutely agree with you. I could not get enough of James Smith. He is a very entertaining guy.
By Enthusiast,  Sun Apr 3 2011, 19:49
I could not agree more that James Smith company is well worth the introduction and medium for thoughts, ideas and information! James Smith is avante garde and entertaining but the true value was his son Ryan! I have never experienced an epiphany of humanitarian exposure and education! This man goes beyond any expectation and surpasses more than I ever could imagine............he picks up his family, wife, friends and all others as a crusader! DO NOT MISS OUT ON ANY FUTURE OPPORTUNIES OF EXPERIENCING HIM! I can not say more!!
By John,  Thu Apr 14 2011, 10:03
It was difficult to ascertain the problems with the offer of training and coaching. The James Smith Company has some of the same owners as The Summit Group - Summit Consulting - Bright Builders - Electronic Clearinghouse - IDI - Internet Coaching - PMI/NMR Coaching - Auctions For Income - IDI - The Tax Club. These organizations have been accused of misrepresented services, rip-offs, and abusive strong arm tactics; refusing refunds when confronted with misrepresentations, and hiding behind fictitious names to prevent accountability. The hidden name was problematic.
By Missmary8,  Mon May 23 2011, 18:28
I was ripped off and so were many others by the James Smith Real Estate Seminars.. and I think that some if not all of the people above somehow work for or with James Smith... I found NO VALUE in the courses whatsoever! Many other of the student have gone bankrupt from following their advice.. if you or anyone you know have also had a bad experience please contact me at missmary8@yahoo.com... many have filed report with the FBI and the attorney general's offices from state to state
By Phill & Theresa Slocum,  Mon May 23 2011, 21:01
I do not know the Smith family personally. I have never had a conversation with james Smith. I met his son Ryan at the 3 day seminar, so No I have no personal gain by my comments. I visited with Ryan, and I had to wait in line with all the others to get to visit with him.

I do not work for them or know any of the Smith family personally. I was just sharing my experience, and thought it might be a good topic for a blog, nothing more than that.

But I wished I ran in their circle, and knew them personally!
By Jim,  Wed May 25 2011, 13:44
I also have been to the James Smith 3 day Real Estate seminar and the 3 day stock/options/forex seminar. My father and I purchased the 16 week real estate mentorship program where you spend 1 hr per week on the phone with a "real" real estate investor. I was totally sold on James Smith and his son Ryan. I do believe they are genuine in there passion for helping people but, they are running a business.. a business that makes a lot of money selling their various programs. I would venture to guess they make way more money traveling the country putting on these seminars than they actually make doing what they teach. Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of what they teach could, should, and will work but do I think their programs are worth the money...No! I appreciate what I learned, and the rah rah, uplifting feel good seminars but, all I have to show for it is knowledge and a bunch of credit card debt. A website I found to be very useful for real estate investors, after I'd already spent the money with James Smith is reiclub.com and it's free! I spent $3000 on the 3 day real estate/ tax deed tax lien/seminar and another $10,000 on the 16 week program, $2000 on the tax saving/asset protections plan and another $3000 on the stocks/options/forex 3 day seminar. Before James Smith I had zero credit card debt , now a year+ later I still owe more than $10,000 on that damn credit card thanks to James Smith. They are very good as selling you on an idea and dream, but is it worth going into debt for? No! If I had to do it all over again would I spend the money? No! Even if I had all the money to buy the programs with cash, I'd do a lot of reading on various FREE websites such as Reiclub.com and use the cash I had to actually invest in real estate. The dream of buying real estate with no money down, since the real estate melt down, is just that, a dream. James Smith Company wanted me open a bunch of credit card accounts then to buy real estate on them. That was their definition of no money down. I am not ok with that. That is one quick way to end up bankrupt! And, for those out there that actually do buy real estate with no money down, congradulations, you just did what 98% of the rest of the population will never be able to do. I asked my James Smith Coach personally how many people that he has coached have really hit it big! He told me less than 10% because most people will, over time, loose interest and won't do anything with the knowledge. In order to be in the real estate game you need money and a lot of it to start with. I would say the only thing that has paid off for me is the options trading. I have stuck with it and am consistently making between 10% and 16% on my money per month, that's right per month! I have done this for 7 months in a row now and 9 out of the last 11 months. This is all with real money! That was after 2 months using a paper account which would have netted those returns as well! The nice thing with options trading as opposed to real estate, it takes almost no time at all to do. Real estate is very time intensive. In my opinion, I would stay away from the forex market, you can make a lot of money quick or you can loose it quick. I paper traded it and doubles my money in 4 days. I thought cool...So, I put $1200 of real money to work and in three days lost 70% of that! Now that I am killing it in the options market, I have come to the realization that I'd like to teach others how to do the same. Who wouldn't want a 10 to 16% return on their money? I see the money people charge and make off these seminars! I, like James Smith, truly want to help people but, I want paid for that knowledge. I hope that I can put on some seminars of my own in the future or train some people in what I'm doing. If I charged $1000 to $2000 for a 3 day training seminar and had 25 people sign up that's $25,000 to $50,000 of gross income for three days of work! There is no way I could make that income trading options alone with the current size of my account. I would only need to do that 2-4 times per year to live very comfortably! This is what James Smith does!

Sincerely,

Jim
By Lovetosell,  Sat May 28 2011, 00:28
I loved the time I spent today with James Smith. I learned all about how to free my self from the constraints of the corporate world. I look forward to investing money into this.
By Doyourhomework,  Mon May 30 2011, 16:21
I attended the recent 3day seminar, it was very uplifting and informative. The Smith family and friends that taught
the seminar did an excellent job! If you dont apply the infomation thats on you not them.
By Bryan Forsythe,  Sat Jun 25 2011, 08:01
I went to the 3 day free seminar. Fell for the assertion they could turn my 15K into, "a fortune". I signed up for the cash flow seminar=$3995. For whatever reason, a few days later I was, then "selected" to be in their special program to be mentored, one on one, for the low price of 7K, which would be for real estate training. One, this so called program is really nothing more than a couple of days to make sure the mark actually can pay the 7K required. I've talked to a few people, who are actually some of the hired guns the James Smith Company employs, and they were unaware of this program. One Kerry Lucas did at first pretend he was going to figure this out for me, but in reality only wanted to sell his program, which he asserted, "was much cheaper than I had paid". I'm looking for as many individuals as I can to start a class action lawsuit against this company. I have much more information, and a longer list of complaints, than I want to type right now. If you have found this post and are wondering about JSC, I can tell you some things. Please contact me at mcglyph@gmail.com soonest. Stay away from the James Smith Company, do not buy into the very high priced program they offer, as there are no refunds, and a man named Nate Day is seemingly for me at least the only one I can work things out with. If you want to be successful, the tools are out there, you don't need to go to this company for anything. If you want training in real estate save your 10K or whatever, and find a real estate club (they are every where). My coach had me do this exact thing, go to a real estate club, that was his first pearl of advice. The people at the real estate club told me I should have saved my money. Do not be like me, please look elsewhere for training.
By Bryan Forsythe,  Sat Jun 25 2011, 08:02
By Steffi Harvey,  Fri Aug 19 2011, 10:52
Here is my question EVERYONE. . . . . I am finding a few negative things about James Smith, but LOTS AND LOTS of positive things. The thing is, all the positive things I'm finding is NOT success stories. They are just emotional highs from the positively charged conferences. Yes, I agree a positive attitude is very important. And the classes are very exciting. And we have been. And we think the education was worth it and some of them can/will work IF you apply yourself. But I just want to see some testimonials other than what James Smith website offers. Does this bother anyone else? I mean, IF I were to make a ton of money using his program, I would want to shout it to the world!!!!! Yet, I can't find that. . . . . anyone follow-up with some success stories or input????
By Phill & Theresa Slocum,  Thu Sep 1 2011, 22:29
OK, here is a tidbit of valuable information. We have learned that almost all short sale properties with a contract on the subject property is a waste of time. We have placed offers on several, and not one has matured into a solid deal. The negotiators, seem to want to keep the properties. The owners are willing sellers. They want out, but the negotiator/lender will take months 5 to 8 months, and just when you think you are going to get to close; the negotiator pulls the plug, and says you have no deal.

Here is what I believe is going on.

The lender does not truly want to sell the property and let the owners out of the responsibility because the mortgage lender will collect the insurance paid for the default loan which was insured, so they collect the insurance paid. Then they buy the property back at the sheriff sale, and resell the property. The owners get the shaft, and the banks/mortgage lenders are making out like bandits.

Very few short sales actually do work. Check out the Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac website for properties that are for sale; http://www.homesteps.com & http://www.homepath.com ; also check the bank websites too many properties lost to the foreclosure process. ..
By Evie Johns,  Wed Nov 30 2011, 07:38
I have attended the 3-day seminar and I agree with Byran. Ryan Smith is a funny and smart man but when you get people who are down and out and then add spirituality to it boy that really plays on peoples emotions.. I feel it is all a rah rah event and they are in business and all the serving is a play on emotions...If it was that good and they are RICH and truely want to help, then train the ones who want to learn and take their cut out of the first, and second transaction! But no it is all Business and about making money so nice try but I didn't fall for it,... Sorry Bryan.
To Phil & Theresa Slocum not sure what state you are in but I have closed many short sales and yes they are drawn out and banks request a lot of paperwork that doesn't make sense but you have to be calling them everyday and give them what they are requesting this is why you need a experienced Realtor who has done short sales...and if there is a second lien holder wow now you have a whole different ball game... I feel your fustration but next time make sure the agent you are working with knows what he or she is doing. But again Ryan Smith says not to use Realtors?
By Phill & Theresa Slocum,  Wed Nov 30 2011, 16:44
Hi Evie,
I would like to thank you for your contribution. Thank you for taking the time to leave a nice lengthy reply.

Phill & I are experienced short sale REALTORS. The above comment was a property we placed under contract for our son, so you can bet that we were on top of checking on the status of the short sale. I personally know the listing REALTOR, and she is an instructor for real estate school, plus she has been in the business for 13 or more years. We all know the ins and outs of a short sale. Nope the BOA back tracked. We had a deal. They said we did not. BOA assigned a new negotiator who said no deal, and tried to renegotiate. And we all know banks are upright and honest right (not). So anyways my son walked due to the terrible way BOA handled the case. Believe it or not, we had a deal with BOA. They brought in a new negotiator and said no deal. I know some short sales do get closed, as we have closed short sales ourselves, but a lot do not also. And I do believe they have found a way to make money by not accepting contracts. I closed a short sale recently, which she gave us an almost impossible deadline due to circumstances with the title company, and the negotiator choose the title company, and the title not being ready, only by the grace of God were we able to close that deal. The negotiator which was Citibank was rigid and would not bend. They stuck to their deadlines, and if we had not closed they were going to start the foreclosure process on the seller. We were the listing REALTOR and the seller was the most cooperative home owner doing her best to get all her paperwork into the bank. She was more than awesome, the best possible short sale home owner a REALTOR could ask for.
I do Thank you again for your comments, but the inexperienced REALTOR comment is unwarranted, as we are experienced, and we do know the short sale process. It is just not the best process to buy a house, if you are looking to purchase a property, due to the time & energy and the enormous amount of time that goes into acquiring a short sale.

As far as the James Smith remarks, Yes a lot of it is spiritual and emotional. I like your idea, and wouldn't it be a wonderful world, if that was the way all companies did their business. I wished it were true, but none of the companies offering this type of training are offering to train you to get some sales, and then get their cut. And if there are, please let us know, so we can rush there and get to making money. I mean that sincerely.

May the Best of Life bring you much happiness and prosperity in all areas of Life to all who read this.

Thank You for sharing your thoughts.
By K.c.,  Thu Jan 19 2012, 15:01
We went to the $49 starter event in Kanas City after the Get Motivated Event. This was a 3 day class and we received good information. We did not sign-up for the longer more expensive workshops. The Smith Company guarenteed they would return our $49 if we attend all the classes. We did and much to our surprise about 8 weeks later we received a Visa Gift Card in the mail for $49. I wasn't convinced that the additional classes were for us and we never signed up for anything else. Thanks
By Randy G Morley,  Wed Oct 17 2012, 19:45
I saw James for an hour at an Omar Periu seminar,... which by the way is not only not worth the money but not worth the time,.. with the exception of what I saw of James Smith. To describe Mr. Smith,.. imagine a clean mouthed Dennis Leary and I believe he has adopted Dennis' style for his own presentation due to a similarity in appearance. Yes it was Rah Rah,... and part of what he was pushing were DEA, Marshalls Sales etc. (All of which by the way are handled by the US Marshalls office and available to see without paying anyone along with the results of those auctions,.. no real money is being made there,.. which cast a little shadow on the other items that he was talking about. I am scheduled to attend a 3 day which I know will be filled with a load of teasers,.. touching on some items but lacking in meat,.. let's face it,.. they cannot pay for the rooms with what they charge for the seminar.

During my due diligence on James Smith and Co. I spoke with the author of this blog,.. with a supremely simple question,.. since it has been 3 years since you took the course,.. would you do it again,... the answer was a simple "No Comment" which tells me all I need to know because if they were still as jazzed about it as they were right after they took the course,.. they would be 1.) Fully endorsing the program with enthusiasm and 2.) If it worked like I am sure they hoped,.. they sure would not be doing short sales in the REal Estate market,... I am a 27 year veteran in Real Estate and while most of my shorts are successful,... it is a very difficult market and requires far more work than the typical resale or repo.

Best of luck to you all.
By Phill & Theresa Slocum,  Fri Oct 19 2012, 20:49
2 things, 1. Mr. Morley, Did not disclose that he was a REALTOR. I found out by asking. Secondly, that is not exactly the question he asked. He said, Would I spend the money again. My answer is My circumstances are entirely different than anyone elses. I am not going to be responsible for anyone elses decision. I stand by my original post, which started this Blog, but you who are reading this do not know any of the details, which are my personal financial details and our Particular circumstances, so my answer is still evaluate your situation and determine for yourself with your financial picture if you should go or not. And as an alternative there is a wealth of information you can buy cheaply at Amazon.com and still learn. I presently am receiving a lot of education from RichDadWorld. A lot of learning for not much money, but I am referring to online learning, not going to the physical seminars. Oh by the way, Mr. Morley hung up on me and did not want to understand or listen to my comment. I can not be responsible for other peoples decisions. Ryan Smith was wonderful to me & my family. So I still have nothing but good things to say regarding the Smith Family. But I will add that I did visit with a person who experienced a very bad situation. They did not want to leave a comment or their name. It was really sad for them.

I want to conclude with Phill and I do much more than just short sales. Presently we have helped young couples buy their first property, we are working with investors. We do much more than only short sales. Thank you very much Mr. Morley. And due to being held liable for others I probably would not endorse anything. It just would not be smart business for me.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse errors.
By grubert33,  Wed Feb 26 2014, 19:16
This is a massive ripoff. I went to one in Ft Lauderdale in 2010. Don't spend the money. I blew $17,000 on real estate investing [that James or Ryan did not teach.] Also, purchased stock investing along with a mentorship, along with some tax strategies and finding grant money. ALL a waste of money. Run, don't walk away from this company.